New Injector pump

/ New Injector pump #1  

NEWBY T 6050

Tractor
New Holland T 6050
After installing new pump it smokes pretty bad and lopes at an idle. Did not smoke much before. Where should I start?

/ New Injector pump #2  
After installing new pump it smokes pretty bad and lopes at an idle. Did not smoke much before. Where should I start?
Wel... smoking and loping generally mean too much fuel, or retarded injector timing. Since the the injector pump is new? - and you are absolutely & positively "swear on a 6 pack sure" that you got it timed and shimmed exactly right - then that only leaves the injectors.

With old injectors, the higher pressure of the new pump could be leaking past the internal seal in the injector. Old ones do that. And it would explain the smoke.
Have you got a local diesel shop with an injector tester? Only takes a minute to test them once you pull them out of the head. I see inexpensive injector testers on Amazon and Ebay, too. To do it yourself will need an injector puller and a tester that does pop, leak, and spray.

Of course if it is a home rebuild pump that expands the possibilities.

My hat is definitely off to you for picking up a wrench and going after this yourself.

rScotty

/ New Injector pump #3  
Is this a PFR pump.??
Otherwise known as a cassette pump.??
Sits in its own hole and operated by a separate cam.??
Did u swap all the shims off of the old pump onto the new.??

/ New Injector pump
Wel... smoking and loping generally mean too much fuel, or retarded injector timing. Since the the injector pump is new? - and you are absolutely & positively "swear on a 6 pack sure" that you got it timed and shimmed exactly right - then that only leaves the injectors.

With old injectors, the higher pressure of the new pump could be leaking past the internal seal in the injector. Old ones do that. And it would explain the smoke.
Have you got a local diesel shop with an injector tester? Only takes a minute to test them once you pull them out of the head. I see inexpensive injector testers on Amazon and Ebay, too. To do it yourself will need an injector puller and a tester that does pop, leak, and spray.

My hat is definitely off to you for picking up a wrench and going after this yourself.

rScotty
The pump was sent to a pro diesel shop. Came back locked in time. Was definatly the problem. Internals were trashed and shaft broke. There were no shims on old bosch pump. We pined the flywheel @ starter. The cam lobe @ manual pump was down as illustrated. I have done a few pumps over last 38 years and no issues. This one is kicking my butt. Smokes bad. Hard starting. And took forever to get air out of lines to Injectors. Tractor has 6,400 hours and is used daily.

/ New Injector pump #5  
Bosch VE pump.. don’t use shims..
Seeing it’s not keyed, it’s possible that the gear slipped..
Retime..
Pop off gear, degrease shaft and gear.. blow off.. install gear and use blue loctite on threads.. torque nut to 90 ftlbs..
Good luck

/ New Injector pump

rScotty
Leaning towards pulling injectors and have them checked out. After bleeding lines forever! Finally getting it running. It sits overnight and very hard to start. Lines full of air again. Bleed while running and finally all smoke cleared up. Let it sit 3 hours and guess waht. Lines full of air!

/ New Injector pump #7  
If the pump was as “goobered up” as u stated, it’s probably a good idea to get’m checked..
If after sitting, you get a bleed back situation.. it’s probably the lift/supply pump allowing the fuel to go back to the tank.??

/ New Injector pump #8  
Leaning towards pulling injectors and have them checked out. After bleeding lines forever! Finally getting it running. It sits overnight and very hard to start. Lines full of air again. Bleed while running and finally all smoke cleared up. Let it sit 3 hours and guess waht. Lines full of air!
You need to solve the air problem before blaming the pump or the people who worked on it just yet. Maybe you need to get a little "creative with a temporary fuel supply to eliminate some of the likely possibilities.
I doubt the injectors have anything to do with that problem. Leave them alone until you sort out the supply problem.

/ New Injector pump #9  
Just 1 more thing to throw atcha..
I have seen with my own eyes.. injectors stuck open and allowing compression to flow thru the injectors and into the pump..
It’s not an old mechanics tale, lol

/ New Injector pump #10  
If injectors were bleeding off thing would hammer trying to start, to get rid of raw fuel in the cylinder makes
Noise bends rods