New Owner

/ New Owner
Thanks for the reply's, I was doing some work with the FEL and I noticed, that I can not use both levers at the same time, meaning when raising the FEL, the bucket will not tilt, or tilting the bucket the arms with not raise or lower. Is this typical of older FEL or is their plumbing issue?

/ New Owner #13  
hawghead said:
Thanks for the reply's, I was doing some work with the FEL and I noticed, that I can not use both levers at the same time, meaning when raising the FEL, the bucket will not tilt, or tilting the bucket the arms with not raise or lower. Is this typical of older FEL or is their plumbing issue?

I don't really know on that model, but I'd guess it's normal. On my Kubotas, with the joystick, the manual shows to not raise the boom or arms at the same time as you curl (tilt back) the bucket. The reason is that both functions require hydraulic pressure from the pump and you are opening both valves simultaneously. When you do that, the one that requires the least amount of pressure will be the one that works. Now when that one reaches the limits of its travel, the other one will start to work. But you can raise or lower the arms while simultaneously dumping the bucket, and you can curl the bucket while lowering the arms.

/ New Owner #14  
herringchoker said:
I'll jump in here too. I had a Ford 4500 backhoe/loader for 17 years. It had 2 levers for the loader and 4 for the backhoe. Once you master the multi levers (and it only takes a little practice), you can do anything that you can do with a joystick, and just as smoothly. My B7800 has a joystick for the loader, and I've adjusted to it, but it doesn't do anything more than the old multi levers did.

Ditto that.. my hand can span both levers easilly.. and do the dump/curl and lift/drop...

soundguy

/ New Owner #15  
hawghead said:

Depends on how your valve is plumbed. My old ford valves let you dump/curl, AND raise/lower the bucket at the same time... Heck.. you can even lift the 3pt as well.. the only hitch is that the pump is 4gpm and that is the limiting factor.. if more than one valve is open at a time.. you are spliting the flow ...

Soundguy

/ New Owner
I guess it is operating the way it supposed to, I am just used to operating more modern equipment with joysticks and Hydro trans. I just got to get used to a manual trans & two lever controls. I only have about an hour seat time on this tractor. I can not tell you how many times, I wanted to go forward and I was in reverse and vise versa. Their is a lot going on with shifting gears, clutch, working FEL, foot throttle etc.

/ New Owner #17  
hawghead said:
I guess it is operating the way it supposed to, I am just used to operating more modern equipment with joysticks and Hydro trans. I just got to get used to a manual trans & two lever controls. I only have about an hour seat time on this tractor. I can not tell you how many times, I wanted to go forward and I was in reverse and vise versa. Their is a lot going on with shifting gears, clutch, working FEL, foot throttle etc.

Now you are learning what an "operator" does. Anyone can "drive" one of them new fangled automatics.:D :cool:

/ New Owner #18  
I am an old fellow who is/was considering switching to a joy stick from a 2 lever system...after being on this site for less than 10 minutes I'm reconsidering my options... I'll do a little more reading but maybe the two lever system isn't such a bad thing after all.

/ New Owner #19  
I am an old fellow who is/was considering switching to a joy stick from a 2 lever system...after being on this site for less than 10 minutes I'm reconsidering my options... I'll do a little more reading but maybe the two lever system isn't such a bad thing after all.

I dunno, I ran a JD750 with a two-lever system for 27 years and I LOVE the joystick on my new Kubota.

/ New Owner #20  
Joy sticks are fairly new to me. Really like the loader stick over the two lever. On the backhoe, I'm still trying to push non-existent foot pedals to swing the boom and miss the single function levers. . . .