New Home - Recirculating Hot Water

/ New Home - Recirculating Hot Water
I am still doubtfull about any valve working as there is zero pressure differential or in other words nothing to make the valve open and close. Perhaps even without any swing valve the cooler water would settle in the return line and head back towards the water heater. Perhaps this does work but many times what people think does not meet scientific reality. I would like to know why this isn't common knowledge in the plumbing industry as you have an almost perpetual motion machine.

It's not a perpetual motion machine. You do need to put something into it to get something out.....and that something is hot water. Heat rises / cold drops....and when designed correctly....this is what makes this system work so well. It takes full advantage of physics to get the job done. The valve just prevents accidental back-flow....as I understand it. Seems to me like lotsa bang for the buck....therefore I got it planned into my construction.

I currently have a shower that takes 5 minutes to get hot water.....arrrrgh! THis loop set-up seems like the real deal to me. :)

/ New Home - Recirculating Hot Water #22  
Nice idea, the thermocycle!

My water heater is in the basement. I don't have 5 vertical feet for the cooling leg. Can I make this work with a coil of uninsulated line just above the water heater?

/ New Home - Recirculating Hot Water #23  
Nice idea, the thermocycle!
My water heater is in the basement. I don't have 5 vertical feet for the cooling leg. Can I make this work with a coil of uninsulated line just above the water heater?
How much space do you have? I would guess that it would work with less, but the furnace guy was insistent that it be vertical to build up "head" and open the check valve.

Aaron Z

/ New Home - Recirculating Hot Water #24  
Our old house had recirulating hot water on every faucet and shower. Very nice! When we moved, our new place didn't have this, and our master bedroom was the fartest faucets from the water heaters, while our other faucets were very close or directly above the water heaters. It didn't take us very long to call our plumber to have him add a return line for the master bedroom bathroom. It was well worth the money-my bride is happy, and given the price of water these days, it also saves every month on the water bill.

For new construction, I wouldn't expect it to add very much to the total plumbing bill. This should be routine for an experienced plumber. You will save money every month on the water bill, and if you ever sell the house, it may even give your home an edge on the market.

GGB

/ New Home - Recirculating Hot Water #25  
What you save in water you will more then pay in constantly heating your water lines because of the returm lines. Not saying it is a bad thing but is putting additional demands on the water heater. I pay a few dollars for every additional 1,000 gallons of water.

/ New Home - Recirculating Hot Water #26  
The savings or additional operational costs would depend on your use and schedule. When there is no use for extended periods then there would be wasted engery from the hot supply and return lines. When it gets used several time during the day then the wasted water and amount of cold water introduced to the heater (requiring it to be heated) each time would offset the standby losses. The better the insulation on the piping the less the standby loss. For the limited use periods it may be more cost effective to install the circulating pump on a timer. I have seen locations that typically only use the hot water in the morning and they have a switch to activate the circulation pump for a few minutes on an as needed basis.

/ New Home - Recirculating Hot Water
^More good information in the posts above. Definately going with the recirculating system and have a few more questions to ask of a plumber.....but it sounds like he is qualified to do the job right. Looking forward to a nifty set up. Thanks for all the input! It really helps make a sound decision.