New Holland TC 30 stalling

/ New Holland TC 30 stalling
I have a repair manual for the tractor. One of the things is says is it could be is a problem with the governor. Hope not....

Could the fuel shut off solenoid be intermittently closing then opening again, but otherwise work?

I took the solenoid off and tested it. When power was applied the rod retracted as it is supposed to. I tried running the tractor but it stopped again. Bled the lines and it started again, ran fine for a bit, and started running unevenly again. I don't see any fuel leaking anywhere. If bleeding the lines fixes the problem temporarily, seems as though it must be related to air getting into the system somewhere.

/ New Holland TC 30 stalling #14  
U can find a leaking line by pressurizing the fuel tank w/ compressed air.. NOT MUCH or you'll blow something..
Maybe set your compressor to 4psi.. Some people have very good luck covering the lines & connections w/ BABY POWDER..
The leak will show clearly in the powder..
Good luck

OK, thanks. I will give the baby powder a try.

Yesterday, I drove the tractor from the barn down a dirt road about 100 yards and it stalled. I got it going and put it back in the barn. Tried again later because I needed to move something with it, and it stalled at exactly the same place. Then I used it to move some manure. I made two trips, and both times, as soon as I started to dump the bucket, at the exact same place, it stalled. Could be just coincidence but seemed sort of unusual.

I may have found the problem, or at least a problem. There is a solenoid or switch that prevents the tractor from starting unless it is in neutral. The wire on the switch, that goes into differential housing, was hanging by a thread, and then fell off. So the tractor won't start at this point. I tried to take the switch out, and a torpedo looking piece came out of the differential housing and hydraulic oil was pouring out, so I reinstalled it without the torpedo piece temporarily. Is it possible that the frayed wire on that switch could have been causing the tractor to stall at times?

Edit: It may be the PTO safety switch, not the neutral safety switch.

Edit: I bypassed the switch and got the tractor started again, but it is still doing the same thing with the stalling. Have not done the baby powder test to see if there is a leak. I guess that is next. Worried it might be something more serious.

Last edited:
I figured out why the tractor kept stalling. The previous owner had bypassed the seat safety switch. The connections on the bypass wiring had loosed to where sometimes it was not making contact. I tightened the connections, and no more stalling. It wasn't fuel related after all.

/ New Holland TC 30 stalling #18  
cedar21 you are a lifesaver. I've been nagged by this forever. I was the one that bypassed the switch. My problem was the round wheel that the seat rides on has a flat spot. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.