New member 1020

/ New member 1020 #1  

JE86

Tractor
1992 Mf 1020
First post, tractor would'nt start so I jumped it, thought the battery might be dead. Before buying a new battery checked to see if the alternator was charging the battery, was only getting a reading of 11 volts. Ordered one From DB electrical AMP0007, listed JD 650 application, hoping it works. Could not find it any where on the internet the Mf alternator part gp9152 that was stamped on it. Should arrive tomorrow will post an update when I get it installed.

/ New member 1020
Ok, installed the alternator, and still getting a reading of 11.38 which is about the reading with the engine off. Now I'm thinking its the regulator, don't see any online that match, there are no #s on the regulator. Checked the mf site the part # does not get any results, not sure I want to try the one that fits JD 650 that plug has a clip on it, where the one on now just plugs straight in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

/ New member 1020 #3  
Me? I love simplicity.
I like the Delco one wire alternator. They're inexpensive and simply one wire from it to battery.
Worst case you may have to fabricate a bracket. Junk yards would have loads of GM cars you could get a bracket from. 2021_02_27_18.08.21.jpg

/ New member 1020
Thanks Fuddy, I've ordered a regulator and if that does not work I'm going with your advice. What gauge wire did you use to connect to the battery, 10 gauge? I've looked over all the wires and don't see a break any where.

/ New member 1020 #5  
I know it is an old thread but I had the same problem once. The issue wasn’t the alternator. It was the regulator. Checked prices at the local Massey dealer and the regulator was very expensive. Bought the same unit at a local alternator repair shop for a grasshopper 721D diesel lawnmower. It was the exact same part and it has been working well for at least eight years.

/ New member 1020
I know it is an old thread but I had the same problem once. The issue wasn’t the alternator. It was the regulator. Checked prices at the local Massey dealer and the regulator was very expensive. Bought the same unit at a local alternator repair shop for a grasshopper 721D diesel lawnmower. It was the exact same part and it has been working well for at least eight years.
Unfortunately there are very few parts for this Massey Ferguson and no regulator, it was the regulator, read somewhere that JD 650 was very similar. Ordered a regulator for that, had to really push the plugs together but it worked. Then the bearings went bad in the alternator. Was able to replace those and now all is good.