New guy waiting for new 3120

/ New guy waiting for new 3120 #1  

garth466

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 3120
Wow, getting approval on this site was harder than getting approved for that 0% financing. At least I was able to read many postings before making my final pick. I really wanted to make sure that going green wasn't a bad idea compared to the rest as I know close to nothing about tractors. I already have an X320 for mowing and John Deere clothing and signs all over. Orange or Blue just wouldn't seem appropriate in my stable.

I'm buying a wobbly box (mobile home) on 2.5 very dark acres. It is loaded with huge 2nd growth Pacific Northwest Lumber. My plan is to have it logged leaving the perimeter alone for a wall. The trees should help pay for the tractor and the mess gives me an excuse to buy it besides the real reason for the purchase (I've always wanted a tractor).

I hope I went down the right road on the 3120. I probably could get by with the next size smaller, but thought the much larger tractor for a little more money made sense. I don't know if my train of though is correct, but my thinking is that I'd have a harder time breaking a 29.5 horse tractor that is the same unit they put 44 horses in. Another $1000 gets me another 3 horses, but I don't know if I can justify it.

Here's what I'm getting. A 3120 with 300CX loader, 4-in-1 bucket and 5' box blade for $23,700 out the door. That includes the extra $700 for 0% and our governor's share. I think the cash price works out to $22,300. I think I am going to finance it since the $700 will show back up for me in just less than 7 months if I leave the money there.

I can pick it up now or wait until whatever parts we are waiting for regarding the 4-in-1 set up. They said I can beat up their bucket on them. I don't really have anything of my own to mess with, but I have a few friends that said I can practice on their property.

Mostly, just an introduction. I'm sure I will be bugging you experts for free advise often.

Garrett

/ New guy waiting for new 3120 #2  
Welcome to TBN Garrett:D

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you and your new tractor! Please be sure to post pictures, as WE LOVE PICTURES!

/ New guy waiting for new 3120 #3  
Garrett

One thing you'll find is that you will find uses for your tractor that you never even considered when you bought it.

That 4 in 1 bucket is bound to be handy.

About this site; well I learn good stuff every day from all these folks.

Enjoy and welcome.

/ New guy waiting for new 3120
I'm hoping that 4-in-1 is as handy as I think it could be. I got the idea for one of those grapple grabber thingys when looking for tractors on Craigslist. I found an 03 4130 with 260 hours that had that and a back hoe for $21,000. It seemed like a deal until I visited Barnett's and figured out I could have a new 3120 set up exactly the same for around $27,000 which isn't enough of a spread to buy used. Plus, I'm not sure what I need a tractor for yet, let alone a back hoe! At this point, I'd get into trouble with that for sure.

I want to be able to deal with the aftermath of logging. To get the most out of your logs of course you would have a yard full of stumps, but for a small fee they will usually pull those things up for you. I plan on having lots of fires. We also have a lot of Alder around here and it grows like weeds. They usually fall on their own, but if under 15' they can easily be pushed down then picked up and piled. I also hope I can reach into black berries with that 4-in-1 and rip them out.

I'm contemplating a brush hog also. Though I can see no reason why I would need it for myself I might be able to have other people pay for it. I'm hoping that between my trees and other projects, in 3 years I will have a free tractor.

/ New guy waiting for new 3120 #5  
Garrett

Sounds like you have a good plan. I wish I was that organized. I just use mine to make my chores a bit easier to do. Arlington is over North of Everett isn't it. Whole different climate over on this side of the state.

Yes EdC, I'm just north of Everett. I grew up in Marysville which is the next town North of Everett. What part of east of the mountains are you? I love it over there. I almost up and left for Colville when my life started to unravel a few months ago. I decided to hang out on this side of the mountains for a little while longer. I'm losing the huge estate and the wife, but I get a tractor! There's nobody to tell me I can't.

I've got too much of a mess to still deal with on this side, being a slum lord and all. Hopefully those things start to pay for themselves one day. I never have been one to have huge payments going out, so it is for the better. I've also learned a very valuable lesson. You can take the girl out of the city, but you can't take the city out of the girl.

Luckily I picked this spread for a song, so we were able to almost break even in this slow market. We're just going where we belong. Her, a luxo condo in down town Everett 2 minutes from work and me to a doublewide with a red wood deck.

I may be over there yet though. Pomeroy is always a possibility also. I got to fight a wild land fire over there a few years back. Made a contact for pheasant hunting and figured out I could feasibly cut a check for a nice spot there. The only question is, what to do? Beer, milk and fuel still cost money even if you don't have a house payment.

While I'm here, do you guys think that i-match is worth the extra money? I'll have a box blade and probably a brush hog of some sort. Also I want to correctly use ballast.

/ New guy waiting for new 3120 #8  
garth466 said:
While I'm here, do you guys think that i-match is worth the extra money?

:DYES:D

/ New guy waiting for new 3120 #9  
Garrett

Yes for a tractor that size (and implements sized to fit the tractor) I Match or equivalent would be really handy. As far as ballast is concerned I usually keep my rear scraper blade on and that works well enough. I would imagine a box scraper would serve as well for you. Eventually I may buy a ballast box but that will be after a few more implements.

The closest town to me is Edwall, it's about 8 miles northwest of my place but we are pretty much out in the sticks. My wife picked it out when I got out of the military and she did a pretty good job. Place needs work but there is only one security light in view.

/ New guy waiting for new 3120 #10  
Congrats on the new tractor. I think you're gonna like it.

You might want to think about filling the rear tires for ballast. I think they ride a little better with the tires filled too.

As soon as you can I would like to see some pictures of the tractor and your place. It sounds nice.