New Owner of a YM165

/ New Owner of a YM165
There are no other holes on the hub, and the hole with the bolt and double nut is not threaded.

/ New Owner of a YM165
I agree. That'll fix that problem. But I wonder if his bolt pattern for the rims is the same.??

Yep, bolt pattern is a good question. Plus, before I shell out $200 for hubs + new lug nuts that Hoye says you need, I'm gonna do some thinking on how to fix the setup I have right now.

/ New Owner of a YM165 #135  
I would say if you have the original rims then the bolt pattern would be the same, if not, who knows.

/ New Owner of a YM165 #136  
Back to the original question, I would just cut up a tin can and make shims (or find thinner material if needed) and put the tractor back in service. That design with a single cinch bolt was sufficient for whatever the original application was. I don't see a need to be a perfectionist and upgrade it to original Yanmar specs.

Just include checking the cinch bolt in your routine maintenance.

/ New Owner of a YM165
Back to the original question, I would just cut up a tin can and make shims (or find thinner material if needed) and put the tractor back in service. That design with a single cinch bolt was sufficient for whatever the original application was. I don't see a need to be a perfectionist and upgrade it to original Yanmar specs.

Just include checking the cinch bolt in your routine maintenance.

Thanks, Cali. Tin can is a good idea. I was looking around my shop to see what kind of metal sheeting I had and was coming up short. My ideas right now are 1) shim it really tight, or 2) drill a hole in the hub and thread it and add another cinch bolt. We shall see.

/ New Owner of a YM165 #138  
Exactly what is the problem? Are you saying the hub is loose, or you just don't like the gap? A slight gap should be no problem at 4-5 mph. BTW, Hoye's rear axle hub is sold as a YM165 part, so it should fit a stock rim.

/ New Owner of a YM165 #139  
Exactly what is the problem? Are you saying the hub is loose, or you just don't like the gap? A slight gap should be no problem at 4-5 mph. BTW, Hoye's rear axle hub is sold as a YM165 part, so it should fit a stock rim.
I think the conclusion is its not a Yanmar hub so it probably doesn't fix as it should. Just because they slid over the axle doesn't mean the inside dimension is right. The one he's using now has 1 cinch bolt and a thru hole where as the Yanmar hub uses 2 cinch bolts and a thur hole.

Also there's the question of weather the bolt patterns for the rims are the same on the one he has veris a factory Yanmar hub.

Last edited:
   / New Owner of a YM165

Yes. The problem is that the hub is too loose. There is too much slop between the hub and the axle shaft. I can physically rock the hub back and forth with my hands when the cinch bolt is tightened very tight and the through-bolt is tightened.

Last night I tried to shim the hub with some sheet metal. Did not worked as I had hoped. Later this week I am going to drill and tap a new hole and add a second cinch bolt.