New privacy fenced installed today. Easiest way to stain??

/ New privacy fenced installed today. Easiest way to stain?? #21  
:laughing::laughing:Harv, we bought a new house in 1977, moved in on July 4, and shortly thereafter had a western red cedar fence built. It was beautiful . . . for a little while, and then it was just gray like other fences in the neighborhood. Now for those who like gray, that's a way to save yourself some work and money, so maybe your're smarter than me. but I don't like that appearance. When I bought this place, the gate and short fence on the north side of the house was just old weathered gray. Now it's not what I would use again, but the first picture is what it looks like after the second time I sprayed it with the old original Thompson's Water Seal, Rustic Red. The short fence on the south side of the house, second picture, is the same. The gate on the south side, third picture, had been painted but was peeling, so I bought Behr exterior latex paint tinted as close as I could get to the Rustic Red Thompson's and applied it with a brush.

I don't know how old these are, just that they were old faded gray 5 years ago, so to my eye they look better now than they did then, but I know they ain't gonna be in competition with fences you've built.:laughing:

Attachments

• Fall 2009 011.JPG
    Fall 2009 011.JPG
    378.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Fall 2009 014.JPG
    Fall 2009 014.JPG
    325.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Fall 2009 012.JPG
    Fall 2009 012.JPG
    316.9 KB · Views: 70
   / New privacy fenced installed today. Easiest way to stain?? #22  
A solid stain of your choice with mildew preventive added. Should get the fence done as soon as it dries. The UV rays are already working to break down the wood. A nasty natural fence is ugly, but can be brought back to new by pressure washing, and then stained. You will be glad you did. I would use an airless sprayer with a wide nozzle. Be careful of the neighbors side if it is your fence. He might have something over their that doesn't need your stain, and spray on a calm day.