/ new member #1  

jdchandler

Tractor
NA
hi all, my name is john and live in smyrna, tn. my wife somehow convinced me to buy her a 22 acre farm for her and my daughter's horses. i'm needing to get a tractor with a front loader. not sure which one to get, they all seem so expensive.

/ new member #2  
:welcome:
To TBN JD...is that John David? Yes Tractors are a little expensive but you will sure need one and with most makers offering % financing that makes it a little easier. I would recommend a CUT of at least 40 or more HP.

As for the wife wanting land for the horses, you know you HAVE to keep the wife happy.

/ new member #4  
Ok, different person but howdy anyway. I was born in New Providence (now Clarksville), TN and know a John David down there.

/ new member #6  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Enjoy the site... I too have a small horse property. I've been quite pleased with my 41hp tractor, especially when it comes to handling rounds of hay. I'm not pushing JD, there are several other 'colour' manufacturers in this (& slightly higher) hp ranges that would suit.

/ new member #7  
just joined yesterday myself. as for tractors there are all kinds of used ones around, just have to be careful.

/ new member #8  
Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

You have to keep the family and horses happy!

I'm going to move your thread over to the Buying, Pricing and Comparisons section for further discussion.

/ new member #9  
John Douglas, you have to re-frame your attitude, and simply consider a tractor as a useful investment, which you can cash out of when needed. Just learn about tractors by wasting a lot of time here on TbN, buy a clean used tractor, preferably a Kubota, take care of it, and when it's time, you can sell it for what you have in it, more or less.

IMHO, you will want something with a SSQA loader, at least one set of rear remotes, HST, and as far as a cab goes, that depends on what you expect to be doing with it mostly. If mowing in the summer, or plowing in the winter, a cab is sure nice. In the woods, or on and off it a lot, then an open station is easier. Leave some funds for implements and attachments. I have owned three used Kubotas, and never had any issues with any of them. Great tractors. Kioti and JD guys probably would say the same thing.

/ new member #10  
hi all, my name is john and live in smyrna, tn. my wife somehow convinced me to buy her a 22 acre farm for her and my daughter's horses. i'm needing to get a tractor with a front loader. not sure which one to get, they all seem so expensive.

Everything is relative. You can spend next to nothing and use hand tools to get your work done, like they did long ago. Of course farmers back in those days often worked themselves into an early grave. Or you can invest in some modern tools that make the jobs much easier. In that context, having good equipment seems downright cheap. Ask wifey if she expects you to be like the city guy on that old TV show "Green Acres" who moved to the country and didn't have the first idea how to get anything done, or whether you can get the right tools and stand a better chance of being around to enjoy the place for a while.