New Owner of a Kioti LB2204

/ New Owner of a Kioti LB2204 #1  

RandR10

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti LB2204
Hey everybody. I just became the proud new owner of an LB2204. Tractor seems to be in overall serviceable condition. It goes through all the gears, hi and lo ranges, 3-point lift works, PTO works at both speeds, and there's a pin missing in the 4wd linkage, but everything looks good there. Hydraulics are a little tired, but for now they'll do what I need. The engine is on its last leg though. Massive blowby with smoke visible out the vent tube and sounds like it may be down a cylinder. I'm fairly new to diesel engines (my first was a 7.3 IDI 2 years ago that I have since sold), so they all sound like they're going to throw a rod to me, but this one seems to have an especially loud clack to it, so I'm a little worried the crank might be toast from a spun rod bearing/knock. Could be top end noise I'm not sure. I found the following thread, but it's been dead so long, wanted to start a new thread about this.

So from what I can gather this tractor was nearly identical or identical to the Kubota L-series tractors from this era since Kioti made the Kubota gearboxes and sheetmetal at the time. Based on that thread, I'm gathering that the Dae Dong and Kubota engines are so close that even the oil pan will interchange? The D1402 he swapped in is a bigger displacement engine than the DH1101-b that's supposedly in there now, but the fact that they're so close gives me a little hope for my predicament.

Even more confusing about all of this is that the DH1101-b is the same exact part number as a Kubota engine from the same era. I even found a thread on another forum about a Kubota engine of the same model number that even had the same 1115cc cast into the side like mine (see pic). Was Dae Dong rebadging the Kubota engine or did they just manufacture the same engine in house using the Kubota design? It seems like they're pretty darn close to identical, maybe even the same castings.

Regardless, I obviously need to either rebuild this engine or repower it with something else and I'm considering my options. What kind of life expectancy could I expect out of the Dae Dong engine if I rebuilt it and would it be worth it? Since these all seem to have SAE flywheel and bellhousing sizes and patterns respectively, would any old 3-cylinder diesel with those same specs bolt in or am I going to be running into issues with oil pan clearance and what not? I don't really care about which brand, I just need something that works and will last a couple thousand hours with routine maintenance, as I'll probably be dead by the time this machine sees that many hours. The Kubota stuff seems to be really expensive even in heavily used condition, and Dae Dong engines are all but non-existent out there on CL and Marketplace, so the chances of me finding that unicorn $500 deal that the other OP got seems to be pretty slim unless I can go with a more modern Kubota engine or some other brand of diesel. Thanks in advance for any info.

Attachments

• KIMG3411.JPG
    KIMG3411.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 174
  • KIMG3418.JPG
    KIMG3418.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 166
   / New Owner of a Kioti LB2204
For example, I keep finding the Kubota D905 engine for more reasonable prices than most, and it would be a good match for this machine power wise, but I don't know if I'll run into any problems with the swap.

I'm also finding rebuild kits for the Kubota version of the DH1101 all over the place for pretty cheap, so if the castings are the same and those kits would work, I think I may just go that route. Again, anyone with info on the interchangeability of these engines, please chime in.

/ New Owner of a Kioti LB2204 #4  
An FYI for ya..I successfully used kubota rings in my lk3054 with no problems at all, and they were a lot cheaper! Good luck

An FYI for ya..I successfully used kubota rings in my lk3054 with no problems at all, and they were a lot cheaper! Good luck
Yeah it seems like the Dae Dong TD1400 in your tractor would be equivalent to the D1403 from Kubota? It's been very difficult to find public info on any of these engines.

So I've done quite a bit more digging, and so I'll give my findings even though none are conclusive.

First off, I analyzed a bunch of pictures of the L245 Kubota tractor that has the DH1101 in it, and I can not find any visual differences between my engine and drivetrain vs. that tractor, so even though the sheet metal and name of this tractor are closer to the L2202DT Kubota, I think I basically have an L245 with a different hood on it, with either a Dae Dong built version of the same engine or a rebadged Kubota engine. As far as the engine internals swapping, that remains to be seen, but zenmek's post above gives me hope.

I pulled the valve cover off today to check valve adjustment. As I suspected, none were too tight, so the lack of compression on the bad cylinders is likely due to worn rings. Considering the amount of blow by I figured that was certainly the case on at least 1 cylinder. I was cranking the engine over by hand, and cylinder 1 actually made enough compression to slip the belt as the piston was coming up. Cylinder 2 I couldn't feel much, but I could hear hissing on the compression stroke. Cylinder 3 I felt a little resistance but not as much as cylinder 1. Looks like cylinder 2 is pretty much toast.

I did adjust the valves as per SOP before doing a compression check, but I don't know if I should even bother. This thing needs a rebuild for sure.

/ New Owner of a Kioti LB2204 #7  
Thank you for all the information and research. I have an 87 LB2204. It has pretty much done the whole blow by and noisy rattle since I purchased it 20 years ago. It just keeps going. I needed a steering shaft and bearings which the local Kioti dealer couldn't come close to finding. In desperation, I tried one from a Kubota L245 which fit perfectly. I have been told that Kioti and Kubota had some sort of partnership back then. The DH 1101 engine specs match perfectly. Even the bore and stroke are a match. Looking forward to hearing what you come up with.

Started tearing down the tractor today to pull the engine out. I think I found the reason for the engine issues. The inside of the air filter is almost as dirty as the outside in spots. I wiped my finger on the inside of the intake tube and it's completely coated with a fine dust, so it's been sucking in dirty air for a good long while. It looks like the air filter that was in there may be original to the tractor. Why do people neglect simple routine maintenance? My last tractor was a Massey 204 with an oil bath filter and it was so dirty I had to run solvent through it to get all the sludge out of the mesh. Those are so easy to service normally. Just dump out the old oil from the dish, clean the gunk out, fill with fresh oil, then put it back on. I'm actually encouraged by this air filter find though because it may mean I've only got a worn ring issue and the rest of the bottom end may be in good shape. Fingers crossed.

LEChambers, the blow by is so bad on this engine that it pukes oil out the breather tube. I assume it's fuel coming from that dead cylinder causing the oil level to rise, and with the blowby being so bad it just blows the excess out that tube. It's always losing oil out that tube but it always shows a little high on the dipstick no matter how much it pukes out. Thanks for the info on your steering. I'm further encouraged that I'll hopefully be able to use a Kubota DH1101 kit on my engine for a rebuild. Once I get it torn down and inspect the block and crank, if everything checks out I'll probably pull the trigger on a rebuild kit then get it over to a machine shop to have the sleeves installed and have any crank work done that it needs. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go through the head too considering how much dust those valves have seen.

KIMG3498.jpg
KIMG3492.jpg

So I got quite a bit further on this over the last few days and other than the fact that I had to do all this work, I'm feeling really good about this engine now. I may even be able to get away with just a cylinder hone and some new rings. Got started tearing the engine down and it's got the head and oil pan off now. I took a look at the condition of the cylinder walls themselves and the connecting rod big ends.

For the cylinder walls, even though the crosshatch is gone on all the cylinders, I can't see any visible vertical scoring. There's a decent ridge at the tops of each cylinder (much of which may be carbon), but they seem like they're in great shape considering all the blow by this engine had. As far as the big end of the rod goes, no signs of heat and no play in the rods on their crank journals.

Also, I mentioned earlier that cylinder #2 was making a wheezing noise as it came up to TDC on the compression stroke. I thought that was either rings or valves. Turns out it was just the injector. Like a lot of stuff on this machine, the injector on that cylinder wasn't tightened down properly and air was actually leaking past. I discovered this when I took the injector lines off. I dribbled some oil in there to check if the looseness was causing the noise, and sure enough, bubbles when I cranked it over.

In keeping with the theme of deferred maintenance, the oil pan is filled with gobs of sludge and the pickup tube screen has some gunk in it. Looks like no one changed the oil for a few hundred hours. I'm not so sure on my air filter assessment from earlier now. That #3 cylinder was so bad that the intake and exhaust ports (especially the exhaust) were caked with carbon build up. That may be the substance I found in the intake tube. The lack of oil changes may be what took out the rings. Who knows, maybe a combination of the two.

Tomorrow I'll be pulling out the rods and checking the cylinders for roundness and taper. I'm also going to inspect the pistons themselves, although I'm thinking they'll look good considering the condition of the cylinder walls.

Last but not least, I've been watching a lot of teardown videos of Kubota engines since there are none of the DaeDong engines. If this isn't in fact built by Kubota, it's a very very close copy. It's the exact same design Kubota uses. It doesn't just look the same outside. The internals look the same as well. As soon as I get done with my inspection and figure out what I need to buy, I'm going to source parts for the Kubota DH1101.

I'll attach a few pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• KIMG3552.jpg
    KIMG3552.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 134
  • KIMG3553.jpg
    KIMG3553.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 131
  • KIMG3555.jpg
    KIMG3555.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 140
  • KIMG3556.jpg
    KIMG3556.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 143
  • KIMG3558.jpg
    KIMG3558.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 111
  • KIMG3548.jpg
    KIMG3548.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 122
Well I guess this settles the debate on whether I'll need new pistons. I'm absolutely blown away by how little damage there is to that cylinder wall considering the condition of this piston. The piston itself has a big chunk out of it, both compression rings were in pieces and that big chunk of aluminum was nowhere to be found, so it must have just been ground to pieces by the tumbling chunks of ring. Some of the little tiny pieces of piston ring were embedded in what's left of the ring lands. I don't know what collapsed these ring lands but my favorite theory is that someone overdid it with ether and hydrolocked it. The pistons come up so high on these engines that if the gasket wasn't in there it would hit the head. I got a better look at the cylinder walls and they all have very light scoring on them, but nothing crazy. They're also just out of spec at the top end of the cylinder and they are slightly oval shaped. The stock sized piston spec is 1.9921" and the measurements were anywhere from 1.9927" all the way up to 1.9973" (measured with a Mitutoyo micrometer and a Lufkin snap gauge). The spec on an oversize piston for this is 0.5 mm which works out to 3.0118" so the machine shop can take quite a bit of material out to clean up the existing damage. Hopefully that gives him enough room to clean it up.

The rod journals on the crank look really good and the bearings themselves have the merest whiff of scoring where the oil feed hole is, so I'll likely be able to go with stock size bearings. At this point everything's out of the engine but the crank, which I'll probably do tomorrow. On these you have to take it off the stand because the crank comes out the back of the engine. Overall I'm pretty happy with what I have to work with. Next thing I need to do is find a local machine shop. Anyone know of a good automotive machine shop in the Raleigh area?

Attachments

• KIMG3563.jpg
    KIMG3563.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 100