New to me Bark Buster

/ New to me Bark Buster #1  

milkman

Elite Member
Ky. Between Dead Horse Holler and Yellowbank
Tractor
BX2200, BCS 735
Been looking for one of these for a couple of years, found it about 35 miles away. I know, I know, you'll put your eye out.

Attachments

• DSCF0136 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0136 (Medium).JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCF0137 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0137 (Medium).JPG
    189 KB · Views: 457
  • DSCF0138 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0138 (Medium).JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 384
  • DSCF0139 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0139 (Medium).JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 280
  • DSCF0140 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0140 (Medium).JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 199
  • DSCF0141 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0141 (Medium).JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 303
  • DSCF0142 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0142 (Medium).JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 358
   / New to me Bark Buster #2  
Hey Milkman,

I have one just like that and it works very well. I run it around 1400-1500 engine rpm and that is about as fast as it need to be for my taste. If you figure out a way to lube the bearings please let me know as I have been unable to come up with a solution and even posted about it here.
It will work great just be careful.

I almost forgot. Just a few weeks ago a bought a small pickaroon to pull out the split wood from under the splitter. That way I don't have to reach under it or be any closer to the spinning shaft as I have to be.

Last edited:
   / New to me Bark Buster
I wondered about greasing the bearings too, must be sealed for life. As soon as my knee lets me, I will try it out and if it works then I'll clean it up and paint it. I've got the material and thinking about making a table like this one YouTube - HyCrack Log Splitter in action. , looks easier to me and would be easy to make the table.

/ New to me Bark Buster #4  
I thought of doing the exact same thing. That table on that British splitter works rather well and the split pieces don't just fall to the ground. I thought of making it a removable addition just in case something gets stuck between the splitter cone and the table. Unfortunately it is kind of far down on the priority list for me because the splitter works quite well as it is so it would be hard to justify spending time on it. I sent PM's to other members who have the same splitter asking about the lubing of the bearings. They both said it is a sealed bearing and have not come up with a lubing solution or had the need to do so.

/ New to me Bark Buster #5  
OK the one on the utube vid makes sense, but how in the world do you use the one you have? Do you have to hold the whole piece of wood up while pushing it in on the splitter? And i have never seen or heard of one of these. I want one now as i dont have remotes on my tractor.

/ New to me Bark Buster

Attachments

• DSCF0138 Bar.jpg
    DSCF0138 Bar.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 456
   / New to me Bark Buster #7  
My gosh thats slow, i hope yours is faster than that. I can split it by hand 5 times faster. I cut about 6 sticks stand them all on end then bust them all then turn the 12 pieces on end then the 24 and so on. I usually have my wife stand them up for me so its a nonstop process, keeps me from bending over and i can go faster. Or, once i get to about 12 pieces i will take a few second breake while she stands them and once its to 20+ pieces i will help stand them on end.

Granted im 28 but i think even when im 45 i still can move faster than that.

/ New to me Bark Buster #8  
I used one of those Bark Busters for about six years before getting a hydraulic unit. It will do the job for you but be careful! It is not the safest machine to use. A couple of times I had to remove the cone and use an axe and a wedge to remove the piece of wood I was trying to split. Back in those days I was using a 8N to power it, and sometimes it would stall the tractor. Good luck and stay safe.

/ New to me Bark Buster #9  
My gosh thats slow, i hope yours is faster than that. I can split it by hand 5 times faster.

I don't split any wood, but that's what I was thinking. Am I wrong that a regular splitter is a LOT faster? Not to mention less chance for an accident.

/ New to me Bark Buster
I haven't used it yet, but the black bar is where the wood rests as it is pulled onto the screw, the orange bar is sort of a safety to keep the operator away from the point. The splitter works like the one in this video. YouTube - log splitter screw type

I posted this video only in response to the a question about holding the wood on the screw, it is of a cone on a B/S 5hp and it is really slow, but shows how the bar keeps the wood from spinning with the screw, and you don't have to hold the wood with your hands. This video YouTube - HyCrack Log Splitter in action. shows one working on the PTO of a tractor and it seems to split about the same speed as a hydraulic wood splitter wedge, and there's no waiting for the cylinder to return or wait for it to move from the stop position to the wood, so I think it will be at least as fast as an hydraulic splitter. I know it LOOKS dangerous, but I also use a chainsaw. When I get a chance to use it, I'll make a video, I'll have to teach my brother to use the camera, I made a video plowing the garden and he claimed he didn't know how to use the camera so he got to do the plowing and have all the fun. This time, I will be doing the screwin'.:thumbsup::laughing: