New Holland T4???

/ New Holland T4??? #1  

PROFarms

Silver Member
Tractor
International 444, Yanmar YM169d, Cub Cadet
Hi guys.

Now that we're at the end of another haying season, I'm thinking of buying another tractor as i just can't keep up only running one machine. Also now I'm starting to do some small scale contracting for some older local farmers who are struggling to do it themselves.

Anyway I'm starting to look at New Holland, having been in a friends, and i really liked them. Looking at any one of the T4 series or possibly a Boomer 3050. Whatever i end up with I'm definitely going to be getting a loader with it.

Most of what it will be used for is mowing and small square baling (could be another investment in an inline square baler). Also would be doing a lot of loader work around the place. Likely to be put on a muck spreader as well.

Your thoughts on any of this is much appreciated, let me know any personal experience with any of these machines.

Also would be interested to know of any other makes/models that may be suitable - had considered a kubota but no dealers very nearby. Closest dealers are Deutz, New Holland, John Deere, Kioti, Massey Ferguson. These are within 40 miles of home, kubota is about 65-70ish miles away, so considerably further!

Cheers

/ New Holland T4??? #2  
Hello PROFarms, What tractor are you running for hay making,the inter 444? If so is the 2nd tractor going to be above the inter' in power?
There are 2 main things to be concerned with. GEARBOX and HYDRAULIC Output. In your main work range you want to leave the gear stick alone and use powershift or hydro' within the main gear range. example jd6920 (5 sp main gearbox) you can sit in "C" range and use the quad shift (1-4) on bale pickup and stack(big bales), BUT on the jd6420 quad box you have a 6 sp main gearbox and are constantly changing between "C and D" range. Back to back you quickly find how much more tiring the gearshifts are. You need 2 right hands.
Hydraulic pump output MATTERS. When doing loader work a sluggish loader rapidly ruins your day. I had a tractor just like that and I did not like it.It was a base spec unit replacing a broken down contractor's tractor.
Secondary concerns are:How long is your most fuel intensive day? 14 hrs on a 12 hr fuel tank is frustrating.
Do you need to work 2 rear hydraulic outlets at once?(output volume sufficient) Also are ergonomics for the controls comfortable? On the T series nos1 &2 levers are ok but 3 & especially 4 are just a bit to far back.
Often over looked,how high is the top of the wind screen relative to your eye line, it matters a lot on loader work. ie stacking/ unstacking. (T series cab for me is to low, I hit my head on roof on bumps)
Where does the wiper wipe? eg JD hang the wiper from the roof and miss the wind screen right where I look. (I add an extra long wiper to fix this.) MF mount their wiper on the bottom of the wind screen and eliminate the unwiped screen where you look problem.
Loader: fast response. 3rd service? ease of hitch /unhitch on uneven ground? lift height?
What is the smallest gate you need to get through?
Are cab pillars in the way with any impliment you plan on using? eg on the MF 54xx 56xx series the back window is not full width so with a twin rotor rake certain lines of sight are obstructed, the JD has a full width back window, and better lines of sight on a twin rotor rake.
In my opinion it is the ergonomics that make or break a tractor these days. Make sure the controls all fall to hand and are easy to use ESPESIALLY if you are swopping tractors. EG on MF dyna 4 gearbox tractor the forward / reverse lever also works the power shift. The catch is when you change direction you change the shift patern. foward: tap up to go higher gear and tap down to go down gears,BUT in reverse to go up gears you tap DOWN and to go to lower gears you tap UP. Good theory but bad practice. Fluency in english as a first language, especially when you are tired.
Seat : get air ride, don't bother with steel spring seat. Don't forget to silicon (NOT penetrating oil as it draws dust)the seat slides and joints each year or the squeaks will drive you nuts. Seats do a surprising amount of work.
Where are your thermos , lunch and tools going to go?
Who is best to deal with? Who goes the extra mile? Very important with hay down and rain threatening.
Good luck and crunch the numbers carefully.

/ New Holland T4???
Hello PROFarms, What tractor are you running for hay making,the inter 444? If so is the 2nd tractor going to be above the inter' in power? There are 2 main things to be concerned with. GEARBOX and HYDRAULIC Output. In your main work range you want to leave the gear stick alone and use powershift or hydro' within the main gear range. example jd6920 (5 sp main gearbox) you can sit in "C" range and use the quad shift (1-4) on bale pickup and stack(big bales), BUT on the jd6420 quad box you have a 6 sp main gearbox and are constantly changing between "C and D" range. Back to back you quickly find how much more tiring the gearshifts are. You need 2 right hands. Hydraulic pump output MATTERS. When doing loader work a sluggish loader rapidly ruins your day. I had a tractor just like that and I did not like it.It was a base spec unit replacing a broken down contractor's tractor. Secondary concerns are:How long is your most fuel intensive day? 14 hrs on a 12 hr fuel tank is frustrating. Do you need to work 2 rear hydraulic outlets at once?(output volume sufficient) Also are ergonomics for the controls comfortable? On the T series nos1 &2 levers are ok but 3 & especially 4 are just a bit to far back. Often over looked,how high is the top of the wind screen relative to your eye line, it matters a lot on loader work. ie stacking/ unstacking. (T series cab for me is to low, I hit my head on roof on bumps) Where does the wiper wipe? eg JD hang the wiper from the roof and miss the wind screen right where I look. (I add an extra long wiper to fix this.) MF mount their wiper on the bottom of the wind screen and eliminate the unwiped screen where you look problem. Loader: fast response. 3rd service? ease of hitch /unhitch on uneven ground? lift height? What is the smallest gate you need to get through? Are cab pillars in the way with any impliment you plan on using? eg on the MF 54xx 56xx series the back window is not full width so with a twin rotor rake certain lines of sight are obstructed, the JD has a full width back window, and better lines of sight on a twin rotor rake. In my opinion it is the ergonomics that make or break a tractor these days. Make sure the controls all fall to hand and are easy to use ESPESIALLY if you are swopping tractors. EG on MF dyna 4 gearbox tractor the forward / reverse lever also works the power shift. The catch is when you change direction you change the shift patern. foward: tap up to go higher gear and tap down to go down gears,BUT in reverse to go up gears you tap DOWN and to go to lower gears you tap UP. Good theory but bad practice. Fluency in english as a first language, especially when you are tired. Seat : get air ride, don't bother with steel spring seat. Don't forget to silicon (NOT penetrating oil as it draws dust)the seat slides and joints each year or the squeaks will drive you nuts. Seats do a surprising amount of work. Where are your thermos , lunch and tools going to go? Who is best to deal with? Who goes the extra mile? Very important with hay down and rain threatening. Good luck and crunch the numbers carefully.
Yes. Inter 444 is what I'm running at the moment. Looking probably to get something in the region of 60-80hp.
Looking at the gear shifting to be honest, anything is going to be better than what I've got at the moment! Have looked at maybe a getting either a used John Deere 5420 or similar, but also looked at the new 5m/r series.
From what I can see from testing a few I can see what you mean about the ergonomics, and when I was on a 5m I think it was, I thought they weren't all that great.
Spoke to my new holland dealer this morning and they're willing to give me 2 T4 models to demo for a week each. Hoping maybe JD might do the same If I drop the hint!! The new holland guy said it is an option on the t4 to have a can loader package here in the UK where they replace the front of te roof with glass - might be worth looking into!
Thanks for all your help, will all be taken into account!

/ New Holland T4??? #4  
Re glass roof ,watch the head room. I can't recall which brand, but on one with the roof glass for loader work also had a sliding panel to block out the sun. It was extra low with a hard edge around it. Made for a sore head when you hit it. Some have a blind to keep the sun out. It's the little things that catch you out.
Loader: electric/electronic controls are best. If you get cable inspect BOTH ends of each cable carefully especially the end eye/swivel, (another place to get silicon happy). Also cable is just heavier to operate.
Some JD's come with factory loader controls even if they are not fitted with a loader. This gives more right leg room compared to an after market version, important if you swivel the seat to the right when mowing.
I have tried a 5xxxM for size. The cab was short on head room. Hose the wind screen and turn on the wiper and you will see what I mean about the unwiped wind screen where tall people look. I found the controls were laid out well though.