New Holland TC35S Steering Issues

/ New Holland TC35S Steering Issues #1  

webrep11

Tractor
New Holland TC35S
Hello, I have an issue that just happened suddenly while using my tractor. I went to turn my steering wheel and it will just turn freely when turning to the left. If I turn to the right it will barely turn to the right.

Previous to this starting I had a leak near the reservoir and I could see some fluid accumulation but not a leak per say. I would fill it as it got low and complained by being stiff to turn and groaned.

I know it is full of fluid but not sure where to start. I have the repair manual for a TC35 or TC 35D I am using as a reference.

/ New Holland TC35S Steering Issues #2  
I don't know anything on the TC35s but I did have the same problem on a Case backhoe. It turned out to be the seal on the top of the steering valve (the entire system is hydraulic) so it couldn't build any pressure when you turned the steering wheel. Might be something to check, depending on what type of steering system your machine has.

/ New Holland TC35S Steering Issues #3  
Welcome to TBN. Does the steering work with the engine off? You can try to turn the wheel and see what happens. It may be too difficult to turn though.

I assume you might have a loader. If so, lift the front axle off the ground, shut the engine off and then try turning the steering lock to lock. If it steers, then the steering motor is okay and probably the steering cylinders.

If the prior tests pass, then you most likely have a problem with your pump.

/ New Holland TC35S Steering Issues
Welcome to TBN. Does the steering work with the engine off? You can try to turn the wheel and see what happens. It may be too difficult to turn though.

I assume you might have a loader. If so, lift the front axle off the ground, shut the engine off and then try turning the steering lock to lock. If it steers, then the steering motor is okay and probably the steering cylinders.

If the prior tests pass, then you most likely have a problem with your pump.
Tests:
1. The steering wheel just spins with tractor off and wheels on the ground.
2. Turned on tractor and lifted front tires off the ground and turned wheel. wheels only turn to the right.
3. Turned off tractor with wheels lifted off the ground and they will only turn right. Then manually pushed wheel to the left by pushing on tire and it turns partially with resistance and makes a sucking sound.

btw forgot to mention the tractor is 4x4. Its been storming here so have not been able to get under it completely but hope to tomorrow. Thoughts?

Last edited:
   / New Holland TC35S Steering Issues #5  
Just to make sure, it is just a TC35, not a TC35D or DA? It does not have Supersteer, just a regular front drive axle? Reason I ask, the Supersteer is a much harder axle to steer and has two cylinders, the regular 4WD axle has only one.

TC
Just to make sure, it is just a TC35, not a TC35D or DA? It does not have Supersteer, just a regular front drive axle? Reason I ask, the Supersteer is a much harder axle to steer and has two cylinders, the regular 4WD axle has only one.
TC35S see the attached plate - the oil on pump is what is leaking from power steering, which im trying to find first between thunderstorms. I did not see a cylinder on the drivers side when lifting the tires.

Attachments

• IMG_2641.jpg
    IMG_2641.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2642.jpg
    IMG_2642.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4258.jpg
    IMG_4258.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 52
   / New Holland TC35S Steering Issues #7  
Okay, you have a TC35. The plaque pictured is not the model plaque. That is located under the LH step, but no difference.

The cylinder piston seal may have blown out, but that is rare. It is the easiest, cheapest to fix though. That also would explain why it turns right, but not left as the cylinder has more surface area to push against to make a right turn.
The sucking sound you hear is coming from the cylinder, pump or steering column?
There are a couple of different kits to repair the cylinder as listed from the parts book from Messicks - New Holland TC35D - 3 CYL COMPACT TRACTOR - NORTH AMERICA(01/00 - 12/04) Parts Diagrams

As far as the leak goes, I can't tell from the pictures, but is it leaking a lot when it is running?

Okay, you have a TC35. The plaque pictured is not the model plaque. That is located under the LH step, but no difference.

The cylinder piston seal may have blown out, but that is rare. It is the easiest, cheapest to fix though. That also would explain why it turns right, but not left as the cylinder has more surface area to push against to make a right turn.
The sucking sound you hear is coming from the cylinder, pump or steering column?
There are a couple of different kits to repair the cylinder as listed from the parts book from Messicks - New Holland TC35D - 3 CYL COMPACT TRACTOR - NORTH AMERICA(01/00 - 12/04) Parts Diagrams

As far as the leak goes, I can't tell from the pictures, but is it leaking a lot when it is running?
Thanks for all the help, between thunderstorms yesterday I had a buddy out who helped me trace for a leak and found a big one. It was hidden in loop on top of the front axle, impossible to see but once we saw where it was running out, I felt around till I found the hole. $70 later everything works perfectly.

Attachments

• IMG_4274.jpg
    IMG_4274.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4275.jpg
    IMG_4275.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
   / New Holland TC35S Steering Issues #9  
Okay, that would do it. Glad you are back in business.