New Home Begins

/ New Home Begins #71  
Eddie,

Thanks for the advice. My only angst is that the delays now put me square into Jersey winter which is very unpredictable. As much as we love snow, I am hoping for a warmer, snowless winter like last year to help keep things moving along.

I love seeing the progress with your projects and your parents home.
We had some delays which put us at building in the winter like you. And I had intended to NOT build during the winter but it still ended up that way. And we had a hard winter for this area with a lot of sub-freezing temps and snow. Everything worked out in the end though. I recommend that in your building contract, specify in detail what the contractor's responsibility will be if it snows on your sub-floors. Our framer told me during the bidding that he would shovel off any snow. Then when it snowed on a Saturday, the framer told me "I don't work weekends." I had to remove the snow myself - a couple of times.

Obed

/ New Home Begins
Woo Hoo! Finally things are moving along.

Final two permit things are complete. Found out late today that permits will be issued Thursday. Unfortunately, I had to move the basement wall date from 11/29 to 12/5 (the next available date) due to Thanksgiving and inspector extending his holidays. As a result, I did not feel comfortable getting the excavation, footing prep, inspection, pour, stone for basement all in before 11/29 when other's availability is questionable. This gives me a little more leeway.

Demo of the old one starts tomorrow, so new pictures to follow!!

/ New Home Begins #73  
Tom:

Good luck with your project, and you're a more ambitious man than me for tackling such a challenging property. In your middle to old age, you will really appreciate having a ranch house.

/ New Home Begins
Demolition did indeed begin today!

The good news: The wood/trash/ordinary materials/trash is almost gone. One more dumpster to go. The made great progress! By the weekend, it will only be a memory.

The bad news: Due to hurricane Sandy and all of the debris in NJ, the transfer stations are packed and the one that is local is not accepting any more tomorrow, Friday and Saturday in order to catch up. So, even though the house is down and the last dumpster will be ready, it will not be able to go until Monday.

In the meantime, the concrete/stone/cinder block will be removed and gone too but to a different place where it is recycled.

Here is a sampling of pictures:

P1010917.jpg P1010924.jpg P1010925.JPG P1010936.jpgP1010941.jpg

/ New Home Begins #75  
It has always amazed me how quick they can take down an old building. I am sure you are happy to start moving forward with your project. Rick

/ New Home Begins #77  
congrats on getting the project moving - we're building in the country on 3+ acres, but instead of clearing trees, i've planted a couple hundred! "move-in date" was Sept 1, we're actually praying that we can do it by Christmas. ND is in the middle of the state's biggest construction boom (oil industry and flood recovery) so subcontractors are all overbooked/pushing dates. My JD2305 will be used more for grading dirt/slope and blowing/moving snow. Hope you can keep progess moving ahead!

/ New Home Begins #78  
Aww, what a shame. That house was a real keeper, you shoulda fixed it up (KIDDING). Congrats, must be fun to watch.

/ New Home Begins #79  
Exciting!!!! Thanks for the pics and keep them coming.

Eddie

/ New Home Begins
More progress today.

The last of the big debris was removed today and most of the block and cement has been uprooted. We expect it to be hauled away tomorrow.

Permits were received today!!! Full speed ahead from now on.

Stump removal next week. They expect three dumpsters for that to a place that grinds them up. It's funny. In NJ, no open burning unless you have a permit from the state and that's only if you are truly agriculture and the permit only lasts 45 days. You can't dig a hole and bury them which is really ironic since they ... well ... started in the ground :confused2:

No inspections next week as the inspector is off with the Thanksgiving holiday and his part time schedule. Weather permitting, we can have excavation done after Thanksgiving and pour footings by the Wednesday after Thanksgiving. Superior walls are being craned in on 12/5.

P1010947.jpg P1010951.jpg P1010952.jpg P1010954.jpg
P1010955.jpg

Attachments

• P1010958.jpg
    P1010958.jpg
    573.4 KB · Views: 236