New L5030

/ New L5030 #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Does anyone know how much the auxiliary oil cooler costs for the HST? I just ordered 4330 HST adn may want to put cooler on it. )</font>

If you ordered an HST and you plan on doing any hard enduring ground engaging work with it, you'd better plan on adding cooling capacity, especially if it's a cab model with ac and you live in a temperate area. Been there done that.

Get yourself a nice transmission cooler like a Hayden or Derale and plumb it in series with the existing cooler and mount it in the intake stream. They come in all sizes. It's no problem with the plumbing as the stock cooler is on the low pressure side of the pump, change your HST fluid at the proper intervals, don't skimp or extend the changes and keep your intake screens clean and free from foreign objects like grass or chaff and you will be all right.

Every night when I returned from the field after working my 5030, the first thing was let it cool down (while I had a cool beverage), open the hood, remove the side panels, pull the intake screens and blow them out and then flush the radiator from the fan side toward the front of the tractor first with compressed air and then with a stream of water from the hose and I mean every night.

I think if you pay more than $50.00 for an transmission oil cooler, you are paying too much. JC Whitless has them, so does Murrays

/ New L5030 #12  
John:

There you go. I gave them the voice of experience though, I hope, no fear. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ New L5030 #13  
Daryl, that was awesome, you did everything but plow his fields for him. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I love this place, and I get quite a chuckle (and frankly, also more than a little annoyed) any time someone says, "Oh, you can't trust what you see here, it's just someone's opinion blah blah blah ..."

If that didn't have the "ring of truth" to it, then I don't know what does. You said it - you've been there, you've done that, and most importantly, you spent a lot of your valuable time sharing it. Not bad for the cost of a TBN membership! (Oops, better watch what I say - Muhammad might start charging. Hey, am I "grandfathered in?) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks Daryl, great job.

/ New L5030 #14  
You can get a well equipped, ROPs M6800 with FEL, MFWD, hydraulic shuttle shift, etc., for around $30,000.

/ New L5030 #15  
NYFarmboy,
I have to agree with CT,5030, and tjkadar. The M's are better suited for this type of work. I am currently looking at the M's and waiting for the new version to hit the lots. You can get an M4900 for basically the same price as the L5030 in my area, cab or ROPS. For 60-80 acres to bushhog and 40-50 to till the M series and gear would be what I would get. Not sure what your budget is but the M6800, like tjkador said is around 30k -32k in NC,SC. If your budget is L5030 then take a look at the M4900. The M's are made for ground engaging equipment where this amount of land is concerned.

In the gear vs hydro I agree with these guys to. The heat generated from that much plowing and hogging will take its toll on the hydro.

I have a L3130DT ( CT I know you don't like the 3130 but bare with me here), I looked at the hydro and the 3430. I use the gear because I hog for several hours at a time and can only use a 5' hog due to obstacles ( would have went with the 3430 if I could have used a 6' hog), I raise shrubs on several acres. This is the primary use of the 3130. I also plant around 1400 pumpkins and use the 3130 to plow, disc, etc. I talked to many farmers and dealers before about the hydro and gear and all said for this type work go with the gear.

Now I am looking to expand my hobby farming, since I inherited another 29 acre farm and will be buying the M series. I will most likey keep the 3130 for the shurb business.
I would like to have a hydro though /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

You have received some good advice/opinions from some posters with alot more experience than I. This is just my $.02 worth.

/ New L5030 #16  
I'm very interested to see the cockpit layout (ROPs & Cab) on the new M series. I also like the redesigned 3 point hitch. As long as the new models don't suffer from teething pains, I think they'll be fantastic. Almost makes me wish I would have waited another year before moving up to a M.

/ New L5030 #17  
I was able to talk my dealer out of the brochure he got at the Kubota meeting on the new M's. Its almost worn-out now /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. I like the looks of both and hope to get the cab. The M5040 Rops should start at $19500 according to Kubota and my dealer.
I am just worried they will offer some incentive to move the M6800 and if they do I'm not sure my heart can take it /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. But if the price is right... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ New L5030 #18  
I have used my L5030HST / R4s with a 3-bottom plow and it has done fine, but I only broke a little over 2 acres with it. This was a fallow field that hadn't been turned in 30 -35 years, and in pretty decent soil without any clay. In low range there is plenty of power to pull the plow, but you definitely need to pull with the front wheels too. The transmission didn't seem to get any hotter than usual, but again, it was only a couple of acres. I have also used a 6' tiller with it pretty extensively on the 2 acres plus several gardens of about 1/2 acre in size over the past couple of years, and it has performed very well with that task. Of course, the primary use of the tractor is FEL work and brush hogging.

I only have about 500 hours on the tractor so there may be some problem develop down the road, but the hydraulic fluid looked and smelled fine when I changed it so I don't think there will be any problems. Plowing a couple of acres once in a while is a far cry from keeping 70 - 80 acres turned, though.

-Chuck

/ New L5030 #19  
Incentives would definitely help me take a M6800 over a new M5040.

The new cockpit layout of the M tractors is certainly a large step in the right direction. I'm not too worried about redesigned sheet metal though. It’s a tractor not a sports car. Things like the new shifter lever position, new 3 point hitch design, new motors, etc., all give me the upgrade-itis. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thankfully, I suffer from an irrational fear of first year models. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ New L5030 #20  
Personally, I don't like the slope hood. Is Kubota trying to copy Kioti?? I know you guys would like to wash my mouth with soap for that statement.

Quite honestly though and one thing I didn't like about the TN90 was the sloped hood. I am a hood man from my Western Star to my tractor and I use the hood, especially the hood ornament to get my rows straight especially after a few beverages /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Our 105 has a sloped hood and the corner mounted exhaust stack (which I like) though the hood mounted exhaust don't bother me. Besides, when she is puffing, I know she is working. I don't run the 105 very often, it's my partners baby and he makes the payment.

I am curious though as to what improvement was made to the three point other than external cylinders are available to increase lift, but I don't see what the need is for that. I can lift a 4x6 round bale on the spear in back no problem...that is good enough for me.

My only operational gripe onthe M9 is the lack of a high road speed. It will make at rated rpm in high range around 22. I do a lot of travelling on the road, from field to field and I like to get it done as quickly as possible. 28-30 would be nice. My 1085 Massey will make around 26....just fast enough to get a ticket in a school zone.

One other thing bothers me with the new "M" cab tractors and that is the ac vents right in frontof your kneecaps. Ever have cold air blowing on your old arthritic kneecaps even in hot weather.....it's not pleasant.