New Holland 545d Turbo - Fuel system problems

/ New Holland 545d Turbo - Fuel system problems #1  

Snappy80

Tractor
Case backhoe, Cat skid steer , New Holland Skip
Hi everyone, I am about to pull my hair out. I have a 545d Turbo and it keeps dieing. It seams like air is in the fuel system. I have replaced orings in the fuel lines going to the injector pump. It idles fine but any throttle you give it will dies. I been told there is no way to test the injector pump. I keep bleeding the injectors but with no luck. Please help... Thanks

/ New Holland 545d Turbo - Fuel system problems #2  
Have you run down any possible restriction or leak in the lines from tank through to pump, incl return line(s)? Maybe more filters than you see, like just at fitting at bottom of tank. Piece of junk in tank? Bad fuel? So you get fuel at injectors when you crack the lines? More info = more help.
Jim

/ New Holland 545d Turbo - Fuel system problems
Fuel is good and flows fine to the fuel filter. I replaced the o ring that looked old going out of the fuel filter to the injection pump. I think the injection pump is running off vacuum from the manifold. But I don't know. I have a friend at new holland and have acces to service manuals. Some years have a fuel pump but this one doesn't. But the problem is there is no information on testing the injection pump. The new holland dealer does not work on 545s anymore because lack of support and parts.

The tractor runs great on idle when u give it gas it runs like its out fuel and sucking air. When I crack the injectors I get fuel squirting out. I have replaced the fuel filters.

😩

/ New Holland 545d Turbo - Fuel system problems #4  
There is no lack of support for that engine and fuel system from New Holland.
Test the injectors. I have seen an injector stick open, allowing compression to be forced back into the IP and essentially create the symptoms you describe.
There is always a test procedure for injection pumps. Almost always involves being run on a test bench at a diesel injection shop.

/ New Holland 545d Turbo - Fuel system problems #5  
Check your fuel filter. I had a customer change his filters with Napa filters and he left the old oring in the filter head. The Napa filter didn't have a lot of clearance between the outside and the internal passage on the inside wall of the filter. The filter oring flopped over into this area and caused a restriction.
Also, there is no vacuum connection between the pump and manifold. The injection pump has an internal vane pump to feed the injection pump.

/ New Holland 545d Turbo - Fuel system problems #6  
Check your fuel filter. I had a customer change his filters with Napa filters and he left the old oring in the filter head. The Napa filter didn't have a lot of clearance between the outside and the internal passage on the inside wall of the filter. The filter oring flopped over into this area and caused a restriction.
Also, there is no vacuum connection between the pump and manifold. The injection pump has an internal vane pump to feed the injection pump.

This is likely to be one of the few late emissionized 545D's. Could be the wrong fuel filter sucking air. There's a few different flavors of that filter; not all fit properly.

/ New Holland 545d Turbo - Fuel system problems #7  
This is likely to be one of the few late emissionized 545D's. Could be the wrong fuel filter sucking air. There's a few different flavors of that filter; not all fit properly.

Yes Rick, the turbo 545D is emissionized with a spin-on Bosch filter.

/ New Holland 545d Turbo - Fuel system problems #8  

It's not what I call a spin on, but that's neither here nor there. Hopefully the filter number is 87801434. There are other applications that uses that style filter that absolutely will not work on that particular filter head. The alignment notches are different, but given enough force, it probably could be shoved on, deformed, and then suck air.

/ New Holland 545d Turbo - Fuel system problems #9  
TractorTech, I have a 2001 NH545D EMISSIONIZED. I have the service manual but I realized it does not cover the 2001 emissionized tractor. The fuel injection pump is different and has a different removal procedure. My SN is A445238. Do you have any docs on the inkection pump revoal procedure for this tractor?