New to me BX25, what recommended mods/improvements to do?

/ New to me BX25, what recommended mods/improvements to do? #1  

falfrenzy

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25d
So I settled on a like new 2008 BX25 with 172 hours (I know, right!) backhoe, FEL, and belly mower.

I spent 12 hours on it this weekend putting it to work back filling 400 feet of 3' deep trench (rented its step brother; a KX121-3 mini-ex to dig the trench) with the FEL (wishing every second I had an angle blade), digging a couple holes with the backhoe, and moving 15 ton of pea gravel with the FEL.

Wishing the FEL was a little stronger, but I was only running 2700 RPM on average. A bucketfull of pea gravel seemed to be close to its limit. Backhoe use seemed to like ~3000 RPM to move at a non-sluggish pace.

The prior owner would probably have a heart attack seeing what his garage queen looks like now, LOL. The FEL bucket is missing paint in the places it should, inside from moving rock, and the bottom from smoothing that rock out on a driveway. Backhoe is dirty, and whole machine has some "tree-generated pinstriping", but not too bad.

Got familiar with a grease gun too, see why people buy a battery powered model.

I found out that the quickest way to blaze a path throu 1-2" diameter pin oak saplings it to ground level the FEL bucket, crank the RPM, and lock the rear diff, cause a bulldozer is coming thru! A stick that is jammed right above the front right tire can find and knock out the molex plug into the starter loose, I'm thankful the stick was still wedged in there, I don't know how long it would have taken me to find that plug. Also had a sapling fight back and come thru the hole in the floor under the forward hydro pedal, and push my foot off the pedal,that was a surprise (and could have been bad if it was sharpened, probably an omen to stop playing sapling bulldozer and use my Stihl brushcutter, or buy a 3PH rotary cutter).

In saying all that, wondered what mods/fixes are recommended for this series (60 series?)?
The oil and hydraulic filters have been changed at somepoint because they are white, not factory gray. I am contemplating a sheet metal guard box/skidplate for around the hydraulic filter underneath the machine, too vunerable IMHO as I have removed the belly mower. I bought an air filter from the dealership as the one in it was pretty dirty.

Also curious how those of you with one have made mods, custom changes. A mounted toolbox is high on the priority list, but trying to find a place to mount it with the backhoe on is proving tricky.

/ New to me BX25, what recommended mods/improvements to do? #2  
First thing I would do is check the flimsy hydro fan since you went through all those saplings. A stick will take out the blades on the plastic fan. Aftermarket guards are available to keep this from happening. You would love a Piranha tooth bar for the front bucket. These things are sharp and really will blaze a trail and help with digging to. A thumb for the backhoe is also a nice option.

Great machine....you will have lots of fun with it.

Ryan

/ New to me BX25, what recommended mods/improvements to do? #4  
   / New to me BX25, what recommended mods/improvements to do?
Other than the fan shroud that Ryan98 mentioned, are there any "factory defects" or poor engineering issues that need addressed?

/ New to me BX25, what recommended mods/improvements to do? #6  
The rubber boots on the hydraulic steering ends are known to age and crack apart quickly.

The CV boots on the driveshafts can also start to come apart.

The HST cooling fan is potentially not with fan blades any longer after your demolition banzi run, that fan is on the rear end of the rear driveshaft at the entry point to your rear axle. You can easily weld up a shield in an afternoon with scrap steel.

There are some photos attached to help you out. Also, check YouTube for more.

Attachments

• IMG_20171023_180310866.jpg
    IMG_20171023_180310866.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_20171023_180259851.jpg
    IMG_20171023_180259851.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 196
  • BX25 HST Fan Broke.jpg
    BX25 HST Fan Broke.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 198
  • BX25D Skid pre weld up.jpg
    BX25D Skid pre weld up.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 171
  • BX25D Skid mod installed 1.jpg
    BX25D Skid mod installed 1.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 150
  • BX25D Skid mod installed 2.jpg
    BX25D Skid mod installed 2.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 201
  • BX25D Skid mod installed 3.jpg
    BX25D Skid mod installed 3.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 160
  • Tooth Bar Fitted.jpg
    Tooth Bar Fitted.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 173
  • BX25D D-Rings installed 1 .jpg
    BX25D D-Rings installed 1 .jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 179
   / New to me BX25, what recommended mods/improvements to do? #7  
Rear wheel spacers

Foam fill the front tires

Grapple is the best attachment after that.

/ New to me BX25, what recommended mods/improvements to do?
Rock Crawler I am unable to see the photos you posted.

Yes on the hydraulic steering boot deteriation, noticed that when I crawled under to remove the belly mower.

/ New to me BX25, what recommended mods/improvements to do? #10  
Rock Crawler I am unable to see the photos you posted.

Yes on the hydraulic steering boot deteriation, noticed that when I crawled under to remove the belly mower.
Are you in the Tapatalk program? I use that forum application to serve photos and access forums.