New Owner, a few questions and observations

/ New Owner, a few questions and observations #1  

County6404

Tractor
none
I just got home my new Kioti CK4010 HST and after a few hours of use, I had a few concerns that maybe you can help me with.

1- The hour meter at the dealer showed 5 hours. When it was delivered to me a few weeks later it showed 9 hours. After the second or third start up when I was using it, the hour meter read 1.4 hours. It seemed to accurately keep time from then on that day. What gives? I need an accurate meter to keep up with maintenance.

2- I chose to get the Ag tires which are a little taller / narrower. The tractor made me nervous on a hill and slope thinking I was going to roll it. I'm sure I wasn't close to rolling but seeing a rear wheel off the ground a few inches usually gets my attention. Do you guys weigh your tires (weights / water, etc) ? Do you use or have considered wheel spacers to push the wheels outward for better stability?

3- If you have the HST, do you find that it's hard to shift from one range to the other? Seems like I need to "rock" the tractor a little to get it to shift. (it's almost like my manual shift ATV, it needs to be rocked a little when there's tension on the tranny) Sometimes it's easy but more often it takes a good bit of muscle to shift. Any thoughts?

4- It has a horn button and wiring but no horn. Is a $5 horn really an option? I don't really want or need a horn but you would think if they had the button and wiring, it would have a horn.

Overall, I am very pleased with my 4010.

/ New Owner, a few questions and observations #2  
I just got home my new Kioti CK4010 HST and after a few hours of use, I had a few concerns that maybe you can help me with.

2- I chose to get the Ag tires which are a little taller / narrower. The tractor made me nervous on a hill and slope thinking I was going to roll it. I'm sure I wasn't close to rolling but seeing a rear wheel off the ground a few inches usually gets my attention. Do you guys weigh your tires (weights / water, etc) ? Do you use or have considered wheel spacers to push the wheels outward for better stability?

3- If you have the HST, do you find that it's hard to shift from one range to the other? Seems like I need to "rock" the tractor a little to get it to shift. (it's almost like my manual shift ATV, it needs to be rocked a little when there's tension on the tranny) Sometimes it's easy but more often it takes a good bit of muscle to shift. Any thoughts?

4- It has a horn button and wiring but no horn. Is a $5 horn really an option? I don't really want or need a horn but you would think if they had the button and wiring, it would have a horn.

2. Tractors with oversize rear tires (most tractors) are inherently unstable side-to-side. Filling the rear tires 3/4 with a non-freezing liquid lowers the tractor center of gravity. Wheel spacers are the better modification. CK40 may have built in adjustable rear wheel width.

3. Balky HST shifting smooths out with use. The shift linkage on a tractor is built to withstand HD stresses, not primarily for ease of shifting.

4. If you decide to add a horn, do not fool around: get a STEBL brand Italian motorcycle horn from Amazon.
SAVE THE SQUIRRELS!

Last edited:
   / New Owner, a few questions and observations #3  
Welcome To TBN...................

On the hour meter the last digit is usually tenths of an hour. You probably saw 5/10 then 9/10ths of an hour. Now you have 1.4 hours.

Since you have Ag (R1) tires they may be adjustable. If the centers are bolted to the wheels you can adjust the spacing to move them out. Check your owners manual for the procedure. Loading the rear tires will help with more stability on slopes.

On new tractors most of the levers and linkages are stiff and hard to shift. They will loosen up with time and hours.

Not sure if the horn is an option or someone took the horn before it was delivered. Check your owners manual to see if it is an option. If it is supposed to come with a horn tell your dealer it's missing. If an option and the button and wiring are there add your own.

/ New Owner, a few questions and observations #4  

First, congratulations on your new tractor.

I don't know anything about your tractor, but are you sure the button is for a horn? My NH TN 55 has what appears to be a "horn button," but holding in the button powers up the thermostart.

Steve

Last edited:
   / New Owner, a few questions and observations #5  
Everyone seem to have it covered for you wider stance will certainly help with stability but for loader work I think having the tires fill is a must or ballast on the 3 point.

/ New Owner, a few questions and observations #6  
Plenty of people load the tires, and if any loader work is to be done, something heavy on back is needed.

Hour meter is likely in tenths, but keep an eye on it just in case.

The HST shift issue is ubiquitous, it will smooth out over time, but will always be there.

Horns seem to be an interesting issue, I don't have one, or a place for one, but the ones at the dealer did. Do I need one? No, but they one would be neat and have some uses I'm sure. If I get bored this winter, I might put one on.

/ New Owner, a few questions and observations #7  
My older DK35se Kioti has the horn. I have tooted it a couple of times to see if it still works.. Haven't needed it since. Not saying you might not need it though.
Yes the Range lever can be balky at times. but it does get slicker with use. Yes you need to make the tractor move a small amount at times, by letting your foot off of the brake pedal and letting it roll slightly or by "blipping" a hydro pedal a bit to make the gear train move, and try alignment again. Remember the range selector is just a "crash box" gear transmission with no synchronizers so some gear clash is inevitable, especially when new and the gear teeth are sharp.
As others have stated, I recommend filled tires, and if you can widen the stance by wheel adjustment by all means do so. Dont forget to always have the proper 3pt ballast on the rear when doing loader work, and always keep your bucket as low as possible when traveling. This is especially important on any kind of rough or sloped ground.

If you will follow those rules, you will have a much better chance of keeping the shiny side of the tractor upright. With the combination of filled tires, wider stance, and proper ballast, you will have a completely different handling tractor, that will be safer and much more useful.

/ New Owner, a few questions and observations #8  
If you hit the brake it makes it easier to shift the range selector. Putting it in 2wd might help.

/ New Owner, a few questions and observations
Thanks guys for the replies. Awesome info. As for the hour meter, it was in 10th's and I obviously need stronger glasses !!!! The horn issue still confuses me. It is definitely a horn button (works when I put a a meter on it and press the button) and the wiring ends at the two connectors under the hood at the very front. Just odd that an inexpensive horn would be an "option". Just leave it all off if that's the case. I really appreciate the advice and I'll keep you posted on my upgrades and observations.

/ New Owner, a few questions and observations #10  
Post some pics and update your tractor info in your profile.