New threads indicators

/ New threads indicators #1  

Muhammad

Administrator
Tractor
None currently
Over the next few days I will be explaining some new features and how they differ from the way things worked on the old forum.

For starters, the new thread markings are a little bit different. On the old forum, when you viewed a forum, that entire forum would be marked as read on the main index, and threads inside that forum would remain unread unless they were clicked on, until your next login.

On this forum, the threads remain unread for 10 days, unless they are clicked, regardless of whether you log out or not.

At any time you can mark an individual forum as read, or all forums as read by using the "Mark This Forum Read" link under the "Forum Tools" drop-down menus within each forum.

The global mark as read is in the blue bar towards the bottom of the main index.

/ New threads indicators #2  
Muhammad said:
At any time you can mark an individual forum as read, or all forums as read by using the "Mark This Forum Read" link under the "Forum Tools" drop-down menus within each forum.

The global mark as read is in the blue bar towards the bottom of the main index.

I am blind, I cannot find forum tools?
Bob

/ New threads indicators
Check the attached screen shot.

Attachments

• Forum_Tools.gif
    Forum_Tools.gif
    63.5 KB · Views: 136
   / New threads indicators #4  
I don't believe this is a feature.

It is very confusing to keep threads hanging around and non read even after leaving TBN and coming back later. Other sites that use this software do not work like that. When a session is over it should be over.

Besides, when you use the Mark This Forum Read function you are taken back to an index of just this groups forums , not all forums or even where you came from.

/ New threads indicators
There are only three standard options... I just changed the settings again to automatic forum marking... but from the description I'm not sure that it will do what we want it to do. Let me know if you notice a difference.

/ New threads indicators #6  
Not much better.

One thing I notice is the the "last login time" on the top right of the main index is not updating all the time. For example, I have restarted IE6 3 times and entered TBN 3 times this morning each 5 minutes apart. The "last login time" still says my last login time from last nite. Additionally, each time I re-entered TBN the threads to read indicator on the main index was never changed even though I read every post in the forum in a previous session. The threads themselves were changed but the main index was not. Maybe these 2 issues are realted.

/ New threads indicators
Still looking into it...

/ New threads indicators #8  
Ok- I, like everyone else, am getting used to this new forum software. There are some good new changes- I've been able to subscribe to all the forums I want without having to scroll around the forums I don't ever read (and is on the same page (UserCP) as subscribed threads. Also, the "mark this forum read" is helpful- while automatic in the previous version it mostly fixes that issue, just takes some getting used to. So far I'm impressed and I think once we all get used to the new interface it will be great-thanks for all your hard work.