New Sawmill & Tajfun Winch

/ New Sawmill & Tajfun Winch #1  

damartin

Tractor
John Deere 790
I introduced myself here about a month ago and asked if my tractor could handle a 7 ft. finish mower. It does, I got a used 7 ft king cutter and it works well. Thanks for the info.
I have since got a Timber King Sawmill and have cut up a bunch of Hemlock trees for lumber to build an implement shed. The Hemlocks are dying because of the hemlock woolly adelgid, a pest that lives under the bark. It looks to me that I am going to loose all of the Hemlocks on the 92 acres that I have for hunting about 2 hours from my home. There are other people intrested in boards for barn siding and I wont let the trees go to waste. There is also alot of mature hardwood (mostly Red Oak) that I was going to have timbered but now I can cut them up myself and have a hobby that should last serveral years. The sawmill will be a handy thing to have around.
I also got a new model 40A Tajfun winch and am amazed at how much power it has. I needed to remove an old black walnut tree and I wanted to save the root ball to see if I could get some gun stock blanks out of it (the stump needed to come out to make room for the impliment shed anyway). I didnt really think that the winch would pull it down but I hooked the cable up high was suprised to see that it pulled the tree right out of the ground. It wasn't easy and it lifted the front end of the tractor a few times but it did the job.
I am adding a few pictures of the Hemlocks, an oak that I cut and the Black Walnut that I winched out.

Attachments

• Sawmill Small.JPG
    Sawmill Small.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 807
  • Winch Tree Small.JPG
    Winch Tree Small.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 509
  • Tree Winch Small.JPG
    Tree Winch Small.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 668
  • Hemlock Small.JPG
    Hemlock Small.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 347
  • Oak Small.JPG
    Oak Small.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 567
  • Logs Small.JPG
    Logs Small.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 399
   / New Sawmill & Tajfun Winch #2  
Nice operation you have there and thanks for posting pictures...

What does a portable mill like that run... ball park?

Must be very satisfying to harvest and mill your own lumber.

On my Grandfather's farm there were remnants of a small mill down by the creek... really nothing left anymore... I can only imaging felling and dragging timber with oxen...

/ New Sawmill & Tajfun Winch #3  
It really looks like you are set up to go into the lumbering business. :D

Is that a screen on the back of the tractor to catch flying objects?:D

/ New Sawmill & Tajfun Winch #4  
A similar problem to the Hemlock is occuring here in Maryland. There is emerald ash beetle that is killing all the Ash trees. They killed both of mine. These are all imported pests.

Be careful cutting that Wanut. It being out in the open it is likely to have nails, staples and/or bullets in it. most commercial saw mills wont accept trees from the edge of a field.

/ New Sawmill & Tajfun Winch #5  
The hemlock woolly adelgid and emerald ash beetles are big worrys for us here too. A forester said that if all the hemolocks go it will raise the temp of our trout streams and the trout will not make it. Plus we have huge plantations of ash near us that are used in baseball bat production.

/ New Sawmill & Tajfun Winch
Ultrarunner
The mill is a 2002 Timber King that cost about 17,000, no new car this year.
Yes it is very satisfying to cut the trees and make the lumber for a building that I need, it is also nice to get some good excersise doing something that I enjoy. The dead trees would go to waste if I didn't use the lumber so that is why I got the mill to begin with.

Egon
I have sold about 700 board ft. for barn siding and hopefully will sell some more. I hope that the screen isn't ever needed but I am glad that it came with the winch, just in case.

Psj12
I alse have alot of ash and I guess if needed I can cut that up too. That walnut has alot of bullets in it as it was situated perfectly for 100 yard shots when sighting in many rifles and I knew at that time I wasn't going to keep the tree. I know where most of the bullets are and I have an automatic band saw sharpener and plenty of spare blades if needed. Good observation.

/ New Sawmill & Tajfun Winch #7  
Great shots! Might check out the forestry forum for milling advice.

/ New Sawmill & Tajfun Winch
What forestry forum?

/ New Sawmill & Tajfun Winch #10  
Nice mill, it looks like it's in excellent condition. That's a great winch too - I've been wanting a Tajfun for some time now.

The lead in bullets is soft enough that you shouldn't have any problems cutting through them. Nails are a different story, however.

Do you have forks for your loader? They really work well for moving logs and lumber around.

It sounds like you have a lot of fun cutting ahead of you - enjoy!

- Marty