New member gravely L8 walk behind

/ New member gravely L8 walk behind #11  
With an L8 and strap pull start, will it spin any easier with synthetic oil in cold (30F) temps. I currently use the 10W30.

Opinions?

/ New member gravely L8 walk behind #12  
I really don't think different oil will help much - that's a big piston and flywheel mass to get going.

Most important good fuel and good spark - do you need to blow snow?

My experience is these older machines don't like cold as they get old - the gas too is different today than the leaded they grew up with.

/ New member gravely L8 walk behind #13  
Snow blowing is required. The back blade on the Kubota will only push the snow from the 300' driveway and I need to get rid of a lot, with more on the way this week. The compression, spark and gas work together great! Just seems like the oil is so thick I need to warm up the block to get it going. The cylinder was rebuilt by Richard's and has given the engine new life. I hope to get another 30 years out of it (or at least my son will). BTW, the snow blower is a beast with an impeller that may be heavier than some new big box store entire machines. With the spark adjusted properly all I need to do is get the "snap" and the engine fires up on the second pull. Probably the best investment I've ever made, (other than my wife). Total was $1.122.73 back in 1975 which was a small fortune back then. It has plowed the garden in the Spring, cut brush in the Summer and blown a mountain of snow in the Winters ever since.

/ New member gravely L8 walk behind #14  
DSC01393.jpg

I used this Gravely for years. A neighbour always thought a helicopter was coming on account of the single cylinder Kohler. I had to have those laser cut plates put on the back, plus more that were later welded into a single pack that weighed around 200 pounds just to balance the thing, otherwise you could not lift the blower. But man tht blower would blow a hundred feet! But awkward as ****!

I had a bush hog. Cut the front out of it with the plasma cutter to better cut brush and the odd crowd control assignment. Then I hit one stone and shattered a shaft in the mower resigning it to the scrap pile!

The finishing mower gave the best cut of any mower I have ever seen. Used dual wheels as I have a large hill behind my house. I had a sulky, with steering wheel and steerable wheels. It was a real hoot like an amusement park ride when you turned, but quite dangerous actually and I never did use it. You would hit a slight dip, and those handles would come down so quick, it wasn't even funny! You had better not have your legs together at the time!

Finally got rid of the whole thing in favour of a Steiner, but I am sure gonna miss the excercise running after that thing!

/ New member gravely L8 walk behind #15  
DSC01202.jpg

Found this pic of when I took the machine to a GFs cottage to cut the grass for her Mother! Used the Sulky, cause I figured I might stand a better chance against the Rattle Snakes! lol

/ New member gravely L8 walk behind #16  
Thankyou for the welcome.
Now down to business.I have a rotary cultivator attachment but no tines.I would like to have the rotary plow set up,is it possible to add the shaft and blades to the rotary cultivator ?Much thanks in advance.

I think the answer depends on the age of the cultivator. On some of the older (1970's) units the cultivator was an attachment to the rotary plow attachment. Indeed, if you have one of these then yes, removing the tiller attachment and inserting the hex shaft and blades makes it into a rotary plow. I do this every Spring to "plow" the garden and then convert to the tiller to run between the rows after planting.

Bruce

/ New member gravely L8 walk behind #17  
I am new to gravely also, i got one with several attachments. the one mounted is like yours here (Brian) and i thought it was a brush cutter. maybe it is...
today i ran it headfirst into some marsh grass, and the underside of the deck plugs up. that is when i first noticed there are no open port for a grass discharge.
apparently on a lawn it doesnt need the opening.?
so, is that attachment shown a brush cutter or a lawn mowing deck?
mine does have a super thick blade in there, that is why i thought it was a brush cutter.
not sure what model mine is , I think it said 5200 on the hood.
Den

/ New member gravely L8 walk behind #18  
Den - go ahead and post pics of the implement(s) you're asking questions about. That would help a LOT! :)

/ New member gravely L8 walk behind #19  
ok, i will be back about noon, and post some.
meantime, it looks like the mower on brians photo , of this posting. way back at the beginning.

/ New member gravely L8 walk behind #20  
Hi Den - I posted the picture of my Gravely L-8 Convertible (second post) and this is the brush cutter attachment - its round - the gravely mower is more traditional rectangular shape with several blades.

There is no discharge on the brush cutter - it is meant to chew things up.

The brush cutter has two thicknesses of blades - a real heavy one almost 1/2" thick, then a regular duty 3/8" thick. The brush cutter does cut grass just fine, but in stringy marsh clumps will wrap around the shaft unless you ease into it slowly. I think you found this out.