New String Trimmer?

/ New String Trimmer? #12  
I'll likely be getting new trimmer... the Ryobi 18v works for my wife, but my patience wears thin and the lithium ion battery won't last for the whole yard (which my wife is ok with because she doesn't either). We had a McCullough for over 20 years, but it finally seems to be wore out and wife wanted something with battery so she didn't have to mess with starting and mixing gas..

/ New String Trimmer? #13  
Another vote for a Stihl straight shaft. I've had a FS55 or 56 (can't remember) for 17 years. I had to put a new carb on it two years ago but that has been it for maintenance. No issues with the bump feed head like others have said.

OP check EBay for an aftermarket carb. I got one for less than $30 and it works great. It even has all three adjustment screws which I believe have been EPA banned so you don't accidentally run it too rich.

/ New String Trimmer? #14  
Echo fan here. I have a 10+ year old straight shaft gas trimmer (21CC?) that has been nothing but reliable. It always starts easy, runs great and I have never opened or fixed anything except an empty fuel tank and a string re-wind every so often. It has the original bump-n-feed head that still works great. I also have their blower and a gas hedge trimmer too. These are all Home Depot versions that have served me very well. I run 91 octane with Amsoil or have recently started using TruFuel that runs very well in all my equipment and smells great (like race gas) too!! I have shopped around and almost bought a Stihl but I just can't let go of what I have cuz it works. I would like a bigger trimmer/brush cutter so that may be next and then just keep old reliable as the line trimmer she is.

Good luck with your decision, keep us posted.

/ New String Trimmer? #15  
My Stihl is fifteen or sixteen years old and started second pull after sitting six months. I don't know if any of the new ones, of any brand, will give the same service with the pollution junk on them.

/ New String Trimmer? #16  
I have 5 or 6 Echos, a couple of them are simple smaller straight shaft trimmers and the others are split shaft units that we use with various other attachments. The smaller ones are easier to pull start because the motors are quite a bit smaller then the split shaft ones, but ..having the ability to add usability to the splits is a huge benefit. Tough call. If all you will ever need it for is a trimmer, .. a decent Echo cam certainly be had in the 200-250 range. A split shaft power head would be more.

/ New String Trimmer? #17  
I have a 15 year old Honda HHT25 that was a bit tough to start when I first got it.. now it is pump primer until carb is full and it starts first pull. I put a Speedfeed head on it to make loading the string easier and it bump feeds reliably and repeatably, MUCH better than the stock Honda head that came with it. I also have a saw blade I put on it for cutting brush, it will cut up to 2" in diameter with no issues. Being a 4 stroke engine, it is a little heavier than the 2 stroke machines, but I like not having to worry about mixing fuel & oil and dealing with those hassles. And it just sips fuel, a full tank is good for about 4 hrs of trimming... certainly longer than I want to trim for!! In real heavy grass I wish I had stepped up to the HHT35, but that is a still heavier machine and I don't miss the extra power often enough to worry about it.

/ New String Trimmer? #18  
Whatever one you wind up with, do yourself a favor and try one of these - Trimmer Shoulder Strap Harness Net Bag For STIHL HUSQVARNA ECHO #411971:eek:1 | eBay

There's many other similar ones available including Stihl and Husky-branded ones for 3 times as much. The important things are the full harness and the "hip pad".

If you use a trimmer for more than just a few minutes, your back and shoulders will REALLY thank you.

/ New String Trimmer?
Thank you so much everyone; your comments are very helpful. I will read and consider each of them.

Dennis

/ New String Trimmer? #20  
My 1988 Homelight ST-275 is still running fine but if it ever dies I'm going to consider one of the new cordless units.