New Member - SA424, LX2610SU, or L2501

/ New Member - SA424, LX2610SU, or L2501 #1  

Radas

Tractor
Currently shopping
Hello all, long time lurker, first time posting.

The CFO has given me the green light to purchase a tractor in the next couple of months and I have narrowed down my choices between two Japanese manufacturers. I am not considering any of the South Korean brand names due to my affinity for Japanese products/quality and I realize this limits my options. I am also shying away from Deere since I can't stomach the "green premium".

We currently have a smaller property that needs a lot of work with future plans of purchasing 5-20 acres to build our retirement home on. I am still relatively young, so that will be some time in the future. Our current property is a hilly 1 acre lot 80% lawn and 20% wooded.

The type of work I'm looking to do with this machine:
Break ground and move a lot of heavy clay to prepare for concrete slabs, run a tiller for a small garden, pull deck/patio posts, install posts for new deck/patio/privacy fence, material moving, cleaning up felled trees/brush in our wooded area, putting in retaining wall (once I get a BH), planting trees, pulling a box blade at my in-laws to maintain a 400ft gravel driveway, and helping out at other friends' family properties. I have no interest in mowing and do not want this thing anywhere near my leach field/septic tank - I have a dedicated ZTR for mowing so the mid-PTO is not a concern.

I realize my property is a little small for the L2501 and probably the LX2610, but I want something that doesn't leave me wanting for more during a specific job. The soil here sucks and most of it is very dense clay, I'm afraid a big SCUT might have a tough time digging/grading this stuff. I read on here to buy the most tractor you can afford, so I'm keeping my spend at or below $25k mark to remain conservative and allow for a dump trailer and backhoe purchase in the future without breaking the bank too much.

I really like the LA525 loader on the standard L vs the LA535 on the LX... It's interesting that the SA424 loader supposedly has the same lifting capacity.

As far as dealer networks go, there's a Kubota dealer pretty much everywhere I look and only two Yanmars within 80 miles. I do a lot of my own maintenance so I'm only interested in the dealer network for warranty repairs and/or replacement parts.

Should I go big or go home with the L2501/LX2610SU Or keep things slow and practical with the SA424 SCUT?

Last edited:
   / New Member - SA424, LX2610SU, or L2501 #2  
The SA424 works remarkable well in tight locations. It comes with a CAB as an option too. My machine is 3 generations prior the the SA424 and I love it.

The Yanmar parts support will be outstanding as the engine is a globally supported. Parts will be there even after 20 years.

Yanmar engines are in many brands. RK tractors, John Deeres, Cub Cadets, Komatsu, Yanmar Marine, various brand name gensets, etc. So parts and basic tune up items will be EZ to find.

Kubota is like John Deere. It's there way or nothing for parts. Lots of proprietary things involved with less of a global offering.

Kukje or Kukji is Korean. They have been partnered with Yanmar for over 60+ years making Yanmar parts. Kukje even makes a few of the Yanmar engines under license. Mostly the Yanmar F 3-digit Series machines. Again, parts are EZ to find for Yanmar in all parts of the globe.

/ New Member - SA424, LX2610SU, or L2501
The SA424 works remarkable well in tight locations. It comes with a CAB as an option too. My machine is 3 generations prior the the SA424 and I love it.

The Yanmar parts support will be outstanding as the engine is a globally supported. Parts will be there even after 20 years.

Yanmar engines are in many brands. RK tractors, John Deeres, Cub Cadets, Komatsu, Yanmar Marine, various brand name gensets, etc. So parts and basic tune up items will be EZ to find.

Kubota is like John Deere. It's there way or nothing for parts. Lots of proprietary things involved with less of a global offering.

Kukje or Kukji is Korean. They have been partnered with Yanmar for over 60+ years making Yanmar parts. Kukje even makes a few of the Yanmar engines under license. Mostly the Yanmar F 3-digit Series machines. Again, parts are EZ to find for Yanmar in all parts of the globe.
Yeah the ability to work around stuff easily is definitely one upside to the smaller SA424 - dealers around me are charging roughly $19.5-22.5 for the SA424 which is why I considered the "upgrade" to the L/LX.

I also do like that the SA424 is relatively easy to service. Tuneup parts aren't really a concern, but things like HST repair parts/warranty work/etc... are a concern since dealers may or may not be local to me in the future.

The tractor Bob's videos online did Yanmar a solid by putting them on my radar. I appreciate your thoughts on the SA424 - how does your older gen fare with bucket work? Things like cutting out 8" of clay to fill with stone/etc...

/ New Member - SA424, LX2610SU, or L2501 #4  
LX2610SU would be my recommendation for one to four acres.
Load the rear tires 50% for stability. The LX2610 has 14.6" of ground clearance.

A quality dealer, reasonably close, available for coaching, is important for tractor neophytes. Most new tractors are delivered with a glitch or two requiring correction. My Kubota dealer is six miles away. I feel my local dealer continues to add value to my equipment after eight years. Dealer proximity is less important for those experienced with tractors and qualified to perform their own maintenance.

pull deck/patio posts

This application is not a reasonable expectation for the tractors you are considering.

I'm afraid a big SCUT might have a tough time digging/grading this stuff.

1) You will lack traction for your applications due to SCUT small wheels/tires. FEL lift capacity is much less than with a LX2610SU.

2) SCUT 8.5" ground clearance soon becomes an issue.

I'm keeping my spend below $25k mark to allow for a dump trailer and backhoe purchase in the future.

Budget for a "digging" toothbar attachment for your FEL bucket. "Piranha" pioneered the category for compact tractors. Everything Attachments is giving Piranha good competition in digging toothbars.

Have your contractor dig the footing for the retaining wall. Not smart to spend $5,000 for a Backhoe for a one time job which really requires foundation expertise to execute properly for long term safety.

Last edited:
How distant is the nearest Kubota dealer?

LX2610SU would be my recommendation for one to four acres.
Load the rear tires.

How distant is the nearest Yanmar dealer?

A quality dealer, reasonably close, available for coaching, is important for tractor neophytes. Most new tractors are delivered with a glitch or two requiring correction. My Kubota dealer is six miles away. I feel my local dealer continues to add value to my equipment after seven years. Dealer proximity is less important for those experienced with tractors and qualified to perform their own maintenance.

pull deck/patio posts

This application is not a reasonable expectation for the tractors you are considering.
Thanks Jeff, I have 12 Kubota dealers within 50 miles with the closest being 10 miles and I lied earlier, there are 3 Yanmar within 80 miles with the closest being 15 miles (although they were the priciest and I wouldn't buy equipment from them).

For deck posts, I was considering tractor weight/pulling power to use the chain/tire method if that is satisfactory with any of these models. I know bucket pulling vertically would not happen and BH is another option that I would leverage once I picked one up or borrowed my buddy's BH class 1.

What do you recommend to use as a ballast for the lx2610 besides filled tires (I read the manual recommends against filling for certain applications)? Box scraper with weights ok? And should I consider quick attach bucket even though it will reduce my loader capacity a bit?

Yeah weight is a concern, I don't want something too heavy, but the SA424 is advertised as 1700lbs with the tires full whereas the LX2610SU is advertised as 1786 but operating weight of 1900+ depending on implements. I believe tire sizes and clearance are similar.

Last edited:
   / New Member - SA424, LX2610SU, or L2501 #6  
Yeah weight is a concern, I don't want something too heavy, but the SA424 is advertised as 1700lbs with the tires full whereas the LX2610SU is advertised as 1786 but operating weight of 1900+ depending on implements. I believe tire sizes and clearance are similar.

In the field you will notice no difference between 1,700 pound bare weight tractor and a 1,800 or 1,900 pound bare weight tractor.

For deck posts, I was considering tractor weight/pulling power to use the chain/tire method if that is satisfactory with any of these models.

If posts were set according to code they will be in concrete, which adds a lot of removal resistance/friction. Generally speaking, compact tractor FELs have twice the lifting capacity of compact tractor Backhoes. I have pulled maybe a dozen 6 X 6 posts set in concrete using chains to my TPH Lower Links. My tractor is much heavier than what you are considering. Pulling the posts was a struggle, time consuming and not very safe. I will not repeat this particular community volunteer experience.

What do you recommend to use for FEL counterbalance on the lx2610 TPH besides filled tires? (I read the manual recommends against filling for certain applications) Box scraper with weights ok?

I do not know what material you will fill rear tires with. I do not know tire fill capacity. I do not know if you will fill rear tires 50% or 75%.

Buy a heavy enough Box Blade for FEL counterbalance without adding weight to it. This may be a Rollover Box Blade rather than the lighter standard style Box Blades for compact tractors.

And should I consider quick attach bucket even though it will reduce my loader capacity a bit?

YES. But only a SSQA (Skid Steer Quick Attach). There are other types of bucket quick attach. When you grade and perform many other mounted implement tasks it is helpful to drop the bucket for forward visibility.

For 1/5 acre of woods the FEL bucket will likely suffice for transporting brush and tree debris. I trust you own a good quality gas or battery powered chainsaw.

run a tiller for a small garden

FEL digging toothbar or a TPH Middlebuster will suffice for preparing a kitchen garden.

VIDEOS: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tractor+middlebuster+gardem

Last edited:

In the field you will notice no difference between 1,700 pound bare weight tractor and a 1,800 or 1,900 pound bare weight tractor.

For deck posts, I was considering tractor weight/pulling power to use the chain/tire method if that is satisfactory with any of these models.

If posts were set according to code they will be in concrete, which adds a lot of friction. Generally speaking, compact tractor FELs have twice the lifting capacity of compact tractor Backhoes.
Sorry I should have clarified better, I meant digging around the posts with the BH, I do not want to strain the hydraulic implements by trying to lift the posts 😁

If I won't notice much difference between the SA424 vs. LX2610SU weight, what sets the LX2610SU apart from the SA424 (assuming they have similar tire sizes and ground clearance - I believe they do & the SA on paper has a higher lifting capacity)? This is what had pushed me into L2510 territory, it's advertised as being about 7-800lbs heavier with similar loader capacity and a higher displacement engine.

Budget for a "digging" toothbar attachment for your FEL bucket. "Piranha" pioneered the category. Everything Attachments is giving Piranha good competition in digging toothbars.

Have your contractor dig the footing for the retaining wall. Not smart to spend $5,000 for a Backhoe for a one time job which really requires foundation expertise to execute properly for long term safety.
This is great info! Thank you. I've read great reviews on EA grapples and will check out the toothbar.

I have also considered selling my HSS1332ATD in favor of a snow pusher or rear mount snowblower, might as well use the tractor for everything if I can.

/ New Member - SA424, LX2610SU, or L2501 #9  
If I won't notice much difference between the SA424 vs. LX2610SU weight, what sets the LX2610SU apart from the SA424 (assuming they have similar tire sizes and ground clearance - I believe they do & the SA on paper has a higher lifting capacity)? This is what had pushed me into L2510 territory, it's advertised as being about 7-800lbs heavier with similar loader capacity and a higher displacement engine.
This post is not comprehensible to me. Please edit for clarity.

You work hard for your money. Buy what you want. My first tractor was a Deere/Yanmar 750, which was almost all Yanmar. A fine tractor. I am not familiar with contemporary Yanmars.

On one (1) acre I recommend the LX2610SU over the slightly greater bulk and weight of the L2501. It takes a 50% increase in compact tractor bare weight before you really notice a capability increase in the field. If you had six acres, perhaps the L2501 would be more appropriate. (Note: I owned a Kubota B3300SU, a predecessor model to the LX2610.) The L2501 expels a great deal more pollutants than the LX2610.

Last edited:
This post is not comprehensible to me. Please edit for clarity.

You work hard for your money. Buy what you want. My first tractor was a Deere/Yanmar 750, which was almost all Yanmar. A fine tractor. I am not too familiar with contemporary Yanmars.

On one (1) acre I recommend the deluxe features of the LX2610SU over the economy features but slightly greater weight of the L2501. It takes a 50% increase in compact tractor bare weight before you really notice a capability increase in the field. If you had six acres, perhaps the L2501 would be more appropriate. (Note that I owned a Kubota B3300SU, a predecessor model to the LX2610.) The L2501 expels a great deal more pollutants than the LX2610.
apologies, had a lot of thoughts to get out while on the treadmill, made sense at the time 😂

Let me rewrite my point:

1. You mentioned the 2610SU @ roughly 1900lbs and the SA424 @1700lbs wouldn't net a discernible difference in the field. Point taken.

2. Yanmar 424 is a big SCUT (They call it a compact but it has a limited 3ph), however, it does have 9+" of ground clearance and larger tires like the 2610SU - I don't think it has the same overall length and width as the 2610SU though...

3. Your points regarding getting stuck in mud and FEL capacity make sense for a normal SCUT but the Yanmar's ground clearance is comparable to the 2610SU and it has a listed FEL capacity of 1200lbs vs. The LA535 on the 2610SU at roughly 1000 lbs.

4. The SA424 has roughly 400lbs less 3ph capacity and a limited 3ph vs the LX2610SU and the Kubota is a true category 1 3ph. I'm guessing the Kubota will serve my augering needs beeter than the Yanmar.

What I'm trying to figure out is, given these variables, are there any other advantages to the LX2610SU that warrant the $5k price differential between these two machines? They seem very similar besides the 3ph and maybe the footprint. I will take your advice regarding the L2501, it did seem overkill for my lot size and future upsizing and I do prefer the easier to reach loader joystick on the Yanmar and the LX2610SU.

I appreciate your insight on not wasting money on tillers and going with the toothed blade adapter for my needs. Also, point taken on the BH, I do have one I can borrow when I need but I will reconsider purchasing one since I can rent a mini excavator or trencher for gutters and whatnot. Also, please don't take my comments the wrong way as they may seem argumentative or all over the place, I am very appreciative of your help so far and just want to make sure I don't have any regrets post-purchase, hence the many questions and comments. So far, I am still leaning towards the LX2610SU.

Do you recommend any of the following highlighted items on this LX2610SU build?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220220-131752.png
    Screenshot_20220220-131752.png
    261.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited: