New Horse Trailer

/ New Horse Trailer #1  

Diesel-ME

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TC55DA EHSS 4Wd
We picked up my wife's new horse trailer yesterday.

I am not as exciting about it as I would have been a new 7-ton deckover deal, but at least I have the gooseneck installed now. Plus the price of the future deckover will seem "cheap" to her after what she just shelled out for the horse trailer :)

Unfortunately, I decided to yank the TracRac (still shows in the photo). The rails of the TracRac took up valuable clearance given the height of the truck. I think I'll put in a headache rack to protect the cab. I have been very lucky over the years to NOT take out the back window heaving in firewood. Hopefully I can find an easily removeable ladder rack for the back - any recommendations?

I am a gooseneck noobie - but drove this rig 200 miles home yesterday - man WHAT a difference compared to bumper pulls!!! I am already a huge gooseneck fan. Gotta spend some time backing/manuevering..... I guess it is easier once you get the feel for it.

~paul

Attachments

• Trailer1.jpg
    Trailer1.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 1,849
  • Trailer2.jpg
    Trailer2.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 1,623
   / New Horse Trailer #2  
Kinda funny, if they want it (horse trailer) you get it. If you want it (deck over) it takes a lot of whinning. :D Congradulations you will never want to go back to bumper pull.

Bake

/ New Horse Trailer #3  
Yep.. wife wants horse trailer.. husband wants deck-over.. the two of you compromise and you get her a horse trailer.

Works the same way around my house.. :rolleyes: ;)

Soundguy

/ New Horse Trailer #4  
Nice setup but I kind of think you may want to raise that gooseneck an inch or so. I don't see much margine for error between the tailgate and the trailer.

/ New Horse Trailer #5  
QRTRHRS said:
Nice setup but I kind of think you may want to raise that gooseneck an inch or so. I don't see much margine for error between the tailgate and the trailer.

Totally agree, except I think more than an inch or so. It can be a struggle/compromise with a lifted (4x4) truck between the trailer being level and the trailer having enough clearance above the bed sides. You can jack the back of the truck up (from the center - diff or hitch) and see how much pitch you have before the trailer binds against your bed sides. See attached - not much of an angle...

Attachments

• Trailer.JPG
    Trailer.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 418
   / New Horse Trailer
Well after I took those photos I yanked the TracRac (for sale now) and gained a few inches of margin. I think we'll be OK at this point. But if I have time this weekend I'll find a road or driveway with a big hump to climb over and see if it will make it.

I'm not sure how much I'd want to load up the rear axle so hopefully the clearance w/o the trac will be OK.

~paul

PS - that's a stock F350 4x4 - with no extra lift. If I really had to I guess I could block up the trailer axles, but it should be OK now.

/ New Horse Trailer #7  
Looks nice. Is that a 2-horse plus living quarters?

We got our first horse trailer, a 3-horse slant gooseneck, about two years ago. Pulled it away from the lot and immediately had a 200+ mile round trip to get the horse to go with it. It pulled very, very easily, no sway or anything. Only thing we really had to learn was how long and wide it is, to avoid dragging it over curbs while turning. Also, adjusting the brake controller, but with a Prodigy that wasn't too hard.

I have much more towing experience with the GN than bumper pull. They are nice. We've had it on a 1500 mile round trip through the Appalachians with no problems. Having a good tow vehicle helps!

I agree that the clearance looks a bit tight.

One newbie mistake I made - leaving the electrical cable to the trailer in its hangers while moving (it was plugged in). First tight turn and it's bad for the socket it plugs into. So always remember to have the cord out of the hangers and loose while connected.

Second newbie mistake we both made - thinking that we could leave chocks and stuff (mostly heavy and non-aerodynamic) in the truck bed. No, wind and bumps make them go bye-bye! Inside the tack room or cab is the way to go.

/ New Horse Trailer #8  
Diesel-ME said:
PS - that's a stock F350 4x4 - with no extra lift. If I really had to I guess I could block up the trailer axles, but it should be OK now.

Yeah, I know. I didn't mean to imply you lifted it, just that it is lifted. You'd be surprised at how many people crunch their bed sides. They're about as safe from damage as fiberglass dually fenders! Just wanted to point it out and save you from puking...

/ New Horse Trailer #9  
Wow that is really close to the bed. The F350 has two inch spacers on the rear springs. That is one of the differences between it and an F250. You can remove those spacers and the truck will still be tail high. just like an F250.
I am positive that trailer has dexter torsion bar axles and you can not raise the trailer nor would you want to do that to a horse trailer.
Here is a pic of my F250 with my goose neck. Notice it has considerable more room than yours does and I get very close to bending the bed sometimes.
trucksm.jpg

/ New Horse Trailer
Z-Michigan said:
Looks nice. Is that a 2-horse plus living quarters?

2 horse straight load with dressing room. No LQ (well unless she wants to camp in the GN ) :)
It is streched an extra foot in the stall area - warmblood sized.