new holland tractor

/ new holland tractor #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I was at the local new holland dealer this weekend, looking at some tractors a little bigger than my 1920. As I was walking across the lot, I saw a large new 2wd unit.. looked ok.. was a 3xxx series.. my bad memory is preventing me from remembering the number... 38??

Anyway, had the look of the older line like my 1920.. not like the boomers with the slant hood.

The salesman immediatly steered me away from that saying' You don't want that.. it won't last very long.. it is just thrown together and priced to compete with the massey fergusion 270, etc, etc. I looked at the dash, and it was a little stripped... just a throttle handle, and multigauge tach with idiot lights... nothing near the setup on my 1920. I was going to look further at it, but the salesman was insistant that it was 'trash'.

He steered me over to something in the 58XX series I think.. looked very similar.. but a bit bigger. probably alot more $$.

Now I am beginning to wonder about that 3xxx model. I don't farm full time, so I'm not as concerned with a unit that may not hold up for a full time farmer.... it may be fine for a hobby farmer who needs a low usage slightly larger tractor.. but with a smaller price tag.

Anyone have any idea what this unit might have been, and its stats?

The dealer is about an hours drive away. If I can get up there again, i will try to go look at it without the salesman dragging me away from it.
Any help is appreciated.

thanks,

Soundguy

/ new holland tractor #2  
I went back into the archives and spent several hours reading old posts until I had a mental map of the model #s and eliminated quite a few that would not serve my needs.
Once I had a better idea what models were in the range I was wanting, I went back and re-read the posts relating to them.
Then I went back to the dealerships in some ratty clothes (not a difficult feat for me) and looked at the machines a little closer, trying to avoid contact with sales people. Then I went home and worked on the net some more and eliminated a couple more models.
Then back to the dealerships. This process went on for more than a month.
After 13 years with an inadequate tractor, purchased in ignorance (no internet for me in 88) I was determined to buy the best I could afford. I ended up buying a Kubota L4610HST. Not to recommend that particular model as it was a personal choice, but I DO recommend the search methods.
Spend a couple of weeks doing your home work and spend the next 10 to 20 years smiling....OR... be impulsive and spend alot of time in regret.

/ new holland tractor #3  
Here is a lead on NH 3010 stuff. Definately an "economy" tractor part of the 10S Economy Series

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.newholland.com/na/Products/3010S.html>NH 3010S</A>

Somewhere I have a brochore on them, the website is pretty slim. I think it is also listed in deere's configurator.

My dealer skipped around that as well, while they'd talk about the TC30, it was TN65 all the way...

/ new holland tractor
I agree completely.. I made the same mistake you did... I went out and bought a tractor that was not suited to my needs ( a yanmar 1700 ).. and then had to go and get another tractor that would do the larger jobs.

Don't get me wrong.. i love the yanmar to death... great little machine.. just not heavy or strong enough to work my hobby farm. The 1920 is great and does what I need. But me and the wife are getting more animals and more land, and we need to get a tractor for 'her' to help with. Obviously, we can't go smaller so we would need the same size as the 1920 or better.. that was why i was looking at that 38xx. My wife isn't comfterable with a big tractor.. but doesn't like the yanmar at all.. for one, she is 6' and the yanmar was designed for little asian farmers.. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.. and it is a 1979 model, and she doesn't understand the finer points of babying a old diesel.. plus it has only a hand throttle, and she hasn't mastered it yet either.... but she is ok on the 1920... so it may become 'hers' whilst I need another tractor...

Soundguy

<font color=blue>"Spend a couple of weeks doing your home work and spend the next 10 to 20 years smiling....OR... be impulsive and spend alot of time in regret. "

/ new holland tractor
Thanks for the reply.. perhaps it was the 3010.. he did say it was a 'low end' model..

But I'm not scared of an 'economy' model if i know what I'm buying, and why I'm buying it.. not expecting a heavy duty plow the north 200 all day tractor...

Soundguy

/ new holland tractor #6  
My dealer told me the same things about the 10S series. They are made in Mexico as cheaply as possible and are not very reliable. They won't even put one on their lot. The one they originally sold has been in the shop a lot. I was originally looking at the 3930 but they were being discontinued at the time so I bought a TN 65 for the same money and am happy I did. The TN is extremly easy to use and quite strong for what NH list the HP at. MF does have nice economy tractors if you are going to just play around but they are basicly the same tractors from the 60's and 70's with out too many upgrades and don't even think of MFWA as I think it is only available on the 80+hp economy tractor from MF. I know the 231s is a nice machine as my friend bought one and it is reliable but there are no options and it is basicly the same as our MF 135 from way back.

/ new holland tractor #7  
We have sold a dozen of these over the years since they where introduced. We have only had one in the shop and that was for a clutch. The tractor is used heavily as a loader tractor and had over 3000 hours all ready with no other problems. Do not be afraid of this tractor it is very inexpensive and a lot of tractor for the money.

/ new holland tractor #8  
Spencer, why is it then that some other dealers don't want to sell these units. My dealer came out and told me point blank they were junk and he would not sell me one. I do know NH has had quality control problems with some of their machines as far as not tightening things properly or minor design flaws but to have two dealers speak the same way about one tractor doesn't make sense.

/ new holland tractor #9  
<font color=blue>Spencer, why is it then that some other dealers don't want to sell these units.</font color=blue>

Is there a thinner margin on these? Or are the dealers a little "gun shy" because of some previous low-price units?

/ new holland tractor #10  
Soundguy,

One of my first jobs back in the dark ages was selling appliances. The place I worked for sold Hotpoint, Westinghouse and Frigidaire. One of the companies was always giving some kind of incentives (to the salespeople) for selling their brand. Guess which one we recommended? The others were just junk.

I remember Westinghouse was giving a Hawaiian vacation to the top 10 sales people in the southern region. Boy did the Frigidaires and Hotpoints have a bad reputation all of a sudden!/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

My point is: Never trust a salesman./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Do the research yourself and check with others who have experienced the products firsthand.

These may be "economy models" but they ain't bare bones. 2wd/4wd, independent pto, 9.0 gpm hydraulics w/3847 lbs. of lift, wet brakes, position/draft control - a lot of nice features. And they are pretty too./w3tcompact/icons/love.gif/w3tcompact/icons/love.gif

TBone