Chipper New member looking for advice on purchasing a wood chipper

/ New member looking for advice on purchasing a wood chipper #11  
Don't be afraid to buy a size bigger. the larger flywheel is an advantage. You will learn how big you can toss in. For instance, I have been told that the Wallenstein 6 inch one is only a few hundred dollars more than the 4 inch one (better yet if it is in stock and the dealer wants to move it), but has a much larger flywheel and will coast thru heavy loads that would otherwise be transmitted directly to your tractor's engine.

/ New member looking for advice on purchasing a wood chipper #12  
I have a Wallenstein BXM32 on my Kubota BX25D. I have used this for three years and plenty of hours without a problem. Just be sure to keep it greased.

/ New member looking for advice on purchasing a wood chipper #13  
   / New member looking for advice on purchasing a wood chipper #14  
I have a Wallenstein BX42 that I run with a JD2320.
Works great. Simple design, no belts, direct drive, easy to maintain.
I bought the Wallenstein due to the many positive reviews on this forum.
It has a directional adjustable chute.

/ New member looking for advice on purchasing a wood chipper #15  
I have the knockoff of this one. Best Wood Chipper Shredder I like the power feed and the large feeder opening that is horizontal. also large enough so you aren't bothered to remove the limbs. Those self feed models require that most limbs be removed and then the bare limb lifted to almost vertical to feed the horn.
Dennis

/ New member looking for advice on purchasing a wood chipper #16  
Wallenstein BX62. Best purchase ever. I'm at the minimum limit of pto hp for it and I can still go through 4-5 inch limbs with no problems. Blows the chips a long way. No need for a feeder. It will pull the limbs right out of your hands!

/ New member looking for advice on purchasing a wood chipper #17  
I have the Wallenstein BX42 with 35 PTO HP. I wish I had gotten the BX62, but I've been extremely impressed with what the 42 can handle. It's blade opening is 4 x 10" and you don't have to remove anything but the largest branches first. It self feeds great, but there is quite a bit of vibration that comes thru the trunk into your hands. The hydraulic feed would be great, but I'd rather have a 62 without it than a 42 with it.

/ New member looking for advice on purchasing a wood chipper #18  
I have a MacKissic TH182 3 point chipper/shreader that I run with a Kubota L3830 (about 30 hp pto). I really like it alot though it does not have the blower attachment so the chips pile up under the machine and need to be raked out periodically which is a pain. It will shred up to 1 inch branches and is real nice for cleaning up after the winter. The shredder part is a hammermill with 24 reverseable hammers that shred/chip just about anything. You would need to decide if you need a shredder or could go with just a chipper like the guys have said. - Mike

/ New member looking for advice on purchasing a wood chipper #19  
I have the Wallenstein BX42 with 55 PTO hp. It handles stuff up to 4 inches and anything bigger is burned in my wood stove. I really don't relish the thought of handling( read as lifting, swinging & dragging) a 6 inch limb or tree so that's why I bought the 42. I've had the same experiences as JN4310 and have used this unit for over ten years. The only "problem" I've experienced is when I owned a smaller tractor (24 PTO hp) and then the Ponderosa pine needles would, at times, plug the discharge chute. Too much pine sap and not enough wood chips to clear the chute. The bigger tractor has eliminated that problem completely. Mine is a total manual feed and never has given a moments problem. Given my experiences I would definitely purchase this unit again.

/ New member looking for advice on purchasing a wood chipper #20  
Have a bearcat echo 45540 that I bought used. Rated for 4.5 inch limbs but I rarely chip anything bigger than 3" - that said, I don't have to lob off any branches unless they are too big to bend into the chute (i.e. 90 degrees to the trunk). I tend to chip everything in place so not having a blower isn't a big deal.