Oil & Fuel New to me YM2500

/ New to me YM2500
So tonight I did pour clean diesel just to flush the system but did not run the tractor. Couple of gallons then drain and did this till it was coming relatively clear of milkshake. I am leaving the plugs open so that it finishes draining overnight. I will fill with proper fluid in the morning and then let it run with fresh fluid. Hopefully this will continue cleaning out the system and I can then drain and clean filter etc. The filter when I took it out was filthy and slimy so I'm sure it will be the same. So does anyone have an idea of how many gallons is required for the minimum amount of fluid with a fel as i don't want to use all 5 gal. Just for the run and flush. Also if i do this is there any caveats in doing this or should I just put the right amount an run it for a few hours?

Thank you all in advance

/ New to me YM2500 #22  
Seems to me that just enough fluid so the pump can pick it up reliably while exercising the loader and 3-point, is sufficient. Maybe a couple of gallons. Listen for pump cavitation. I think the larger reservoir capacity is just to shed heat, so not relevant for this.

Particularly for a Powershift model, circulating (engine running) enough changes of clean fluid until what you drain is clean, is the goal.

You mentioned hours but I think at least the initial flush can be shorter than that since it's just to push out the ugliest stuff.

/ New to me YM2500 #23  
Rinsing it out with diesel should have helped get any grunge out.

Yes, I don't think that you don't need to run it for hours, and I don't think you should. First pass, the goals is to get cleaner fluid out to all of your circuits (your cylinders, FEL & 3PT), which do need to be cycled a few times for that to happen. Any amount of grunge that gets suspended is a bonus. Drain, clean the filter, and check for milkshake/grunge. If you still have grunge or milkshake, then repeat, but I doubt that you will. If you don't, fill it up, use it for a few hours, drain while hot, clean the filter, refill it and call it good.

FWIW: I don't think that you have to fill it all the way the first time, but I don't think it hurts either.

All the best,

Peter

/ New to me YM2500
So this morning I closed every thing up put the filter in etc after letting it drain all night. put fluid in and started it up. So now the 3point works, and the loader with no noises and working smooth. I am going to post a video with it running shortly and hopefully it sounds normal for a 3cyl. :) the next thing to sort out is throttle control because if I press the accelerator it is sluggish to respond and when I let it go the idle drops down and will shut off the tractor if I don't press it back in full throttle. I've never owned a tractor and this might be normal. I did check the linkage and it looked all intact.

Back to figuring it out with your help which is much appreciated.

/ New to me YM2500 #26  
So this morning I closed every thing up put the filter in etc after letting it drain all night. put fluid in and started it up. So now the 3point works, and the loader with no noises and working smooth. I am going to post a video with it running shortly and hopefully it sounds normal for a 3cyl. :) the next thing to sort out is throttle control because if I press the accelerator it is sluggish to respond and when I let it go the idle drops down and will shut off the tractor if I don't press it back in full throttle. I've never owned a tractor and this might be normal. I did check the linkage and it looked all intact.

Back to figuring it out with your help which is much appreciated.

Per Winston's posted diagram, friction washers or a spring keeps the throttle lever from slipping back below idle. Mine slips from 1400rpms to just the idle detent. I know, I got to check mine out too. BUT, mine doesn't slipp past the detent to turn off. Thus, you have 2 issues to contend with.

OK, I'll next listen to the engine vid as we both have the SAME engine. :)

/ New to me YM2500 #27  
Here is a video of it running.

Hmmm. What RPM speed was it set to? Sounds more like 2200RPMs. A bit high for idle. Per the manuals for the YM2500 and the JD850, the idle is to be in the range of 800 to 1,200 RPMs.

Your exhaust has a tin can sound, and looking at the exhaust muffler, it tells the reason why. ;) My 3T80 has the closest aftermarket exhaust muffler and sounds more in tune to the engine. The vid didn't show the top of the exhaust pipe. Is it a bent over pipe or does it have the clapper hinged lid cover? It sounds 'alright', but I never run my machine at high RPMs just sitting there. There is a vibration noise from a panel or something hearing it run that high.

You are right, under the seat has no spring shield over the spring.

Ah really nice! You have the right lift arm EZ crank adjuster like the John Deere machines. :)

I would strongly recommend a PTO shield knowing you have a mower attachment. AND - - - at the present time, DO NOT hook up that mower to the tractor until you have one of these on the PTO spindle shaft out the back end.

These Gray Market machines have no overrun protection. Running the PTO without one can cause serious injury or tractor total failure in the gearbox costing a few thousand to repair.

Last edited:
   / New to me YM2500
It did have the idle pretty high, I will get a video of the sound when the idle is lower and what it sounds like when the pedal is pressed. Also yes the exhaust is a bent over no flapper. I do have a PTO Shield and the overrun clutch that need to be installed :D but thank you for the information as safety for me is number #1. As soon as I get the tractor working fully I am also getting the ROPS when it comes back in stock.

/ New to me YM2500 #29  
It did have the idle pretty high, I will get a video of the sound when the idle is lower and what it sounds like when the pedal is pressed. Also yes the exhaust is a bent over no flapper. I do have a PTO Shield and the overrun clutch that need to be installed :D but thank you for the information as safety for me is number #1. As soon as I get the tractor working fully I am also getting the ROPS when it comes back in stock.

Oh, I'm not a fan of that bent over pipe because water can still get into the engine and make it rust and then seize if it sat too long. The flapper works really well. Otherwise, like many farmers do, they put a soup can over the top when it's parked and not running.

Good to hear on the other safety items. Your are already ahead. For the OverRun clutch, It's on the machine 24/7. no need to take it off. IT works on all my PTO driven attachments.

As for ROPs, you have a slew of options. Both Yanmar domestic, Yanmar aftermarket via Custom Products with Fredricks and with John Deere 50 Series compacts. (not the 50 Series huge machines LOL) Some are foldable, some are goal posts and some are just a looped bar pipe. When I had my JD850, looking for a ROPs provided a few nice options.

/ New to me YM2500
So I had a bit of time to go out and see if i could get the idle sorted. But can't find the reason. If i drive the tractor around it runs fine but there is not pedal response and or you will hear it surge then drop in rpms. I took a video of me pressing the accelerator and then you can hear it fumble. I then save it by pulling the lever. I then slowly move the lever forward to try and get to a lower idle but you can hear it lower and surge till it eventually dies when the rps are around 1200. My next step is to put a clear hose and make sure there are no bubbles in the lines etc but i find it hard to believe as it runs awesome when at 2200 rpms or pto speed.

Here is the link to the video.