new sub-compact 4wd?

/ new sub-compact 4wd? #1  

Anonymous Poster

After kicking around several message boards, there has been some talk of JD coming out with a tractor to compete with the Kubota BX. It's supposed to be like the 455, but a little longer, heavier, and with 4wd. Anybody hear anything on this? I'm waiting and hoping that this is true before I look at something else.

/ new sub-compact 4wd? #3  
Prosperity,

Before you go looking at a sub-compact, you should try out the New Holland TC18, a full fledged compact with way more ability than the sub-compacts for about the same money.

Good Luck, I expect that New Holland will also come out with a sub-compact since Kubota seems to have found a market for their BX's.

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ new sub-compact 4wd? #5  
JimBinMI,
Thanks for the insight. I don't live in farm country, and are pretty much limmited to John Deere, MTD (cub cadet), and Kubota Dealers. New Holland never even crossed my mind. I'll have to do a search for the closest dealer, and take a road trip. I want to do as much research as possible being that this machine will likely have to last me the rest of my life.

/ new sub-compact 4wd? #6  
What type of work do you need to do, and what implements are you anticipating purchasing along with the tractor? Like Jim, I have one of the smallest "full size" compacts (Kubota B1700 HST), and would be more than happy to share my opinion on the usefulness of that machine for your needs once I know what your needs are.

/ new sub-compact 4wd? #8  
PaulB -
Primary uses are mowing (about 3-4 acres), and snow removal. So, I'm looking at a 54" or 60" belly mower, and a fully hydraulic front blade. I might consider a loader later, but can't think of much use for one. Some friends have told me that once you get a loader, you wonder how you ever survived without it.

/ new sub-compact 4wd? #9  
Well then in my opinion your ideal machine is the Kubota BX, and you need look no further. As for the front loader, I have one and sure it is nice, but it did add $3000 to my initial purchase, and I bet you could do a lot with a rear mounted scoop which you can get at TSC for under $300

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by PaulB on 8/4/00 09:02 AM.</FONT></P>

/ new sub-compact 4wd? #10  
I agree with Paul that the BX will provide for your needs now, and is a very capable machine. But, I can also see why you would wait. Better to have choices and competition. On the other side of the fence, the BX came out in Asia and Europe before North America. Time to get the bugs out of the design. Keep in mind that the JD sub-compact (if it happens) will the first year for a new tractor line. That is a lot a faith in any manufacturer. Also. Check out the NH TC's. Look at them all.