New Owner - tire, chain, scraper questions

/ New Owner - tire, chain, scraper questions #11  
I think tires have a lot to do with dirt type and snow type. I can tell you for a fact where I live turfs would not cut it. Our snow is very wet and sticky. R4's are not much better than turfs because they just load up and turn to slicks. Same thing with our dirt. There is no rock, just sticky top soil with no sand or loom then 4" down even sticker clay. The only choice is R1's unless you are talking a 20,000# piece of equipment. Chains if its ice on any tire still rules the roost.

Chris
I have 4WD and R1 and still got stuck pulling trailer with wood back to the woos pile. Chains will make a big help but as pointed out will dig faster during wheel spin. Going to R1 will do more damage during mowing:(. BTW used an 8N(vintage 2WD tractor) on a 200' driveway w/ 10% average slope with a rear blade no chains for years. with the wet snow weight added to the blade helps:). Didn't mess with ice sleet etc with no FEL. Hope this helps

/ New Owner - tire, chain, scraper questions #12  
I have 4WD and R1 and still got stuck pulling trailer with wood back to the woos pile. Chains will make a big help but as pointed out will dig faster during wheel spin. Going to R1 will do more damage during mowing:(. BTW used an 8N(vintage 2WD tractor) on a 200' driveway w/ 10% average slope with a rear blade no chains for years. with the wet snow weight added to the blade helps:). Didn't mess with ice sleet etc with no FEL. Hope this helps

I have only gotten my tractor stuck 1 time digging a grave for a horse with the FEL. I have 600 plus hours on this tractor and we have had as much as 27" of snow on the ground at 1 time in a 24 hour period. I have a 28HP tractor with the tires loaded, rear wheel weights, 4 front suitcase weights, and a FEL. It weighs about 5,200# with the snow plow on it and 7' rear grader blade.

I mow with this rig also using a 6' Caroni RFM. It does not harm the turfs one bit. Just do not go in when wet plus my tractor will go places my neighbors could not even think of using turfs and R4's. I get called to plow my neighbors 1/2 mile of drive because his JD 35ish HP tractor with R4's can not do it.

Here is a picture of my rig but I still had the mower on the back. Also a picture of my last big snow which was 18". I can plow my 280' long drive in about 15 minutes tops.

Chris

Attachments

• tractor1.jpg
    tractor1.jpg
    840.9 KB · Views: 167
  • snow1.jpg
    snow1.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 119
  • snow2.jpg
    snow2.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 112
   / New Owner - tire, chain, scraper questions #13  
Good set of ladder chains with crosses at every 3rd link (usually they are at every 5).
Makes for a nice smooth ride and does not 'slip grab' as there is always one link in contact with the ground.
Optional (and more $$) would be ice grippers, either V bars or welded studs with latter mor costly. The welded studded types are hadened and great for asphalt and other high wear surfaces.

Turfs are easier to chain while R1's and R4's more difficult due to the deep treads.

So; keep your turfs and invest in chains and use the saved $$ to buy another piece of equipment!

Have fun!, er don't work to hard.

/ New Owner - tire, chain, scraper questions #14  
Ditto on keeping the turfs and using chains.
You'll need chains for snow and ice anyway and these go onto turfs easier and should give a better bite with them too.
Good logging chains might be best in the woods but are hard to find for CUT size tires and they are very, very expensive.
Go for 2-link chains, one cross chain every two side links for best cost versus traction.

/ New Owner - tire, chain, scraper questions #15  
I think tires have a lot to do with dirt type and snow type. I can tell you for a fact where I live turfs would not cut it. Our snow is very wet and sticky. R4's are not much better than turfs because they just load up and turn to slicks. Same thing with our dirt. There is no rock, just sticky top soil with no sand or loom then 4" down even sticker clay. The only choice is R1's unless you are talking a 20,000# piece of equipment. Chains if its ice on any tire still rules the roost.

Chris

Absolutely correct on this one Chris. Types of soil and weight of equipment along how you are using attachments all paint the picture differently. The op is looking for quite the spread in versatility and his cutting I think is for his lawn. If that's the case, turfs with chains should cover his needs quite nicely. Love the pics by the way. Is that the Northern Products tractor? What size rear tires came with this?

/ New Owner - tire, chain, scraper questions #16  
Absolutely correct on this one Chris. Types of soil and weight of equipment along how you are using attachments all paint the picture differently. The op is looking for quite the spread in versatility and his cutting I think is for his lawn. If that's the case, turfs with chains should cover his needs quite nicely. Love the pics by the way. Is that the Northern Products tractor? What size rear tires came with this?

Yes and no. All these Chinese tractors are made by 3 or so big companies. Jinma is the largest and most popular. That is what Northern's tractors are and that is what mine is. Mine is a 2003 rated at 25HP but I put it on a pto dyno and it turned 31. Its very strong. I also have a Ford 861 gas that is 45 HP but 2 wheel drive and this Jinma will out work it any day. So far I have had good luck. Getting close to 700 hours and only replaced the starter and the thermostat due to failure.

Chris

/ New Owner - tire, chain, scraper questions #17  

I forgot to answer you last question. It has 9.5x24 ags on the rear and 6x16 ags on the front.

Chris

/ New Owner - tire, chain, scraper questions #18  
I run chains on my small JD318 year round. Obviously my country lawn isn't a golf green.:D In the winter the tractor comes home for snowblower use. I've found this site helpful if you go the chain route: Tire Chains by TireChains.com

/ New Owner - tire, chain, scraper questions #19  
I live in the western new york area and own a John Deere 4510 and use it all year around. One of the things that I found is that it is a little "light" and wants to slide while mowing on the side hills and around my pond. After moving the tires to the outside position, it offered a lot more stability. I run R series industrial tires all around with chains only on the back. Chains will grab just about anything but you need a little "give" when running 4WD in the woods to haul out logs for fire wood. I live on a south facing hillside and plow about 750ft of gravel drive way, the chains help a great deal down at the roadway when the road and driveway ice up, my JD1010 2 WD tractor with no chains , does nothing more than polish the pavement once it ices up. I suspect your turf tires will have the same problem. One thing to check though, make sure that there is enought clearance between inside of the fender well and the tire. I run field chains and it is pretty close to the fender well. I am not a fan of cc filled tires, only because of what I have seen the damage done with the inevitable leaks. As far as using a "scraper" to plow out your drive way, I am not sure if you are referring to a scraper blade or a box style scraper. The scraper blade is the least expensive way to go, but you will find it of limited use without any down pressure or weight. If you haven't bought the blade yet, you might consider purchasing a box style scraper. The box style weighs more and is a lot more versatile and costs only couple of hundred dollars more. I use my box style scraper most of the year, putting a 6 ft 2 stage blower on for the winter. I find the box scraper most usefull when hauling logs out of the woods, instead of dragging the logs with the drawbar . I have chain hooks welded onto the bar that runs from side to side, this allows you to chain hook the logs to the bar arnd transfer the weight of the log end to rear wheels with the 3pt hitch. It also keeps most of the log from picking up the rocks and mud that destroy the chainsaw chain. I have had 2each 18" dia. by 40 ft ash logs hanging off of the box scraper and pull very nicely over 1000Ft out of the woods. One thing I might suggest for plowing snow, find a old snowplow blade , usually a $100 by the roadside, and attach it to your front bucket. If you don't have the bucket, you will need to fabricate a frame to attach it to your tractor. I only mention it because I got bad crick in my neck , turned around watching where the blade goes when you are plowing snow. Sorry about being long winded, hope the suggestions help.