New Holland Boomer CVT's---Have they got the bugs worked out?

/ New Holland Boomer CVT's---Have they got the bugs worked out? #1  

WCarp

Tractor
NH Boomer 3050
After my TC45D burned up, I am looking again for another tractor with a loader. Mine had a hydrostatic transmission and after reading quite a few posts here and elsewhere, I am wondering if I should stay with a hydro or go with a CVT transmission. I haven't found any posts after 2013, if I'm not mistaken about CVT issues, so I'm wondering if New Holland got the bugs worked out with the CVT that's in the Boomers or not? A significant problem is that I can't find a newer tractor so far with all or most of the of the nice features of the 2002 TC45D. Mine had SuperSteer.

For one thing, if I did get a tractor with a CVT, I'm concerned about the additional complexity and from the sounds of it, in order to properly fix some things, you would have to have a device to connect to the computer system to tell you want's going on. Also, if I'm out in a field somewhere, I don't want a computer glitch to stop the tractor. I've also read about the need to warm up the tractor with a CVT before it will operate as usual. It sounds like many would rather use a hydro if they use a loader a lot but I guess some think the CVT is easy to use with a loader.

An interesting thing is that the local NH dealers are not really familiar with them like I expected them to be, apparently, because they're not selling very many. I understand that one reason is that they operate differently and another is that the price is higher.

Could someone with experience with Boomer CVTs make some comments?

Thanks.

/ New Holland Boomer CVT's---Have they got the bugs worked out? #2  
... A significant problem is that I can't find a newer tractor so far with all or most of the of the nice features of the 2002 TC45D. Mine had SuperSteer....

I don't know which features you are speaking about ... But I would suspect that nearly every modern manufacturer offers a CUT similar in features (or exceeding) to your TC45. If you are sticking strictly to NH cab machines, then you are severely limiting your possibilities.

Last edited:
   / New Holland Boomer CVT's---Have they got the bugs worked out? #3  
The only thing I can tell you about the Boomer CVT tractors is that my NH dealer stopped carrying them and doesn't plan on carrying them in the future. They don't carry the LS re-branded models either. The service manager said that if I want to stay with NH, keeping the TC35D going is my best bet for now. That said, I really want a cab, so I've still been checking out other options. The Massey sitting on TSO's trailer in his sig is at the top of the list.

So...what happened to your tractor?

/ New Holland Boomer CVT's---Have they got the bugs worked out? #4  
I sell the CaseIH equivilant to the boomer CVT, in my opinion go to another brand. These tractors are very expensive for what they are, and the quality just isnt there. CVT tranny is pretty rough in these.

Try Kioti, much nicer tractor for the money.

/ New Holland Boomer CVT's---Have they got the bugs worked out? #5  
I have many posts in the New Holland section of this forum and so does jackfrst/jackfrost why we both traded in our Boomer 3050's with CVT within a year for NH T4.75's Below is a picture of my best day last year when the Boomer 3050 was picked up and the T4.75 was delivered!
New Holland T4.75 2014 003.jpg

/ New Holland Boomer CVT's---Have they got the bugs worked out? #6  
That said, I really want a cab, so I've still been checking out other options. The Massey sitting on TSO's trailer in his sig is at the top of the list.
Keep yer paws off my girl! LOL.

/ New Holland Boomer CVT's---Have they got the bugs worked out? #7  
Keep yer paws off my girl! LOL.

Man...I can't! I just want to go out and spread gravel all day with the little lady. :D

/ New Holland Boomer CVT's---Have they got the bugs worked out? #8  
An interesting thing is that the local NH dealers are not really familiar with them like I expected them to be, apparently, because they're not selling very many. I understand that one reason is that they operate differently and another is that the price is higher.

I know nothing about them other than what Ive read, and it never impressed me much. If what you're saying about the dealer is true, I would not buy one or even consider it. In my opinion and past experience, the dealer support is always the first thing i take into consideration when making an equipment purchase. You want them to be "Johnny on the spot" when theres a problem (hopefully never) and competent if a repair is ever needed. Don't be afraid to look at a different make of machine if the NH dealer makes you uneasy, just my .02$

/ New Holland Boomer CVT's---Have they got the bugs worked out? #9  
I agree with Utopia Texas stay away from the cvt. We kept our 3050cvt for just over a year nothing but problems. Thank God it's gone!

/ New Holland Boomer CVT's---Have they got the bugs worked out? #10  
I would not dismiss them so quickly. I have the Case 45CVT which is the equivalent to the Boomer 3040. It has a few quirks but overall I really like it. It puts significatly more power to the ground than the Kubota HST I used to rent. Many of the problems I have seen on this and other forums seem to be attributable to inept dealer service departments. ALL modern vehicles, including tractors, have an onboard computer. This is nothing new. Another issue with these units is education, I read a post complaining about the RPM dropping instead of increasing when pressing the pedal. The CVT is different, the first thing I tell new users is: this is the motion pedal, not the gas. An HST is faster if you use the loader a lot, but for around the ranch the CVT is great. If I can get traction I can pull a 6-7" white fir right out of the ground with relative ease with only 45 HP.

The machine is well designed and has a few nice features. For example, the cab is slightly pressurized and filtered to keep out dust.

I see you are in Omak. I spoke to the NH dealer in Moses lake, he claims to sell a lot of the CVT machines. I would go see him. PM me if you want, I am in North Idaho.