Rotary Cutter New to bush hogging , safety question

/ New to bush hogging , safety question #11  
Chains front and back and headphones.

/ New to bush hogging , safety question #12  
Using chains always presents the opportunity for the chains to be pulled in when backing and the blades hitting andx breaking them and then the pieces become missiles.
If your chains are long enough that they can be hit by the blades, they are too long.

I wouls see about borrowing a sickle bar mower or renting a disc mower from someone to do the first cutting as you have no idea what can be lurking in the brush that could also damage your tractor.
What, no recommendation for a flail mower? :D

Aaron Z

/ New to bush hogging , safety question #13  
I think you should have got a MOTT mower. They don't send stuff flying.

/ New to bush hogging , safety question #14  
Aaron Z,

your post didn't come up on my screen until after I posted mine even though they are an hour apart.

Yes, a flail mower is the only safer way to go.

/ New to bush hogging , safety question #15  
Aaron Z,

your post didn't come up on my screen until after I posted mine even though they are an hour apart.

Yes, a flail mower is the only safer way to go.

Time Zones!:rolleyes:

/ New to bush hogging , safety question #17  
I was caught by surprise cutting some briers in my pasture in an area I haven't mowed before and ran over an old rusty car wheel. It made a **** of a racket for a few seconds. I drive with one hand on the 3pt hitch position control. I was spring-loaded to raise the BH and got it up pretty quick. No real damage, but just points out the unexpected seems to happen here and there.

/ New to bush hogging , safety question #18  
i was brushmowing without any chains or rubber and hit a 5"dia log and it flew over 20 yards out the back so i would get some type of guard and be prepared for loud thuds because even larger brush will make a good bang

/ New to bush hogging , safety question #19  
Not meaning to hijack...but last summer I got into a nest of yellowjackets while bush hogging a field on my property. Lemme tell ya, that's no man's land. Once they started stinging me, I threw the tractor into fourth gear. In that gear, I'm still going pretty slow, so I ended up getting stung 7 times before they left me alone.