New here - Should I care about written specs?

/ New here - Should I care about written specs? #131  
TripleR said:
I have not gone back and read all the posts, I think I posted early and dropped out. I have been operating tractors for well over fifty years and still get useful advice from TBN members on buying and using tractors and equipment.

I have gotten into the occasional kerfuffel with a member, but often became or remained friends and if not at least a level of civility, so I continue to view TBN as a great site for old and new members.

I hope you come to feel the same.:thumbsup:

I'll second what TripleR says here. Lots of friendly and helpful people here. You will get your tractor and most likely whatever you buy you will have something you wish you had was different. That's Murphy's law.

Gosh TripleR. How old are you? haha. I guess your still burning up in SE MO? I just joy ride on my tractor now days. The grass is dried up and ground is hard as a rock.

/ New here - Should I care about written specs? #132  
I'll second what TripleR says here. Lots of friendly and helpful people here. You will get your tractor and most likely whatever you buy you will have something you wish you had was different. That's Murphy's law.

Gosh TripleR. How old are you? haha. I guess your still burning up in SE MO? I just joy ride on my tractor now days. The grass is dried up and ground is hard as a rock.

And I will "third" it. Regardless of where you go, whether it be TBN or the local farm store, you will eventually end up running into someone that will simply "insist" that only their viewpoint is the one you should consider, and straying from it makes you somehow wrong.

While I understand Don's continuously pointing out that comparisons were being done between different categories of machines, I find that fact largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. There will always be crossover in capabilities from one category to the next. And, if your needs are "on that line", then you have to decide which side of the line to buy on.

/ New here - Should I care about written specs? #133  

Proud to say I have made it through 65 years. When I was growing up on a farm, kids started working in the fields very early and often began driving a tractor as early as five or six at least in a straight line pulling trailers while the corn was picked by hand. No babysitters in those days, so mom pulled the little ones through the cotton field riding on her cotton sack and when we got mobile, we helped her fill it up.

No "hill drop planters, so cotton was planted in a continuous row then thinned by hand with a hoe leaving no less than three nor more than five plants in a "hill" the first chopping then more thinning and weeds on the second chopping a few weeks later.

I went looking for work the other day and mostly just drove around too; too darned hot for much of anything. I did find a couple of weed patches that need mowing, so I hooked up to the rotary cutter yesterday. It will take me about as much time to get there as cut it, but what are you gonna do.:laughing:

/ New here - Should I care about written specs? #134  
Proud to say I have made it through 65 years. When I was growing up on a farm, kids started working in the fields very early and often began driving a tractor as early as five or six at least in a straight line pulling trailers while the corn was picked by hand. No babysitters in those days, so mom pulled the little ones through the cotton field riding on her cotton sack and when we got mobile, we helped her fill it up.

No "hill drop planters, so cotton was planted in a continuous row then thinned by hand with a hoe leaving no less than three nor more than five plants in a "hill" the first chopping then more thinning and weeds on the second chopping a few weeks later.

I went looking for work the other day and mostly just drove around too; too darned hot for much of anything. I did find a couple of weed patches that need mowing, so I hooked up to the rotary cutter yesterday. It will take me about as much time to get there as cut it, but what are you gonna do.:laughing:

I'm not too far behind you. I'll be 59 soon. Grew up in a smaller town then went worked on a farm during the summer putting up hay. Then when I got out of the service I went to work for the county and the first job I had was running a john deere with a sickle mower. I was in the Colorado mountains and I thought I was in heaven. I worked on the inlaws ranch for several years later but decided I wasn't into starving to death and went back to construction. It's been mostly highway construction running bulldozers and motor graders most of my life. It has been a good trade for me.

/ New here - Should I care about written specs? #135  
I'm not too far behind you. I'll be 59 soon. Grew up in a smaller town then went worked on a farm during the summer putting up hay. Then when I got out of the service I went to work for the county and the first job I had was running a john deere with a sickle mower. I was in the Colorado mountains and I thought I was in heaven. I worked on the inlaws ranch for several years later but decided I wasn't into starving to death and went back to construction. It's been mostly highway construction running bulldozers and motor graders most of my life. It has been a good trade for me.

I can sure relate to that, I had to get out of farming too. I still helped my father in law on his farms, but we didn't do it for profit rather to establish wildlife habitat, reforestation, establishing native grasses, ponds for recreation and flood control; still working on our farms maintaining them and renting the row crop land out. It's a family effort with my wife and sons and someday grand kids.