New owner 2538 HST - Electrical Questions

/ New owner 2538 HST - Electrical Questions #1  

y2kvfr

Tractor
Mahindra 2538 HST
Long time lurker... Sorry if this has been covered, but after about 4 hours last night searching this forum, I've given up and come to you for help!

I just took possession of a '17 2538 HST with FEL left-over. Dealer made a smoking good deal that I couldn't refuse (he wanted it off the lot), and didn't have to dicker. 5' bush hog (MD with slipper clutch) and a 6' box blade.

Tires aren't weighted (yet, there's a local tire shop that will come to my place and do it, according to a farmer friend of mine), and well, I have some questions.

In reading the manual (I'm an engineer by day, yes, I RTFM), I noticed that there is an accessory wiring harness option, in my research here it is a European 7 pin trailer hook up. I've searched all over to find that part, as I would like to, on occasion, pull a sled trailer (Halloween Hay Ride - used to use my ATV, but negative tongue weight is a problem!)

I found several connectors just dangling freely without caps or covers at the back end. I'd love to be able to source the mate for the trailer wiring and just hook up a flat 4 or flat pin 7 (same as my pickup). Or if the mahindra part is cheap enough, just get that and an adapter (cheap. See 'engineer' above). I ASSume that the rectangular plug on the left side near the mounting plate is for the trailer.

Near that connector is also a 2 pin connector. Any ideas what that is for?

On the right side I found 2 spade connectors with silicone covers labelled B+ and B-. I haven't "fluked" them yet, but what I've read on this site is that they are always on 12V and ground pair. If that is the case, I'd love to add an LED accessory light, but will need to add a switch. In the same area is a single wire with connector (black and white). I haven't the foggiest what that is either.

As far as switching the acc. light - I noticed my dash doesn't have knockouts. But, pressing the mylar cover sticker there are 4 holes, like they just wanted to save the $0.04 in manufacturing and assembly by not providing blanks. Anyone know what size switch they accept? (Just trying to save time before I disassembly my brand new dash!)

Attached are some pictures of those electrical connectors in the back.

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 860
  • next_to_trailer.jpg
    next_to_trailer.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 607
  • b_positive.jpg
    b_positive.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 781
  • Near_b_positive.jpg
    Near_b_positive.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 487
   / New owner 2538 HST - Electrical Questions #2  
I too have OCD and understand the desire to “find” the exact wiring harness.....basically out of principle at this point. My fear is the harness you are after will be harder to find than hen’s teeth. Between to local dealer and Mahindra USA I doubt they will have any desire to search down a euro wire harness....just my gut.

Anyway- you sound knowledgeable with regards to the electrical so here we go- ring out those plugs to see which one is the trailer lighting (turn, hazards, running etc). If you are bent on using the existing plug check out www.delcity.com and look up the waterproof connectors. The ones in your pictures are generic. The other option (to heck with OCD) would be to lop the existing connector off and install the one you want.
I don’t know about the “factory” switch. The dealer may have/ be able to find one. But then again, Delcity will have one that will do what you want- size, shape etc.

Good luck. I’m not trying to run you over. But I’ve seen several folks on here having trouble finding parts that way less obscure. So I’m thinking I’m saving you some headaches.......maybe haha!

/ New owner 2538 HST - Electrical Questions
   / New owner 2538 HST - Electrical Questions #4  
My Branson 8050 has the Euro style 7 pin connector mounted on the tractor, I picked up a male connector to fit it and a standard 7 flat blade US RV and wired them together, some of our implements use a 7 pin and some have a flat bladed 7 connector it's a pain

/ New owner 2538 HST - Electrical Questions #5  
At least one of the pigtails near the rear end is an accessory lead, not keyed. I used mine to mount a 12v power port on the rear, so I can plug in a fuel pump, accessory light, heater, fan, whatever. I suspect that there may be 2 accessory pigtail leads back there. I'm doubtful you can "re-wire" those to adapt a 4 prong tail light assembly.

The pigtails for the tail lights, flashers, and turn signals may need to be "tapped" to get your harness leads.

One the dash, left side, under the mylar cover, there is a cut out in the dash to mount a cruise control switch. Right behind it is the pigtail to plug it in, and down by your foot pedals is another pigtail to power the electro magnet. When you buy the cruise control kit, it comes with a new mylar cover that has "Cruise" labeled on it, along with the signals, flashers, etc. Takes about 10-15 minutes to install cruise for the 2538. There is also an idiot light already on the dash for cruise control engaged, once its hooked up.

I have the mating connector for the directionals, brakes and hazards on order from AliExpress. I will take pictures and what-not when it arrives.

I didn't find an exact switch to fit the knock out behind the mylar (I did end up taking apart the dash. There are 3 knockouts covered by the mylar - 1 for cruise and 2 smaller square holes just south of where the cruise button is).

I have a 7 pin flat trailer wiring receptical that I will mate to the KET connector when it comes in. I will have to fabricate a mount for it as it won't fit where the euro connector installs.

Here's a link for the KET connector (fitment not physically confirmed yet):

8 Pin Female Male Waterproof Electrical Wire Connector Plug Auto Connectors MG640341 MG610339
8 Pin Female Male Waterproof Electrical Wire Connector Plug Auto Connectors MG64341 MG61339-in Connectors from Lights & Lighting on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Just got my service manual. Wiring the trailer plug will be a breeze now.

However, the electrical diagram is too small to read. I want to add a light bar that is switched with the key.

/ New owner 2538 HST - Electrical Questions #8  
Just got my service manual. Wiring the trailer plug will be a breeze now.

However, the electrical diagram is too small to read. I want to add a light bar that is switched with the key.

Just be aware that the wiring diagram will not show the variations that exist between countries where tractors are sold.

For example, in North America brake lights are not required. There will not even be a brake light switch at the brake pedals.

In many European countries where tractors are traveling the roads, brake lights are mandatory.

Be sure to check your harness for real power on identified circuits so you don't wire things up and then find some features do not work.

This is my experience with new Kubota in 2012.

Dave M7040

Just be aware that the wiring diagram will not show the variations that exist between countries where tractors are sold.

For example, in North America brake lights are not required. There will not even be a brake light switch at the brake pedals.

In many European countries where tractors are traveling the roads, brake lights are mandatory.

Be sure to check your harness for real power on identified circuits so you don't wire things up and then find some features do not work.

This is my experience with new Kubota in 2012.

Dave M7040

Yup. Verified the connector wiring with the service manual. Brakes, directionals, and parking lights are there with my fluke.

Connectors have arrived from AliExpress and it fits!

Lightbar is here. Time to do some wiring!

/ New owner 2538 HST - Electrical Questions #10  
Yup. Verified the connector wiring with the service manual. Brakes, directionals, and parking lights are there with my fluke.

Connectors have arrived from AliExpress and it fits!

Lightbar is here. Time to do some wiring!

Great
Glad it is working out for you.
Many owners who want to tow a trailer on public roads have been surprised when there is not even a brake light switch yet the wiring diagram shows one.

Dave M7040