New Holland Tc40S4 acts like dead battery, not starting

/ New Holland Tc40S4 acts like dead battery, not starting #1  

MVTractor

Tractor
2005 New Holland TC45A boomer
Been here before with the same problem, as have many more on this site, pulled wired connections I could get apart used dielectric grease then switched the battery with a known good one, took old tractor battery put in truck and its been fine ever since and the tractor started with the truck battery and has been used several times since. As this appears to be a common problem with this tractor one member suggested replacing the battery cables as they may be in the process of corroding inside and that I might have been able to secure a connection when I was moving the cables around the first time, made good sense to me. it always acts like a weak battery, dim or no lights, starter clicking or nothing, period. This time when I had the issue replaced the neg cable and went through the other connections as before with no change. Thinking I should get the pos cable, as was suggested, but I can't seem to find a replacement for it. I live in a area that makes travel difficult and not having much luck on the net so need some info on part# and best places to order this cable

/ New Holland Tc40S4 acts like dead battery, not starting #2  
Been here before with the same problem, as have many more on this site, pulled wired connections I could get apart used dielectric grease then switched the battery with a known good one, took old tractor battery put in truck and its been fine ever since and the tractor started with the truck battery and has been used several times since. As this appears to be a common problem with this tractor one member suggested replacing the battery cables as they may be in the process of corroding inside and that I might have been able to secure a connection when I was moving the cables around the first time, made good sense to me. it always acts like a weak battery, dim or no lights, starter clicking or nothing, period. This time when I had the issue replaced the neg cable and went through the other connections as before with no change. Thinking I should get the pos cable, as was suggested, but I can't seem to find a replacement for it. I live in a area that makes travel difficult and not having much luck on the net so need some info on part# and best places to order this cable

Is you charging system up to snuff? If your tractor battery is not being recharged that could be the problem. Make sure the battery negative chasis ground is a good one. No corrosion or paint. Make sure the battery terminals are clean, bright and tight.

/ New Holland Tc40S4 acts like dead battery, not starting #3  
I had a problem very similar to yours and did many of same things as you. Went on for very long time before I found a bad ground between the frame of the tractor and the motor. Motor is mounted in rubber and never could convince myself that it couldn't get a ground through there somehow. Found it by doing an amp draw on the cables. Cleaned the area where cable attaches and added a new larger cable. Starts like new.

/ New Holland Tc40S4 acts like dead battery, not starting
Is you charging system up to snuff? If your tractor battery is not being recharged that could be the problem. Make sure the battery negative chasis ground is a good one. No corrosion or paint. Make sure the battery terminals are clean, bright and tight.

Always used a fully charged battery cleaned the frame ground and replaced the ground cable, as well extra care on the terminal ends, didn't fix.

Have cleaned the frame ground to battery but not aware of the motor to frame ground. Will see if I can find it. Thanks

/ New Holland Tc40S4 acts like dead battery, not starting #6  
Have cleaned the frame ground to battery but not aware of the motor to frame ground. Will see if I can find it. Thanks

A quick check would be clamp one end of a jumper cable to the frame and the other end to the housing of the starter.

OK been through all the fixes but remembered one that sounded like it could work. Removed the pos battery clamp opened it up and drilled a 1/8" hole through the lead housing right into the harness, then took a 2.5" screw and screwed it all the way into the harness through the lead clamp, replaced cable back on battery , hopped in and it started like a trooper. May only be a temp fix but at least the problem is solved and I can make a permanent fix later.

/ New Holland Tc40S4 acts like dead battery, not starting #8  
Call the parts department at Messick's, they can help you with the part number and ship you the part. You can also remove the battery lead and take it to your local parts house. They probably have a universal battery cable that will work.

Will keep Messicks in mind. searching the net it didn't look like they would have the needed part. Those of us living on a island don't have easy access to parts houses or anything else for that matter. Thank the stars the net is available.