new holland quit

/ new holland quit #1  

r porter

Silver Member
Tractor
workmaster 45
workmaster 45 quit.

i changed the fuel filter. it would run 2 seconds and quit -no sputtering-just quit like i turned off the key. finally it ran long enough to get to the barn. next day it ran for a minute then quit.

i drained all the fuel and put new fuel in. checked and drained the sediment bowl. bled the air bleeder line on top of the fuel pump. still run 2 seconds and quit. i have about an inch high squirt of fuel out of the bleeder on top of the fuel pump. also the bleeder on top of the filter has fuel out of it.

when it runs fuel comes out of the lines at the injectors but by just starter cranking i can not get fuel out of the line at the injectors.

most times when it runs i have just bled the bleeder on top of the pump. this one has me thinking about an air trouble.

i ran a wire up the bleeder return hose on the filter but can not tell how far i am getting. [ at least 18 inches.] injecting some air on the bleeder hose does not seem to go any where. it may be blocked[ there is a reference to this in the book] but it started and ran for 10 minutes after checking this hose.

i wonder if the two bleeder hoses are connected and plugged at the top, but if they go into the tank how can they get plugged.

it just dont act like the pump but what else could it be? is there a shot off solenoid on the pump that can get hot and cut off fuel?

/ new holland quit #2  
I agree that it sounds as if fuel return line or fitting is plugged.

/ new holland quit
i blew air back through the lines into the tank, so they are clear. fuel was leaking out or the line at the injector farthest from the pump so that is clear, too.

this morning it ran for a minute. seems like a heat thing now. yesterday afternoon it would not fire.

/ new holland quit
tonight it quit and i had no power going to the fuel shut off solenoid. i ran a hot wire off the battery to the solenoid and drove it to the barn. when powered up you can clearly hear the solenoid operate and if it does not operate there is no fuel.

it appears i am getting close to the trouble. does anyone know if it is ok to run it with the hot wire? how about pulling power off another wire?

/ new holland quit #5  
Sounds like a fuse, fuseable link, or a safety switch issue.

/ new holland quit
i think it was a relay that powers the solenoid. i switched 2 relays and it is running.

/ new holland quit
the schematics in the book show an 'operator safety module' and a ' hazard-turn module' but no fuel solenoid module.

where was the fuel solenoid module located?

/ new holland quit #9  
Mine was located on the engine side of the firewall. Basically open the hood, and straight back to the firewall. It's like a computer card with painted on metal connectors that slides into a slot. The card holder is bolted on with 2 bolts to the firewall. In my case, one of the bolts wasn't bottoming out correctly on the fixed nut (basically it needed to be re-tapped). I'm sure the extra vibration led to the early failure.

Mines a WM 55, btw.

If this doesn't help, repost here, and I'll try to get a photo of it.

/ new holland quit
under the hood bolted to the firewall i have a flasher module and an alarm beeper. the beeper is on the clutch side.

the flasher module is on the brake side -no others visible. under the dash [behind the tach] is the relays [ ice cube size] and another relay or module that is about the size of a zippo.

i put in new relays and it is running. but i am unsure if i have the problem fixed.

this wm 45 is four years old. i would have guessed it the same as a 55.