New Terramite Forum

/ New Terramite Forum #11  
Don't worry about burning some oil in a small engine. The main thing is to keep the oil between add and full. Complete oil changes. I always change oil filters when I change the oil. I hate to put new oil through a dirty filter.

/ New Terramite Forum #12  
Ok a dumb question - bit afraid to ask :O/ So over about 10 hours of operation I burn most of a quart of oil. As I continue to put fresh oil in my oil does not really show dirty, so I have not per sey Changed my oil but just change out my oil filter, am I way out of line here. Be kind now

/ New Terramite Forum #13  
Thanks Steve, U have any feel for a comparsion between the Kohler and the Honda? Is the extra 4 hp as significant as it sounds when you are only talking about a 20 hp engine its almost an added 20%.

Sorry I do not have any experience with the larger honda engines. Just the smaller horsepower ones in my generator and power washer, and go cart. All the honda engines that I have have been bullet proof so far. I'm sure the larger displacement honda engines are just as reliable. I have had several kohler motors as well and have had good luck with them as well. I dont think you can go wrong with either of them really.

/ New Terramite Forum #14  
Hey Steve, so any idea why a 20 hp Honda was put in when Kohler is a 24?

/ New Terramite Forum #15  
Hey Steve, so any idea why a 20 hp Honda was put in when Kohler is a 24?

I have a 2000 terramite T5D. It has a kohler 20 horse engine in it. I think the kohler 20 is there standard engine. Some come with briggs & Stratton and also Honda engines. Not sure why all the different engine manufacturers are used. The kohler 20 that I have seems to provide plenty of power for the machine. The only thing that I dont like about the kohler engine is that it is very thirsty and likes to drink gas. My motor is tuned well and starts very well and I allways keep a clean air filter on it, but it still likes it's gas. Other than that one complaint the kohler has been a Great engine.

/ New Terramite Forum #16  
Beings I am quite new to this whole thing guess I am a bit like a 5 year old (why dad?). So in about 8 hours of operation I will burn a 6 gallon tank, which seems reasonable to me for a 20 horse, because I am running it hard not at an idle like I might be trolling along in my 30 hp boat motor. Which would consume half. Is this similar to the Kohler?

/ New Terramite Forum #17  
I would assume that the two 20 horse engines would be comparable in fuel cosumtion.

/ New Terramite Forum #18  
I know your thought is the engine consumes that much oil you are adding fresh oil that this is changing the oil. My thought is you can have contamnants left in the crankcase. I'm far from an engine expert but I guess I'm some kind of nut on changing oil and lubricating my equipment. If you live in a hot climate you might try a heavier oil.

/ New Terramite Forum #19  
I feel your logic is very solid, I have wrestled a bit my self knowing I am due an oil change and have put it off debating because when I check my oil (about every 6-8 hours and before I start a new day) is usually looks clean. It only makes since to play the conservative side (maybe somewhere lays inside me a bit of a lazy streak :O/ ) but not enough to not take care of such a great asset! I love this machine and don't want to abuse it.

/ New Terramite Forum #20  
Hey Travis, I am just attempting to take good care of such a great machine. I took a compression test on it the other day. First (cold engine test) test was about #145, then I put a shot of oil on the piston the compression went to about a 220. So what really is a normal number?