New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions.

/ New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions. #1  

6Scorpion7

Tractor
1155 Massey Ferguson
Hi All. I'm looking for a good mid size tractor, with 4wd and front end loader. My main tasks would be to maintain about 24 acres, using a rotary cutter, box blade, etc, and also very interested in a backhoe attachment. The people that I know, tell me around a 50hp tractor would fit my needs, but I would like some more opinions. I'm used to older 130+hp machines that can be cumbersome for smaller tasks like that, but I would like it to have some heft and grunt as I find that some of my property can be very deceivingly wet and muddy and I have a bad habit of getting my 9K+ lbs truck stuck on occasion. It would be good to know that it would at least be heavy/strong enough to help in that situation, should I not be close enough to a tree to winch out. I'm hearing good things about the mahindras and it seems they are a bit more price friendly, so that definitely has my interest. If anyone has any good advice or pointers for selecting a good tractor, that would be great. I look forward to learning more, as I get ready to make my purchase.

/ New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions. #2  
I have 20 acres but I also use my tractor on the 250+ acre hunt camp next to me. I have been very pleased with my 40HP LS and it was much less expensive than green or orange.

About the only time I wish for more HP is blowing snow and I wish I had bought the 50 HP engine. Tractor is used for road maintenance, firewood processing and food plots.

One caution on the LS but it applies to any tractor...shop the dealer. I am need a good dealer as I am not a wrencher.

/ New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions. #3  
need a few more details:
1. use for tractor, mowing? snow removal? ground engaging implements?
2. land conditions, you mentioned wet/muddy, but is it all trees? all open pasture? mixed? hilly?
3. do you need to travel on the road with the tractor?
4. do you need to trailer the tractor and if so how much weight can you tow?

/ New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions. #4  
I agree with DaBear. Depends on what you want to do. My neighbor with 5 acres has a humongous JD 4052. Me, with 8.5 acres and trails across 2 other neighbors, can do with 18.5 hp 2 or B series tractor. If you just mow trails and do a bit of other stuff, you could rent/hire a bigger tractor to once/yr or once every other year bush hog stuff and to get your truck unstuck.

/ New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions. #5  
I agree with DaBear. Depends on what you want to do. My neighbor with 5 acres has a humongous JD 4052. Me, with 8.5 acres and trails across 2 other neighbors, can do with 18.5 hp 2 or B series tractor. If you just mow trails and do a bit of other stuff, you could rent/hire a bigger tractor to once/yr or once every other year bush hog stuff and to get your truck unstuck.
yep different tasks and different people will have a different perfect tractor, for me my 5145 is probably overkill but then some of the brush im clearing i would hate to tackle with less weight. For my 11 acres the 7000lb tank is still small enough to maneuver but heavy enough to root up 4 inch trees without issue

/ New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions.

My primary use will be cutting the field with a rotary cutter, but I will definitely be using the front end loader for moving downed trees, brush, dirt, etc. There is always downed trees falling into a creek on the property and a good strong front end loader and a decent sized tractor would make getting these out a lot easier. Will also be doing a lot of maintenance to a long gravel road. I'm also thinking of building a small rv park, and expanding a little at a time, so I would like to be able to use a backhoe attachment for septic systems, water lines, etc. My land is not hilly at all. Mostly flat and level. I would possibly travel on the road, as I have other property within 5 minutes from my main property. All together about 80 acres. The only time I would need to trailer is if taking it in for service, or if I did work for friends or family. Not sure about towing. My srw F350 is rated for 15,700 for goose neck, but I'd have to double check bumper pull. I definitely need bigger than a 35hp as some of the things we have needed the tractor for, as mentioned above, the 25 and 35's my friends have, just weren't up for the task.

/ New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions. #7  
With what you are describing, I'm wondering if something like the Kubota M62 would be the best fit for you.

I have a Mahindra 3550 which works well for what I do, and I think it does better in mud than the kubota would, due primarily to tire size. But the backhoe (I have a 75B) is not as capable, and Mahindra doesn't offer the 3550 with the 75B backhoe anymore - I think the 65B is pretty undersized for the machine.

My 3550 is a pretty heavy machine (similar to the M62), and works well for me doing heavy work - but that extra weight isn't necessarily a good thing when trying to climb hills, or when towing.

/ New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions. #8  
My primary use will be cutting the field with a rotary cutter, but I will definitely be using the front end loader for moving downed trees, brush, dirt, etc. There is always downed trees falling into a creek on the property and a good strong front end loader and a decent sized tractor would make getting these out a lot easier. Will also be doing a lot of maintenance to a long gravel road. I'm also thinking of building a small rv park, and expanding a little at a time, so I would like to be able to use a backhoe attachment for septic systems, water lines, etc. My land is not hilly at all. Mostly flat and level. I would possibly travel on the road, as I have other property within 5 minutes from my main property. All together about 80 acres. The only time I would need to trailer is if taking it in for service, or if I did work for friends or family. Not sure about towing. My srw F350 is rated for 15,700 for goose neck, but I'd have to double check bumper pull. I definitely need bigger than a 35hp as some of the things we have needed the tractor for, as mentioned above, the 25 and 35's my friends have, just weren't up for the task.
Sounds like you already know what you're going to buy and you're just looking for validation. It's your money, spend as much as you want.

/ New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions.
Sounds like you already know what you're going to buy and you're just looking for validation. It's your money, spend as much as you want.
Sounds like you could have skipped the thread. I'm asking for opinions of different brands, models, configurations, whether I may need a 75+ or if a 50 would actually suit my needs, etc. I'm learning there can be 3 different sized tractors in lineups with the same output. Thanks for your thoughtfulness, though. 🤷‍♂️

/ New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions. #10  
Sounds like you could have skipped the thread. I'm asking for opinions of different brands, models, configurations, whether I may need a 75+ or if a 50 would actually suit my needs, etc. I'm learning there can be 3 different sized tractors in lineups with the same output. Thanks for your thoughtfulness, though. 🤷‍♂️
A 35hp would suit your needs. All of the major brands make good tractors. You posted to the Mahindra forum.