new holland 3930

/ new holland 3930 #11  
I have been looking into the differences between the 3930 and 4630. The only clear difference I can find is the price difference (3930s tend to run a couple thousand less than 4630s). It seems that no one can really explan how the 4630 is rated 10 horsepower over the 3930 but uses the same engine.

This is making me lean towards buying a 3930...same tractor, less money.

/ new holland 3930 #12  
might be a turbo, fuel knob on the pump or rpm rating difference.

LOTS of machines share an engine with different hp rating based on how they are setup with the injection pump or presence/lack of a turbo, and what governed rpm they run at. IE.. 3930 might be detuned.

soundguy

/ new holland 3930 #13  
also where the rings are located on the piston has alot to do with the hp. a ford 2000 is 32 pto hp and the 3000 is 42 pto hp and have the same ci motor

/ new holland 3930 #14  
So for the obvious question: Is it easy to turn up a 3930 to near 4630 specs, if so desired? Has anyone seen anything that says that the compression ratio is different? I remember reading that both tractors had turbos in their later years for emissions reasons. I beleive both used the 192ci engine during that time. It just seems like a very minimal difference in these two tractors for the price.

/ new holland 3930
So for the obvious question: Is it easy to turn up a 3930 to near 4630 specs, if so desired? Has anyone seen anything that says that the compression ratio is different? I remember reading that both tractors had turbos in their later years for emissions reasons. I beleive both used the 192ci engine during that time. It just seems like a very minimal difference in these two tractors for the price.

Also depends on year of tractor. The 98 and 99 3930's actually shipped with 60 engine hp and 52 pto hp. Same 192 turbo engine just turned up i guess. Not many people are aware of this. All other 3930's came with 45hp at the pto. i actually had a 98 3930 and it was very strong. You can also goto Nebraska test reports to see actual ratings.

/ new holland 3930 #16  
Also, if you look at New Hollands parts listing on thier site they show the 3.2L turbo engine for 98 and 99 tractors. They also told me that all 3930's had to be turbo charged for 98 and later to meet new emmission standards for the US. Apparently, NH is not very good at documention as i have a 1971 4000SU that we purchased new but New Holland says the SU didn't start unitl the 4600 series. I made sure te tell them other wise and then they proceeded to admit some of the documents may not be up to date. Anyway, the tractor is next to new and considering i'm a nut about equipment history i'm trying to get my facts staight. Amazingly enough there is very little on the internet about later years 3930's. By the way, tractor data is know for mistakes and or leaving out chucks of specs for the tractors. Its a good start but falls way short of showing all the specs.

Thanks for your help!

Turbocharged 4630's and 3930's (emissionized) are well documented, as are 4000SU tractors. If one goes looking for information on late 30 series emissionized tractors in publications that were printed prior to 1998, you will come up empty because those variations did not exist at the time of publication. A properly dated operator's manual is likely to fill in many blanks for you. The electrical schematics for the latest 30 series tractors are not in the electrical section of the voluminous service manual, but in the last section, 14, I believe. It's all about getting info from people who are informed, and hard copy stuff from the proper sources.
When you say "New Holland says" if you are referring to dealership personnel, they are grossly uninformed, it seems. All too often it's impossible to say "I don't know, but I can find out" and too easy to just blow smoke.