New Splitfire 3403 3pt Log Splitter has arrived with 4way and 2way knives

/ New Splitfire 3403 3pt Log Splitter has arrived with 4way and 2way knives
Spent just under 4 hours splitting wood today the pile shown here took 2 hours 10 minutes mostly ash 8 -16" diameter

ForumRunner_20131115_185257.jpg

Then we moved to our next stack of wood
Some descent sized oak that blew over in the spring this is when the fun started.
70 some feet of tree ranging from 32" - 20 diameter. Needless to say the log lift was worth the cost its a great way to lift 200 + lb logs and then you have a table to put the big pieces while you knock them down into manageable sized ones. Having used several spliters where the wedge is fixed i definitely appreciate having the wedge being driven on this big stuff.

For reference the wedge is 9.5" tall.

ForumRunner_20131115_190649.jpg

Not all the pieces split this well some of the oak had really twisted grain with knots and required working from an edge

Update:
I bought a Quick hitch for my tractor earlier this year and decided i needed to convert this to a cat 2 Quick Hitch compatible device.
as i mentioned in post 69 on this thread on bent up the hitch on this earlier after nailing a chuck hole at almost 20 mph. rather than straighten it at the time i just gusseted it and fixed the top link attachment to be clevis style. Although i had to change it because it would not work with the QH Spacing to the vertical post was to close. I've split about 30 cord or 90 face cord with the splitter and found the first defect the Prince spool valve must have a leaking seal as its started to leak from the back of the valve out the cover. Looks like a seal kit is about $7.00 i need to order one.

Than angle iron in the picture is a piece of filler as that side was out by close to 0.5"
20140607_182346-vi.jpg

Neighbors Thermal Arc lays a pretty nice bead
20140607_182357-vi.jpg

Now to find some time to clean it up and spray it with the quart of kubota acrylic bright orange II i bought a while ago
20140607_183303-vi.jpg

/ New Splitfire 3403 3pt Log Splitter has arrived with 4way and 2way knives #73  
Looks like it should be quite a bit stronger now!

Looks like it should be quite a bit stronger now!

Thanks I sure hope so. It definitely attaches about 10 times faster than before. Hopefully i'll never have to weld on the hitch

/ New Splitfire 3403 3pt Log Splitter has arrived with 4way and 2way knives #75  
Possibly a dumb question, but why the 2" receiver? Seems like it'd weigh too much to hang off a 2" unless you have a wheel or two on the end.

Good question I have no intention of putting it in a hitch originally had planed to use that in a vertical orientation. And not weld directly to the splitter that idea didn't pan out. Eventually I will build a shield to protect the hydraulic lines on the back of the cylinder.
Long term plan is to build a trailer and put an 11hp engine and pump on it so I can detach it from the tractor. One 600 hour oil change on the tractor buys a commercial 11 hp honda motor.

/ New Splitfire 3403 3pt Log Splitter has arrived with 4way and 2way knives #77  
Nice Job Dave! The quick hitch definitely makes life a lot easier!

/ New Splitfire 3403 3pt Log Splitter has arrived with 4way and 2way knives #78  
Dave, Can you split anything with this splitter? I have been thinking about maybe getting a splitter. I'm concerned about the 3.5'' cylinder. Most gas ones have a 4'' or larger.

Dave, Can you split anything with this splitter? I have been thinking about maybe getting a splitter. I'm concerned about the 3.5'' cylinder. Most gas ones have a 4'' or larger.

Hey Roger,
I can usually split anything I through at it thats 22-24 inch diameter or less without any trouble at all. As in split the logs in half. I have never used anything other than the 4 way wedge. Occasionally I have to use the forward stroke if its knotty for the first split in the larger size range mentioned.

I can split really big stuff with realtive ease and a strategy
The stump piece of cherry in this picture was over 36" on the large axis and close to 30" the other. The grain was very twisted due to the fact tree split into 4 shoots. I just worked it from a corner taking big chunks off untill it was all split down Into manageable sizes. I could not split it in half at first. The biggest problem with hunks this size is the fact that the rounds weigh 400 - 500 lbs. The lift has no problem lifting them.
ForumRunner_20140912_222102.jpg

My rear hydraulic outlets relief is set a little over 2900 psi. I have no regrets about the smaller model it will split anything I have and is much faster than the larger cylinder model. I'm only generating 14 tons of force on the push stroke. Which splitfire claims is equivalent to 22 tons on a conventional splitter due to their unique design and reduced friction
The pull stroke has much less force available but will normally split straight grained knot free 20 plus inch without incident

How much hydraulic pressure do you have available or are you going to go gas if you go the gas route special order the 9hp model and high flow hydraulics. You'll end up with a stroke time of between 4-5 seconds each way

Also if you plan on spliting longer than 16" order a longer model. The 24" model is 33" between the wedges meaning I can fit two 16" pieces on the spliter. Usually I never have reverse stroke to clear the split wood

/ New Splitfire 3403 3pt Log Splitter has arrived with 4way and 2way knives #80  
Hey Roger,
I can usually split anything I through at it thats 22-24 inch diameter or less without any trouble at all. As in split the logs in half. I have never used anything other than the 4 way wedge. Occasionally I have to use the forward stroke if its knotty for the first split in the larger size range mentioned.

I can split really big stuff with realtive ease and a strategy
The stump piece of cherry in this picture was over 36" on the large axis and close to 30" the other. The grain was very twisted due to the fact tree split into 4 shoots. I just worked it from a corner taking big chunks off untill it was all split down Into manageable sizes. I could not split it in half at first. The biggest problem with hunks this size is the fact that the rounds weigh 400 - 500 lbs. The lift has no problem lifting them.
View attachment 390217

My rear hydraulic outlets relief is set a little over 2900 psi. I have no regrets about the smaller model it will split anything I have and is much faster than the larger cylinder model. I'm only generating 14 tons of force on the push stroke. Which splitfire claims is equivalent to 22 tons on a conventional splitter due to their unique design and reduced friction
The pull stroke has much less force available but will normally split straight grained knot free 20 plus inch without incident

How much hydraulic pressure do you have available or are you going to go gas if you go the gas route special order the 9hp model and high flow hydraulics. You'll end up with a stroke time of between 4-5 seconds each way

Also if you plan on spliting longer than 16" order a longer model. The 24" model is 33" between the wedges meaning I can fit two 16" pieces on the spliter. Usually I never have reverse stroke to clear the split wood

Thanks for the reply. PM sent.