New to me...Dearborn 10-1 2 BT plow

/ New to me...Dearborn 10-1 2 BT plow #11  
Sassafraspete I was lucky as I haven't needed any parts for the Dearborn plow other than a new landside wheel (tail-wheel). I ordered it through Redwood Equipment at 707-586-1790 although I understand most New Holland dealers can special order parts that may still be available.

/ New to me...Dearborn 10-1 2 BT plow #12  
Pete:

Chances are it would be easier to get a welder to build up the point.

Remember Dad using the forge to sharpen the points and then the repalaceable point came onto the scene.

When there was a rush on things were taken to the local blacksmith. It was kinda neat watching the blacksmith do his work. There are smells and sounds that will never be lost.

If I rember properly the shares lasted a long time. The points were replaced quite frequently.
Doubt you would be able to wear out a good set on your " LITTLE GARDEN " plots. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon

/ New to me...Dearborn 10-1 2 BT plow
Egon, you read my mind. I may have a white elephant on my hands as far as ever replacing the moldboards or shares. Looks like the welder option might be a viable option. (not in my hands).

We actually used to have a super blacksmith in our neighborhood. Unfortunately, he went big time on us. His wife who came from a well to do family, did a great job of marketing his doo-dads to people in the big cities. He started doing a lot of artsy stuff that sold for big dollars. He left our neighborhood for greener pastures.

I'll know something in a month or so when the ground dries out and I can actually try out the old plow on my "little garden". I have spent many hours pulling the newer version of this plow...eg the ford with replacable shares and shins. Hopefully I will remember a couple of things. As I remember it... usually by the time I was finished plowing, I finally had the thing adjusted right....then it was ready to park it for another year. If we forgot to grease or paint the plow after use and it rusted...we would just take it to the creek the next time we used it and plow in a gravel bar (sandstone) until we got the moldboard shiny.

I may have to just sell this one and invest a few more dollars on one of the newer ford versions that you can still get parts for. I guess I should have investigated better before my impulsive buy. I am just a plow greenhorn....

sassafraspete

/ New to me...Dearborn 10-1 2 BT plow #14  
That 10-1 is a good plow. i've got one.

soundguy