New Home Begins

/ New Home Begins #31  
I want to keep the frame if in good condition. I can make a bridge over the "stream" (more like a drainage swale) to get to the back of the property. It is usually dry but can get mushy in heavy rain and spring time.

Seems like it should work. You could always add some strength to it if need be, and the best part is you have a tractor to move it and turn it any which way needed to work on it.

/ New Home Begins #32  
Im surprised he didnt taser you for taking his picture. He doesnt look too happy.

Shotgun...

Called the locals to come take it. I am not afraid of it but certainly do not need one more thing to worry about.

/ New Home Begins
Today, we finished clearing out the trees that I can do myself before the excavator gets here in 2-3 weeks. We have taken down 24 trees so far. I cut, girlfriend moves the stacks of branches to the front and firewood to the back with the T293.

There are still 4 more that will come out by a pro as they are too big for me to do myself. $900 for 4 trees, chipping anything bigger than 3-4 inches and leave the rest. I will cut that up and keep for firewood.

Here is a before and after of the work so far.

2012-08-18 10.50.14.jpg P1010838.jpg

I estimate that we moved several tons of wood so far. Could not even imagine doing this without the T293. Best toy ... er ... machine that we have ever bought. That little Stihl MS210 has been put through it's paces and keeps going.

/ New Home Begins #34  
I bet you are the most popular person in the neighborhood for rehabilitating that property.

Where I lived until 2006, there was a funky house across the road. Also three sheds. A guy bought it and started cleaning up. As it turned out, all three of the sheds were packed full of garbage, the people who had lived there never took anything to the dump. I forget how many big roll-offs he filled with the garbage and the sheds themselves, it was 6 or 8 I think.

I used to clear the snow out of his driveway just as a way of saying thanks for the neighborhood improvement.

/ New Home Begins
We removed the back utility room from the house and most of the shed walls. The shed was hiding the tires I posted separately about. Filled a 20 yard dumpster over this weekend. Jumped in with the sledge to break them into smaller pieces to get maximum fill rate.

P1010849.jpgP1010853.jpgP1010858.jpgP1010859.jpg

Holly is so good around the tractor. She figures out were we are working and goes and sits or lays down away from potential harms way.
We love this dog.

P1010856.jpg

/ New Home Begins
Quick video of one of the last four trees. Tree guy found a huge wasp nest up inside a hollow just prior to taking it down. They appeared (shape/size) to be cicada killer wasps but I thought they only burrowed into the ground for nests. So, possibly some other kind. They were not aggressive and that is a good thing.

60' tree coming down

edit: Enough on site cleanup. Next posts will finally get to excavation and the house

/ New Home Begins #38  
I remember reading a thread when you were looking for a tractor. I lost track of it somewhere. Good luck and be safe on your new tractor and new venture. You will greatly appreciate it later.

/ New Home Begins
I remember reading a thread when you were looking for a tractor. I lost track of it somewhere. Good luck and be safe on your new tractor and new venture. You will greatly appreciate it later.

Thanks. I really appreciate it now. :thumbsup: We have moved about 5 tons of trash, 4 tons of stone/concrete/cinder block, at least 8 tons of firewood (yet to be split) and lots of moving of materials around.

If you see the floor plan, since it's a rancher, it has a large footprint. 47 square of shingles :eek:

/ New Home Begins #40  
Thanks for the pictures