Price Check New Holland vs. TYM

/ New Holland vs. TYM #1  

jonlorusso

Hi,

I've got two quotes I need help comparing:

(new) New Holland T1030 26HP w/ belly mower and front loader - $16,500

vs.

(new) TYM T233 23HP also w/ belly mower and loader - $14,100

additionally, they are both offering 72 month 0% financing.

This would be my first tractor.

The New Holland dealer told me to stay away from anything that's not New Holland (of course!) Kubota or John Deere, but $2400 is a lot of money.

I have 14 acres (most of it is wooded), perhaps 2-3 of that would need mowing, with an additional 2 acre pasture that I'd eventually like to till. All of it is hilly (sloping down away from the house).

Eventually, I would like to attach a backhoe or a trencher one day and put in a waterline to the barn (200' ft away, 4 ft frostline here in NJ).

Any thoughts?

thanks,
--jon

/ New Holland vs. TYM #2  
If something happened to you and things had to be liquidated, which tractor outfit would sell closer to its purchase price? When you get away from mainline tractors, I like to see $4000+ difference in pricing. Ken Sweet

/ New Holland vs. TYM #3  
Think Ken is giving good advice. Just traded in a tractor with less than 100 hours and took about a 40% hit on it. Good tractor, in perfect condition, but with lesser known name. Personally I would rent a trencher for the weekend and wear out someone else equipment. You do not mention what your plans are for the Front end loader. I bought a BX 2660 this summer for mowing. Is ready for FEL to be attached but I passed on that as I have other larger tractor for those task. What are your thoughts about each dealer. That is who is going to take care of you and the tractor after the sale. Very important in my view. Good luck.

/ New Holland vs. TYM #4  
I have a T1030 on about 7 acres with a fel,Wood's bh, 48"brush cutter and mmm ( that I've never used ). It works but I must mention I often wish I'd gotten a bigger machine like the Massey 1500 or 1600 series.

/ New Holland vs. TYM #5  
Has anyone had recent experience of trading in a relatively new "top name" tractor without a significant loss. Usually if you are trading for a considerably more expensive tractor, the trade in value is somewhat inflated. Also has anyone sold a relatively new tractor outright and not lost a good bit of money. A 40% loss on $10000 is the same as a 20% loss on $20000.

tcmango - I'd be interested in the actual dollar values of your example for future reference.

Thanks,
Loren

/ New Holland vs. TYM #6  
Has anyone had recent experience of trading in a relatively new "top name" tractor without a significant loss. Usually if you are trading for a considerably more expensive tractor, the trade in value is somewhat inflated. Also has anyone sold a relatively new tractor outright and not lost a good bit of money. A 40% loss on $10000 is the same as a 20% loss on $20000.

tcmango - I'd be interested in the actual dollar values of your example for future reference.

Thanks,
Loren

There is some wisdom is what you say. Keep a tractor, any color, for a year and the "hit" is pretty stiff. One reason, among many, is the 0% deals. No one is going to buy your used machine without saving a ton of cash.

The percentage of "hit" might be tolerable in buying a "lower bracket" name tractor, but I honestly believe the sheer number of responses one would get from a Craigslist ad would be greatly different. The top 3 or 4 OEMs have name recognition and a large fan base established. Too many potential shoppers simply wouldn't recognize the name of some of the newer brand offerings. Just saying, right or wrong, I'm pretty sure it is a perception reality.

/ New Holland vs. TYM #7  
I'm not disagreeing with your perception but it is not a black or white issue.

Another example is that when $5000 more is spent on the "top name" machine and you keep it for 12 years that money at 6% interest would be become a $10,000 difference (rule of 72). (6% is not realistic recently but may be reasonable for long the term) Obviously if the less expensive tractor does not hold up as well then the savings disappears.

Loren

/ New Holland vs. TYM #8  
bp is giving pretty good advice. On the used market I wouldn't consider an off brand tractor unless it was a LOT cheaper than one from the big three, and by a lot I'm talking 50%.

Jon, are you comparing similar models for the price? Is the 1030 really the same tractor as the 233. All manufacturers play games with the ratings, but if pto hp is really 23 and 26 between the two....that could certainly be a big factor in the cost difference!

/ New Holland vs. TYM #9  
My example of a trade was the following:
Branson 3510i with FEL bought for $16,500 2007 with 0%
traded for $10,000 August 2010.

BP and others have the trade scenario pegged. Dealer must have margin and low enough price structure to sell used against new with 0%. Manufacturers lending is also looser on credit standards than local banks here.

Hope this fills in some gaps.

/ New Holland vs. TYM #10  
I love my NH but have no experience with the other. but I have seen some mahindra's and such that amaze me.