New to Forum. And a Question.

/ New to Forum. And a Question. #1  

Juror110

Tractor
Massey-Ferguson 65
Hi. I'm new to this forum having just acquired my first Massey Ferguson 65 diesel. Seems like a great tractor with plenty of horsepower. I've a problem, however, with the hydraulics for the three-point hitch leaking down. Is this a common issue with the MF65? If so, and even if not, could you possibly give me some insight into possible causes? This is my first three-point hitch tractor. I've owned a Farmall Cub for the past year, like it a lot but needed something that could pull larger implements. I have ordered the operator's manual for this tractor and am awaiting its arrival. Thanks in advance for your knowledge and help.

Jeff

PS. I'll try to add a photo here. Hey, it worked.

Attachments

• Angus.JPG
    Angus.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 142
   / New to Forum. And a Question. #2  
G'day and welcome to TBN:thumbsup: when you say leaking down is it only doing this with the engine stopped if so then this is totally normal for one of these. They are a good old machine and it looks like you have a nice one there:thumbsup:

Jon

/ New to Forum. And a Question. #3  
Welcome to TBN, nice looking tractor! As banjodunn said, if your concerned with it bleeding down after you've shut it down don't be, it's normal, my 66 135 does it as well. I was concerned too until I spoke with people who run them.

/ New to Forum. And a Question. #5  
:welcome: Nice looking machine. I think it leaking down when engine is off is normal, my old Ford 3000 did the same. Even my new GC does it, just not to the extent my older Ford did.

Last edited:
   / New to Forum. And a Question.
Thanks for the replies, guys. the three point hitch will leak down even with the engine running if there's an implement attached to it. The previous owner made a couple chain brackets that hold up the hitch, and though this works fine, I think it just doesn't seem right. I'll get a photo of the brackets and post it this afternoon. Thanks

Jeff

I took a few photos of the brackets I'm talking about. This is the way the previous owner held up the hitch. Not a bad job, but I'd like to fix the issue if I can. Thank you.

Jeff

Attachments

• Angus Brackets.JPG
    Angus Brackets.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 124
  • Angus Brackets1.JPG
    Angus Brackets1.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 134
   / New to Forum. And a Question. #9  
The attached thread may help with some possible causes for your problem. Don't know if the tractor has difficulty lifting heavier attachments as well as maintaining them at the selected height or if it is a problem with controlling the three point in any position. If you can talk to the original owner to find out any maintenance or troubleshooting he may have done, hopefully he has an idea what the problem is and won't mind sharing.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/massey-ferguson-owning-operating/179422-question-about-35-a.html

Thank you, Mike, for your response. I read that thread and am about to order the shop manual for my MF65. I received the operator's manual yesterday, good info in there, but nothing real maintenance related.

Take care,
Jeff