New Hobart 140.. can I weld on bucket hooks?

/ New Hobart 140.. can I weld on bucket hooks? #12  
What thickness of material vs wire gauge is important. .035 wire best but .030 might also.
I would not weld with .025

As someone else said, you can check the charts to see what your welder is capable of.
.035 solid wire is too heavy for a 115 volt machine like a Hobart Handler 140. .023 or .025 wire will actually penetrate better. For flux core .030 or .035 is fine. How thick is the bucket where the hook is going to welded? My bucket was only about 1/16 thick where I wanted to weld the hooks so I welded large 1/4 plates to the bucket and then welded the hooks to the plates.
Eric

/ New Hobart 140.. can I weld on bucket hooks? #13  
I’m practicing mig welding and would like to weld some hooks on my bucket. Can I mig weld hooks on? Will mig welds provide a strong enough bond?
Your welder has the capability to do this job. I can not answer the "I" part.

Take your time and properly prepare the area. Clean shiny metal is your friend.

Probably going to need multiple passes depending on the design of the hooks.

/ New Hobart 140.. can I weld on bucket hooks? #14  
Being a novice welder has vastly improved my grinding skills.
GrindWeld.jpg

/ New Hobart 140.. can I weld on bucket hooks? #15  
.035 solid wire is too heavy for a 115 volt machine like a Hobart Handler 140. .023 or .025 wire will actually penetrate better. For flux core .030 or .035 is fine. How thick is the bucket where the hook is going to welded? My bucket was only about 1/16 thick where I wanted to weld the hooks so I welded large 1/4 plates to the bucket and then welded the hooks to the plates.
Eric
Yep. I burn .035 with my Miller 250.

/ New Hobart 140.. can I weld on bucket hooks? #18  
Well, I am certainly no "expert" with a Mig gun, having done it with other peoples machines about twice. But I have welded up a bunch of things with the two stick machines I have owned. I have learned a few things. It is easier to make prettier welds with a DC machine. It is easier to make prettier welds with 7018, one you figure out how to make it run. And it is FAR easier to make good pretty welds with a auto-darkening helmet than without one. :).

I have learned there is no substitute for practice, and I have learned that weld prep is the key to pretty and strong welds, the less crap you are trying to weld thru, the better looking and stronger by far the welds will be. I have learned that settling down, and taking your time and steadying your hand, and getting your body as "untense" as possible will usually result in better welds.

I have learned that yes, you really can benefit by watching every welding video put out by Jody from welding tips and tricks on you tube CAN really improve your welding if you pay attention to them. I have learned that practice, practice, and some more practice is the road to perfection, and then take the time to critique your own welds, and test them with a big hammer.

See if you are improving and think thru what you have learned and try to apply that. Learning to weld is an acquired skill like driving for instance, but it isn't quite as hard as learning to drive, because all of the disaster factors are right there in your own hands. You don't have to worry that someone is going to T-bone you at an intersection. :)

/ New Hobart 140.. can I weld on bucket hooks? #19  
I have a stick welder. Maybe weld twice a year on small projects. Getting proficient welds but not the prettiest. Thus the grinder.
DC welder for starters, 7018 or 7014 are easier to make pretty welds not needing any grinding. Good auto-darkening helmet so you can get a good start and watch that puddle.

/ New Hobart 140.. can I weld on bucket hooks? #20  
DC welder for starters, 7018 or 7014 are easier to make pretty welds not needing any grinding. Good auto-darkening helmet so you can get a good start and watch that puddle.

I have an Everlast 200sti (DC only)and use 7018. My welds are like me, not pretty but can get the job done...