New Home and ~70 Acres of Unknown Project

/ New Home and ~70 Acres of Unknown Project #1  

TigerFanatic1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M9540
A few years ago I purchased 40 acres of mostly wooded family property, with the intentions of building in the future. The land remained mostly untouched, with the exception of a deer stand and food plots, until Mrs. TigerFanatic1 decided 2023 was the future. We were able to clean up about 8 acres of the less dense area for our homesite by hiring someone to mulch (I wasn't happy with) and using a rented 12K excavator and skid steer with brush cutter. I used the excavator where the main yard would be since I wanted to get the stumps and roots out and swapped to the brush cutter for utility line right of way and property edge. Most of the excess material was placed in a burn pit and piled up, depending on when it was cleared.
After Mulching.jpg
Downed Trees.jpg
Burn Pile.jpg

Attachments

• Start.jpeg
    Start.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
  • Start.jpeg
    Start.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 73
   / New Home and ~70 Acres of Unknown Project
Fast forward a few months and we have a house pad, which I did not do myself.. Notice the box stand that got relocated. Little does Mrs. TigerFanatic1 know, I will be feeding heavily in the back yard and master plan is to hunt from back porch.
House Pad 1.jpeg

Attachments

• House Pad 3.jpeg
    House Pad 3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 79
  • House Pad 2.jpeg
    House Pad 2.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Last week my aunt decided to sell the pasture that I've been trying to purchase for a few years. So, we are in the process of purchasing another ~29 acres. I am not certain what to do with the land, but wanted it since my house will be on a gravel road and this will allow me to run a driveway from the highway. At first, I planned to clear the underbrush from the remaining ~32 acres of woods and cut hay on the ~29 acres which is about 25 acres cleared with the remaining woods and a 3/4-1 acre pond. However, I don't think I can even break even on the hay, so open for suggestions. I may buy a skidsteer and mulcher for the wooded area, but would need to start doing some work on the side to offset the machine and fuel costs. Also, have to decided on whether I want to go with a smaller machine and disc mulcher since I don't have an issue with letting the unprocessed material rot in the woods and grapple the edges or go with a 100 HP machine and drum since that's what I think would attract some clients to assist with offsetting.
Woods 1.jpeg

Attachments

• Woods 2.jpeg
    Woods 2.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 71
  • Pasture.jpeg
    Pasture.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
  • Pasture 2.jpeg
    Pasture 2.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 69
   / New Home and ~70 Acres of Unknown Project #4  
Can't answer your questions now, but want to follow along. Good luck with your endeavors. Jon

/ New Home and ~70 Acres of Unknown Project #5  
Out of curiosity, why do you want to clear such a big 8 acre space to build your new house ? That is a big plot of land, and a big expense that could be put towards the house cost.

/ New Home and ~70 Acres of Unknown Project #6  
I cleared just enough to build my house in the middle of the woods. I'm sure happy I did. I don't cut a tree I don't have to, except for sweet gums. I hate a sweet gum tree.

/ New Home and ~70 Acres of Unknown Project #7  
At first, I planned to clear the underbrush from the remaining ~32 acres of woods and cut hay on the ~29 acres which is about 25 acres cleared with the remaining woods and a 3/4-1 acre pond. However, I don't think I can even break even on the hay, so open for suggestions.
One consideration is the taxable value. As a working farm, here, the taxes are ~2/3 less for ag use. Hay is also a commodity that is becoming rare in my area. As the older guys retire, the land is being converted to houses, not kept as a farm. Of course, cattle and hay can make a decent combination. Direct to consumer beef sales (interwebz, roadside) is fairly profitable. However, shipping costs for processing at a USDA licensed facility can become problematic.
Cotton is making a comeback to the east and south of me, don’t know the economics of it though.

/ New Home and ~70 Acres of Unknown Project #9  
Out of curiosity, why do you want to clear such a big 8 acre space to build your new house ? That is a big plot of land, and a big expense that could be put towards the house cost.
Sounds like he wants a clear fire zone. This year from the back porch, next year from the front porch, five year plan - open bedroom window :ROFLMAO:

The land had an opening where we are building, which was shaped like a V and went the length of the property so we just started squaring it off for looks. Cost was pretty minimal since I did most of the work with rented equipment and chainsaw.

Last edited: