New member - new owner

/ New member - new owner #11  
My Ventrac dealer screwed me when my electric clutch went bad. My tractor had 3 year warrantee and they told me it didn't and I showed them in the book and they told me it had to do with the engine Kubota only has two years. I ask them what do the electrical parts have to do with the engine? and my engine is a not a Kubota and has a 3 year warrantee. A 400.00 mistake, so don't feel bad they are all crooks...... jim

Hello All,
First post here, obviously, and just purchased my first Ventrac, a 4500P with 700 hours from a dealer. It is equipped with duals and a tough cut mower. The dealer assured me that the tractor had been completely serviced, and he said that the steering and hydraulic lift noise was normal for a Ventrac. When I got it home, I couldn't adjust the weight transfer. Called the dealer service guys and they said that even the 4500 didn't always pick up the heaviest attachments all the way. Use a jack, which worked. After the first ten hours, though, it would barely raise the mower.
Further investigation revealed that the machine had probably never been greased - that helped the steering slightly, replacing the hydraulic fluid and filters made the steering and lift work perfectly and silently, and draining the black tar from the engine made me feel better about the engine. Unfortunately, the weight transfer still couldn't be adjusted even though the lift cylinder was maxed out. Removed the weight transfer from the tractor and found the shaft bent about 20 degrees right where it enters the big spring. Straightened it in the press, re-installed, and it now works as it should.
I really love this machine as it is perfect for the heavy stuff around the pond and the steep rough ground around it, as well as all the paths in the timber, etc. My only question is: What bent the weight transfer shaft, and should I always set it to zero when not using the mower or when transporting it? Definitely don't want that happening again.
I am happy to have found this site and look forward to learning from the community.
Michael

/ New member - new owner
Good comments, all, especially prs's description of the weight transfer system.

I don't remember, but the air cleaner and mount could have still been off when I got to the front u-joint fitting from the left side. I had to remove it to get the weight transfer out. It was still a job just by feel, as you cannot see in there if your hands are in the way. I seem to have a lot of different grease guns, running a sawmill business. I reached it with a 15" flexible. Luckily, it doesn't need to be greased too often....

Michael

/ New member - new owner #13  
Johara, the owners of the dealership I use was, I suspect, shady at best. He had to sell-out and the new owner seems to be on the straight and narrow. Takes all kinds, I guess.

prs

/ New member - new owner #14  
I don't think I work in situations that are too abnormally dusty, but I notice the machine needs grease more often than the manual claims. By 50 hours all the locations would be bone dry.

prs

/ New member - new owner
I agree, and while there are some situations where one pump is enough, u-joints don't usually fail from too much grease.

/ New member - new owner #16  
I agree, and while there are some situations where one pump is enough, u-joints don't usually fail from too much grease.

Think about the U joints in your old pickup, how many miles do you go without greasing them?.... now you don't grease them at all..... jim

/ New member - new owner #17  
Johara, the owners of the dealership I use was, I suspect, shady at best. He had to sell-out and the new owner seems to be on the straight and narrow. Takes all kinds, I guess.

prs

Think about this, why don't any of them advertise the price??? Even on the internet or at the dealership? You can see the price on a Kubota..... or any other tractor plus the implements ..... they are stealerships.... jim

Last edited:
   / New member - new owner #18  
Think about the U joints in your old pickup, how many miles do you go without greasing them?.... now you don't grease them at all..... jim

They are very easy to replace on a pickup. Looks to be a royal PIA on a 4700 due to access. However, I have heard that U joint seals can be ruined if grease is pumped in too fast; though I have not seen that.
prs

/ New member - new owner #19  
They are very easy to replace on a pickup. Looks to be a royal PIA on a 4700 due to access. However, I have heard that U joint seals can be ruined if grease is pumped in too fast; though I have not seen that.
prs

It's too much grease that pops the seals. Beginners keep pumping until they see grease come out of the cups, then it's too late. At that point more frequent greasing will push out the dirt that intrudes.
I don't like how the new vehicles don't have zerks, once the grease is gone serious wear starts. Same way with sealed bearings, give me zerk fittings.

/ New member - new owner #20  
prs

No way easy remove the radiator and your looking at it, about a half hour....... jim