New member and some pics of JD 3005

/ New member and some pics of JD 3005 #11  
Thank you Tim.
Hope life been good to you and your love ones.

/ New member and some pics of JD 3005 #12  
Chris,

Welcome! Great looking machine you have there and a nice place to use it. I've always really liked the square-jawed styling of the old 90 series.

Regarding your question about safe side slopes, I am using a 2520, so I can't answer for other types of tractors, but I regularly mow a 20 degee side slope and feel "relatively" safe doing it. I always keep my rops up (not an option for you) and my seat belt on for the side slopes. I do it very slowly and keep a close eye on what the tractor is doing, i.e., if it starts sliding sideways, I slow down even more, and am ready to stop or raise the rear mower a little (to get more weight on the rear tires) at any time. I think the key word on operating on slopes is slow.

The other thing I've seen as a key factor in slope stability is keeping the loader (or any other kinds of loads) as low as possible. I would never even try carring a load in my loader bucket on my 20 degree side slope.

Hope this helps a little.

Just one question from a newbie: What's a "pig pole"?

Best of luck.

/ New member and some pics of JD 3005 #13  
mcfly682 said:
I do have a question though concerning how steep of a grade is considered safe when travelling sideways on a slope. The tractor does feel unsteady on even a very slight slope when moving against the grain and i certainly dont want to push it. What would you all recommend for me in this situation? Ive read many a newspaper headline of folks who have died or been seriously injured from rolling their tractor over. I dont want that to be my 15 minutes of fame. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The 3005, 790, 770 (same basic tractor, I had a 770) feels more tippy to me than my new to me machine. After you get more time in the seat you'll be able to better judge it's stability. (The wife made me sell my 770 after I talked her into getting on board with me getting a more powerful machine, wish I was able to keep the 770, good solid tractor. I loved it)

To answer your question: if you are uncomfortable, avoid doing it. Traveling sideways on anything more than a minor slope is not advisable. All we need to do is hit a high spot on the high side at the wrong angle and you could be in the paper also.:( The good news is after more experience we become better able to tell the difference between stable but unfamilar and an area that is really unsafe.

/ New member and some pics of JD 3005
Thanks for the advice you all. I appreciate it very much.

Runner said:
Just one question from a newbie: What's a "pig pole"?

Best of luck.

It's about a 8-10ft boom arm that attaches to the 3pt hitch and basically let's you pick stuff up and then drag it. I got this so I could pick up the front end of 10-20ft logs out in the woods and then drag them back to my logsplitter where I can saw them up and split them. Very handy little attachment. I will post some pics of it as soon as I get a chance.

/ New member and some pics of JD 3005 #15  
It's about a 8-10ft boom arm that attaches to the 3pt hitch and basically let's you pick stuff up and then drag it. I got this so I could pick up the front end of 10-20ft logs out in the woods and then drag them back to my logsplitter where I can saw them up and split them. Very handy little attachment. I will post some pics of it as soon as I get a chance.

"Pig Pole," humm, I called it a "boom" for 44 years. Thanks, I've been educated. I now know what it's supposed to be called. :D