New skill to learn.

/ New skill to learn. #31  
Looks like the same company my father got his from 15 years ago, which is now sitting in several pieces in my garage waiting for me to finish the basement before setting it up. Requires adding a 220 line to it though.

/ New skill to learn. #32  
New toy on it's way. Ordered this lathe, and stand. The stand won't be available for pickup until April 16th. Either the Long Shore men's slow down has them stuck on the dock:rolleyes:. Or those Asian kids are getting unionized!:D I've never run a lathe before. Installed several over the years, but never run one. Should be fun to learn how.:cool2:
Grizzly.comョ --
Grizzly.comョ --

I'm jealous, too. Nice! :thumbsup:

I've wanted a lathe for a long time. Just missed a used South Bend lathe at an auction last week. I'll keep looking.

/ New skill to learn. #33  
I'm jealous, too. Nice! :thumbsup: I've wanted a lathe for a long time. Just missed a used South Bend lathe at an auction last week. I'll keep looking.

Definitely keep looking. I sold my little South Bend 15 years ago to be able to afford my bigger one. Really regret selling it......

Terry

/ New skill to learn. #34  
Several years ago, after getting fedup with a local machinist, I bought a 14x24 Monarch. Sometimes i love it and sometimes i think its more trouble than its worth. Anytime I get to thinking its just taking up space in the shop, I think about the reason I bought it and just smile everytime i take a dollar out of the local machine shops pocket and save it in mine. I would say my lathe has saved me the purchase price I paid for it, just in my personal projects. I occassionally will make a pin or bushing for some of my equipment owning buddies. Mostly it just sits in the corner and takes up space.

/ New skill to learn. #35  
Several years ago, after getting fedup with a local machinist, I bought a 14x24 Monarch. Sometimes i love it and sometimes i think its more trouble than its worth. Anytime I get to thinking its just taking up space in the shop, I think about the reason I bought it and just smile everytime i take a dollar out of the local machine shops pocket and save it in mine. I would say my lathe has saved me the purchase price I paid for it, just in my personal projects. I occassionally will make a pin or bushing for some of my equipment owning buddies. Mostly it just sits in the corner and takes up space.

I on the other hand had a wonderful machinist. A retired guy with a basement FULL of machines. A certifiable rocket scientist/ genius. His wife would always insist I sit down and have cookies and tea with them.

Sadly he passed away years ago. I wish I had taken the time to pay more attention....:(

Terry

/ New skill to learn. #36  
Be sure to wipe all if the slobbers off of it. (some of it will be mine) One day I will have my own but for now all I can do Is slobber on other folks lathes. Enjoy and be sure to tell us how much you like it so we can slobber some more.:eek:die:

/ New skill to learn. #37  
New toy on it's way. Ordered this lathe, and stand. The stand won't be available for pickup until April 16th. Either the Long Shore men's slow down has them stuck on the dock:rolleyes:. Or those Asian kids are getting unionized!:D I've never run a lathe before. Installed several over the years, but never run one. Should be fun to learn how.:cool2:
Grizzly.com® --
Grizzly.com® --

Great little lathe. Best brand and good size for learning. Doesn't matter if you NEED one or not, you'll have a blast just learning about them. yeah - I'm jealous. Been thinking about one of those cheapie's from HF. But a Grizzly? Cadillac of lathes. That'd be my choice.

My last one was one with the name written in Chinese... poor quality, but for my skill level, that didn't matter. Many hours of fun just chopping up metal. Oh - and ash trays :) Got gobs of those made from pistons. Favorite learning exercise... Should have never sold it.

/ New skill to learn. #38  
Great little lathe. Best brand and good size for learning. Doesn't matter if you NEED one or not, you'll have a blast just learning about them. yeah - I'm jealous. Been thinking about one of those cheapie's from HF. But a Grizzly? Cadillac of lathes. That'd be my choice.

My last one was one with the name written in Chinese... poor quality, but for my skill level, that didn't matter. Many hours of fun just chopping up metal. Oh - and ash trays :) Got gobs of those made from pistons. Favorite learning exercise... Should have never sold it.
Full disclosure... never owned or operated for that matter, a metal lathe. But I surely didn't realize or expect that Grizzly was the Cadillac of lathes! I don't know much about Grizzly metalworking tools, but my limited knowledge is that they are Chinese made (not necessarily a bad thing and I am on business in China as we speak) and a great value for the buck. I don't know about being the 'Cadillac' and I am not really impressed with Cadillacs these days anyways. :laughing: However for serious hobbyist work, I don't have any doubts that is it a great choice. Shield Arc... I am looking forward to coming by again and learning a new tool!

/ New skill to learn. #39  
... I surely didn't realize or expect that Grizzly was the Cadillac of lathes! I don't know much about Grizzly metalworking tools, but my limited knowledge is that they are Chinese made (not necessarily a bad thing and I am on business in China as we speak) and a great value for the buck. ...

Let's say that Grizzly is the Cadillac of companies to buy a Chinese machine from. China was making small (bench-top. etc) machines decades ago when Taiwan was subcontracting for Jet & others with very good stuff ('flaked ways included', etc). Quality of these usually represents the demands/specs of the brand/reseller vs what they 'could be'. (sound familiar?)

Many Asian factories are now producing various castings or components to basically the same 'pattern(s)' as they have been for years. Example: I have two newer Gs (mill, lathe), an '80s Jet (mill) and a HFT lathe (G4003 equiv). Parts interchangeability is usually a matter of checking fit/tolerance, not unlike some 'drop-in' firearm upgrades. (stocks, triggers, etc) HFT, Jet, and Grizzly manuals (ex: 12 x 36 lathe) are far more different than the bits holding 'em together ('pattern' & then some) & my HFT lathe wears a few Grizzly parts now.

credentials: A Toolmaker's J-card proves little more than that I drew a paycheck as one, but I insist that a good mechanic can do better with the least of hardware than an untrained/unskilled operator can with the finest of gear. (sub .001" tolerance not required, ... welders may agree, ... is 'working' land all that different?). 4 of my 5 machines are Asian but all the work I do on them is 'Made in USA'. tog

/ New skill to learn. #40  
I would love to have that lathe. I will say this, I have had a Grizzly cast iron 10 inch table saw for many years and of course it is Chinese, but I believe it to be a first rate saw. I have been very pleased with its performance.