Oil & Fuel new to mf 135

/ new to mf 135 #11  
MasseyWV said:
Are you sure the serial number plate is missing? The serial number plate was located in a number of different places on the Massey 135, depending on the model year. The lower dash and either side of the battery box are three of the most common places it's located. Here is a list of Massey 135 serial numbers:

1964: 641000001
1965: 641001909
1966: 641014871
1967: 9A10001
1968: 9A39836
1969: 9A63158
1970: 9A87325
1971: 9A107519
1972: 9A128141
1973: 9A152025
1974: 9A182761
1975: 9A207681

They say that pictures speak a thousand words, and from observing the evidence shown in the pictures you provided, I've deduced that you're Massey 135 tractor is probably a 1967-1968 model.

1. Generator SN:9A38905 (1968) and prior.

2. Vented hood side panel SN:641015107 (1967) and up.

3. Front rims on tractors prior to 1973 were red and silver, later models had solid red front rims.

4. Air cleaner SN:9A108723 (1971) and prior, 6 Speed transmissions.

Speaking of the air cleaner assembly, yours appears to be missing. The OEM part number is 523416M93. Here is a picture showing where it should be located.

Lastly, the transmission holds 8 U.S. gallons of standard hydraulic oil which is shared by the transmission and hydraulic system. The transmission fill plug is located just below the gear shift, on the left. The transmission dipstick is located on the right side of the tractor, on the same side as the air filter location shown above, behind your right foot as you would be sitting on the tractor, and is part of the bolt-on hydraulic flow control side plate.

Judging from the patina on the seats and fenders the hood has either been repainted or replaced. ( no decals) All sheet metal (replacement) for 135 hoods are sold with side vents, so that theory can only be a guess. There is a plate that is located behind the distributor and coil that is riveted to the engine block that gets painted over frequently might tell the tail. If the plate is still there is could be carefully stripped of paint to reveal it's birthdate.

/ new to mf 135 #12  
Judging from the patina on the seats and fenders the hood has either been repainted or replaced. ( no decals) All sheet metal (replacement) for 135 hoods are sold with side vents, so that theory can only be a guess. There is a plate that is located behind the distributor and coil that is riveted to the engine block that gets painted over frequently might tell the tail. If the plate is still there is could be carefully stripped of paint to reveal it's birthdate.

The information I provided was not a guess, it was based on facts, and if you had bothered to do any research, you'd know that. Yes, the sheet-metal was clearly repainted, but it does not appear to have been replaced.

The Massey 135 tractor had two serial number data tags, one with the tractor serial number and one with the engine serial number. The tractor serial number would reveal when the tractor was made, and the engine serial number *could* reveal when the engine was made. It's true that as a last resort the engine serial number *could* be used to get an approximate date of manufacture, but it's best to try to locate the tractor serial number first.

The following links explain how to locate and decode Perkins engine serial numbers, if one can be found.

Perkins Engine Number Guide and Number Location Guide

Perkins Engine Serial Number Information: Engine Builder

Last edited:
   / new to mf 135 #13  
MasseyWV said:
The information I provided was not a guess, it was based on facts, and if you had bothered to do any research, you'd know that. Yes, the sheet-metal was clearly repainted, but it does not appear to have been replaced.

The Massey 135 tractor had two serial number data tags, one with the tractor serial number and one with the engine serial number. The tractor serial number would reveal when the tractor was made, and the engine serial number *could* reveal when the engine was made. It's true that as a last resort the engine serial number *could* be used to get an approximate date of manufacture, but it's best to try to locate the tractor serial number first.

The following links explain how to locate and decode Perkins engine serial numbers, if one can be found.

Perkins Engine Number Guide and Number Location Guide

Perkins Engine Serial Number Information: Engine Builder

Thanks masseyWv. The guy said the tags where missing. The repaint was your clue to it's age. Well done. Thanks -Robert

/ new to mf 135 #14  
I would agree with the estimate of 67-68 model year. Curiously the step / footrests appear to have been replaced with a set from a TO20/TO30 or a 275. Standard steps are rectangular in shape that I've seen in my research for the 135s.

/ new to mf 135 #15  
flusher said:
The serial # plate on my 1964 MF135 diesel is located on the right side of the battery support plate behind the air filter. It's a bit hard to see unless you move that filter out of the way.

My 65 Continental is the same. It appears on mine the plate is held on with Phillip head screws. The engine plate appears to be tamper proof rivets. If there is four tiny holes where that plate should be on his tractor could give a clue. Some years where mounted on the lower left instrument panel. Without better pictures with closeups I'd be guessing. My operators manual clearly shows both locations on a Continental 4cyl but not the Perkins. -Robert

/ new to mf 135 #16  
My 65 Continental is the same. It appears on mine the plate is held on with Phillip head screws. The engine plate appears to be tamper proof rivets. If there is four tiny holes where that plate should be on his tractor could give a clue. Some years where mounted on the lower left instrument panel. Without better pictures with closeups I'd be guessing. My operators manual clearly shows both locations on a Continental 4cyl but not the Perkins. -Robert

Not my 135 but the data plate on mine is located in the same spot, lower left of the instument cowl.

Attachments

• MF135s-ON.jpg
    MF135s-ON.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 2,498
   / new to mf 135 #17  
Mike476 said:
Not my 135 but the data plate on mine is located in the same spot, lower left of the instument cowl.

The difference could be because yours has two gauges and mine has a proofmeter/tach with four gauges. There is a mystery slot of mine on the lower right side which could have displayed a sort of serial number.

/ new to mf 135
Thanks guys for the info and Masseywv im checking the engine serial number i found a number on the right hand side stampon the head facing the instrument cowl. I think the instrument cowl has been replaced cause there is no screw holes in it any where. I also look where my breather should be and i didn't see any numbers there either. I do need to get a breather for it. But i went to change the oil and notice the round plate that has the screen around it for the oil pump to suck the iol through was leeking so i was going to change the gasket out on it but when i took it off i found my thrust washers laying in the oil pan only two of them so i dont know if some has worked on this engine and didn't put all four back if thats why they fell out or not still working on that.

/ new to mf 135 #19  
The repaint was your clue to it's age.

No, it wasn't. Just because the sheet-metal was repainted, does not mean it's been replaced. Tractors are repainted all the time, and even though you're replacing the sheet-metal on your's, not everyone will. For instance, I'm repainting but not replacing my Massey 135 tractor's sheet-metal, and know of many others who have done the same.

I think the instrument cowl has been replaced cause there is no screw holes in it any where. I also look where my breather should be and i didn't see any numbers there either.

Not all Massey 135's had the tractor serial number tag on the dash/cowl. When searching for the tractor serial number tag where the breather should be, did you also look on the opposite side? If your's is a 1967-1968 model as suspected, it's very likely that your tractor serial number tag is in the same general location as mine. Note that my Massey 135 is a gas model with the Continental Z-145 engine, but that shouldn't make a difference. In your case, it could be behind the filters, and even if it's missing, there should be evidence of 4 small screw holes remaining.

2s0g2ll.jpg

Last edited:
   / new to mf 135
No, it wasn't. Just because the sheet-metal was repainted, does not mean it's been replaced. Tractors are repainted all the time, and even though you're replacing the sheet-metal on your's, not everyone will. For instance, I'm repainting but not replacing my Massey 135 tractor's sheet-metal, and know of many others who have done the same.

Not all Massey 135's had the tractor serial number tag on the dash/cowl. When searching for the tractor serial number tag where the breather should be, did you also look on the opposite side? If your's is a 1967-1968 model as suspected, it's very likely that your tractor serial number tag is in the same general location as mine. Note that my Massey 135 is a gas model with the Continental Z-145 engine, but that shouldn't make a difference. In your case, it could be behind the filters, and even if it's missing, there should be evidence of 4 small screw holes remaining.

2s0g2ll.jpg

I will look again on the other side. Do you know how hard it will be to drop the oil pan so i can replace the thrust washers. it doesn't look to bad but i don't know if i have to pull the front of the tractor apart or not