Buying Advice New TMT (Chinese ) 40hp ?

/ New TMT (Chinese ) 40hp ? #41  
So you admit, the quality even when it was new, was sub-par as, most people don't just tear an engine apart just because they want to freshen it up ..

Wrong- I never said that, and no one other than me even noticed it... but did ask why i was going to work on it- they would have left it alone.
Tearing into an engine to freshen them up is never done??

Obliviously You have never owned any hot rods or other 20 + year old engines that you might want to freshen up Whatever?.. the parts were inexpensive and i decided to replace the rings, fortunately the parts are not priced like the poor guy on a current thread with a John Deere that was quoted over 400 for each cylinder sleeve, mine cost $55 and had the Shanghai / New Holland markings on it ( They are a joint venture company). the rings were $85- that is a complete set of 4 including the oil rings for all 4
the John Deere $ 132 per cylinder!!
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/343532-old-pistons-new-rings-not.html

Gees- that sounds similar to the to the JD engine in My 550g long track- hopefully the jd hangs in there.

The only reason I (or anyone else I know) would tear anything apart, would be because there are problems. Again,, for the few chinese tractors that are sold.. they have a lot of problems that the new major brands just don't have.
Have you read many of the posts lately? Plenty of problems...

It's also not true if he buys a used name brand ,there will be a good chance he'll be working on it...I have several friends that have bought used JD'S ,Kubota's, Massey's ,etc, and have not had to turn a wrench other than change oil, and repair flat tires...,That being said,, you can buy a used name brand, that has been beat to death..

Some cases yes some no Luck of the draw?

About your FIL's yanmar.. He most likely bought a worn out yanmar,, Also, keep in mind,, These yanmar tractors are 30+ yrs old. If the tractor was rode hard and put up wet,, it's expected to have problems..

(Your tractor or the other chinese tractors with all the issues aren't 30 + yr old tractors
)

no it is only 20 + years old... with all the issues?? :laughing::laughing:
for a machine that cost me the equivalent of my FILs 2310d cost him

Issues? Some of them are being able to do jobs that these little Yanmars are incapable of like -

not needing an over running clutch for my PTO when running a brush hog- so it doesn't try kill me by pushing my tractor thru a fence- (happened to FIL) before purchasing an add on over run clutch.

running an 85 inch tiller,
running an 85 inch snow blower for 10+ years-now sold
running category 2 implements with a 1000 rpm fine spline pto,
pulling a 3-5 bottom plow, and having draft control at the finger tip
pulling a 6and 1/2 ' disc harrow
lifting well over a ton with the FEL to 10 feet, which allows loading my GMC 7000 dump truck
having 3 independent hydraulic pumps- so the steering is never out of power
or the 3 point
or the FEL and power beyond for remotes.
those are some of the (issues) that are different for two tractors that were bought for the same money.
The 554 has cost less in parts replacement,and maintenance-even including the engine work done(whether needed or not):)

Once again to the OP if you are in doubt or have reservations about trusting or buying a chinese tractor - DO NOT DO IT

buy the machine YOU want- be it a new or used Name Brand and enjoy it

Last edited:
   / New TMT (Chinese ) 40hp ? #42  
From the little bit of actual pricing I've seen on Chinese tractors here in the U.S. I'm not that impressed...they don't seem nearly as inexpensive as I would expect. I found this article on a Jinma dealer's website, and found it sort of interesting:

"If you are totally new to Jinma ? You must do some research. A Jinma is not for everyone just like a Ford truck is not for everyone.

New Jinma tractors can be purchased broke down and in a steel crate. Ranch Hand Supply does not sell tractors in the crate. If you are considering purchasing a Jinma tractor in the factory crate Please Be Aware ..... I will list some of the things we experience with our tractors that we receive crated and some tid bits you should think about and research while shopping for a Jinma tractor dealer/seller.

The factory books that come with the Jinma tractors do not show, illustrate or read anything about how to assemble the tractor.

It states nothing on what should be done to the tractor prior to it being put to service/work.

All the oils that come in the tractors is a very poor quality oil and must be replaced. The books do not mention this or what USA oils they recommend.

We have never un-crated one and found it half put together but, No Quality Control program has been performed at the factory. These tractors must have proper service/prep and fine tune adjustments made ..... again, not in books. As long as someone has done it they make great little tractors.

The factory books do not give any step by step guides to trouble shooting problems with detail.

The factory books do not provide you with a step by step clear guide to adjust the clutch, adjust the valves, replace the water pump, repair the hydraulics etc, etc.....

Needed no charge Warranty Parts are between you and the one you purchased your tractor from. All Jinma sellers are independent of each other and warranties will differ.

Free replacement parts from shipping damage are between you and the one you purchased your tractor from.

Missing parts are between you and the one you purchased your tractor from.

We are not trying to tell you not to buy a crate tractor.... just do your home work first.

All sellers don't offer the same warranty period. We offer a one parts and labor only warranty or a One year parts only warranty and that includes Technical Assistance with pictures via email.

Your customer service , warranty, technical assistance and replacement parts availability is something you should consider when deciding on who to purchase from.

Would you rather call or email the people you purchased your Jinma from when you have questions, need replacement parts, or go on the internet and try to find someone that will help you?"

What's even more interesting is that when you go to look at the models they sell, and it says "Sorry, we are sold out," and they say "We are waiting for the market demand/economy to improve." If a Chinese tractor dealer says they're waiting for market demand to improve, that tells me something.

I've seen a lot of adds just like that almost verbatim. I think it is because a lot of these so-called dealers would be guys like me: I get a gal from China to call me from an Alibaba inquiry and discover I can get 10 tractors for basically the price of 2. I don't need 10, but I could drain the shipping fluids, put the wheels and lift arms on, stick a sign out front, and get one of my sons to put me up a website. Shazaam, I'm an instant tractor dealership. Whether or not I actually want to keep dealing with the hassels of business ownership after I sell the 9 tractors is inconsequential.

/ New TMT (Chinese ) 40hp ? #43  
)

no it is only 20 + years old... with all the issues?? :laughing::laughing:
for a machine that cost me the equivalent of my FILs 2310d cost him

Issues? Some of them are being able to do jobs that these little Yanmars are incapable of like -

not needing an over running clutch for my PTO when running a brush hog- so it doesn't try kill me by pushing my tractor thru a fence- (happened to FIL) before purchasing an add on over run clutch.

running an 85 inch tiller,
running an 85 inch snow blower for 10+ years-now sold
running category 2 implements with a 1000 rpm fine spline pto,
pulling a 3-5 bottom plow, and having draft control at the finger tip
pulling a 6and 1/2 ' disc harrow
lifting well over a ton with the FEL to 10 feet, which allows loading my GMC 7000 dump truck
having 3 independent hydraulic pumps- so the steering is never out of power
or the 3 point
or the FEL and power beyond for remotes.
those are some of the (issues) that are different for two tractors that were bought for the same money.
The 554 has cost less in parts replacement,and maintenance-even including the engine work done(whether needed or not):)

Once again to the OP if you are in doubt or have reservations about trusting or buying a chinese tractor - DO NOT DO IT

buy the machine YOU want- be it a new or used Name Brand and enjoy it

To have to "freshen up an engine just because " (yeah right!) :rolleyes::rolleyes: I would say that's a lot of issues in it's self..I'm sure there are other issues you won't want to discuss at this point:rolleyes:

Well,I don't know anything about your FIL'S 2310 .If he bought a piece of junk used tractor then, please have someone go with him next purchase he makes, as he has no idea how to purchase used equipment ...I paid 7K for my 30 +yr old tractor and only have replaced a wheel seal ..

I have no doubt your tractor will run larger implements than my tractor.. If I owned a 50 hp tractor it name brand tractor , it would not only be able to run the same implements as your tractor.. It would have done so with out having to rebuild the engine,and my name brand tractor would run these implements day in ,and day out without major issues !

to the OP. If you want a reliable machine (tractor) that will work day in ,and day out without having to rebuild the engine with low hrs.. Buy a major brand....
If you want a tractor that is for hobby farming, light duty occasional use no dealer support, buy a chinese tractor

End the end,,, you get what you pay for .. Quality isn't cheap !